Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint / bumper repair Boxster 2008 question (general re: paint jobs)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 12:15 PM
mkdc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint / bumper repair Boxster 2008 question (general re: paint jobs)

I just moved to a smaller city and there aren’t any German auto body shops. I have some minor front bumper scratches on my 2008 dark blue metallic Boxster. Took it to a highly rated auto body shop, nothing fancy. Owner comes out and quotes me $350 to sand, prime and repaint bumper. Said it might not match perfectly will be a little brighter but based on our discussion seems like it will minor. They mix paint in house instead of ordering from Porsche. I know zip about paint and auto body repair. Is this standard or am I headed for disaster? I don’t need perfection on a 12 year old car but if I should spend a little more on factory ordered paint (is that a thing?) happy to do that and try to find more of a specialty shop.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:11 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mkdc
I just moved to a smaller city and there aren’t any German auto body shops. I have some minor front bumper scratches on my 2008 dark blue metallic Boxster. Took it to a highly rated auto body shop, nothing fancy. Owner comes out and quotes me $350 to sand, prime and repaint bumper. Said it might not match perfectly will be a little brighter but based on our discussion seems like it will minor. They mix paint in house instead of ordering from Porsche. I know zip about paint and auto body repair. Is this standard or am I headed for disaster? I don’t need perfection on a 12 year old car but if I should spend a little more on factory ordered paint (is that a thing?) happy to do that and try to find more of a specialty shop.
Mixing paint to match is standard. If it’s quality work, that is a great price. As cars age the colors change slightly so a custom mix is almost always required on a patch.
The following users liked this post:
E_rock_89 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:46 PM
E_rock_89
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, any of my older vehicles (10years+) required a custom paint mix to even come close to the actual paint color on the car. I paid about that price for half a rear bumper blend on an STI and it turned out great. I'd say go for it if the shop is reputable, or else the next guy will want to charge you for the whole bumper plus blend into hood and fenders. I've seen panels come in "prepainted to factory paint code" and when installed the difference in color is highly noticable. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Paint / bumper repair Boxster 2008 question (general re: paint jobs)