Sponsored by:

Heated Seats vs. Cold Butt

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 04:29 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Heated Seats vs. Cold Butt

I'm looking at an early Boxster. It does not have heated seats. I seem to remember reading many manufacturers build "one seat" for the assembly line. Then, as it moves along, if that car has headed seats they are "plugged into" the wiring harness and on-off buttons are added. It's not like Porsche produces a separate wiring harness for every other car that does or does not have heated seats. Am I right or just remembering someone else's tall tale?

If right, is it possible to plug in the seat and add some on-off switches, and maybe a fuse - Then wa-la headed seats?

A potentially cold butt wants to know. :-)
Old 06-15-2020, 05:18 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

I've messed around with a few 996 / 986 seats and non-heated seats do not have the heating element inside of them nor the wiring. Don't know about the wiring coming from the vehicle side to the seat.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:46 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 477 Posts

My daughter's Boxster has heated seats; they're super nice on a cold day.

The wiring harness should be the same. To confirm the wiring harness theory, open up the center console and check if the connectors for the heat switches are there under the blanks on the center console just ahead of the ashtray. The switches look like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Box...gAAOSwjJdd7vLd

I believe that 996 and 986 seats were completely interchangeable (pretty much everything forward of the firewall is). However, the heated seats were a pretty rare option, so you're going to pay for them. It looks like $500-$600 each on eBay.

Quick Reply: Heated Seats vs. Cold Butt