Sponsored by:

1999 986 - intermittent no sound/no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 04:27 PM
CarlsbadBob
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1999 986 - intermittent no sound/no start

Hi. Picked up my "new" 1999 986 yesterday. Background: Great car. 52k miles. Well taken care of, and PO had all troubles addressed immediately by Porsche independent shop. I test drove the car 2x. Great experience. When leaving the POs place yesterday, when I turned the key to start, all dash lights came on, but no sound for starting. I thought I might be doing something wrong and asked PO. He asked me to try it again and started right up. Drove it home and took it out a couple times. Last night, again, I tried to start it and no sound. If took 5 or 6 times before it started right up. Each time, all dash lights come on, clutch fully depressed, key turned, no sound. This morning, again, no sound at start up. I've tried it several times over the day. Checked battery cables and charged battery. No change. I've read about the immobilizer, but not sure if that could the problem. The PO says he never had an issue. I was with him when he would start/stop car many times with no issues. Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2020, 05:51 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Search the forum to see possible causes.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:33 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Doe the tach twitch at all when you turn the key?
Old 06-14-2020, 10:02 PM
CarlsbadBob
AutoX

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Doe the tach twitch at all when you turn the key?
Mike. Absolutely no movement on tach. Seems to be no longer intermittent. Would not start with multiple tries all day. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:15 AM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Check the switch at the clutch pedal, starter won't engage unless switch is actuated by depressing clutch pedal. May need to disassemble, clean and lubricate switch, then adjust to ensure switch actuation. When I first got my 99 Boxster Base this happened to me a couple of times. Turned out I wasn't depressing the clutch pedal far enough (short man with short legs syndrome). Second possibility could be the ignition switch itself, intermittent contact internally, they've been known to go wonky. Disassemble, clean, lubricate, then have cake.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:52 AM
CarlsbadBob
AutoX

Originally Posted by Weazer
Check the switch at the clutch pedal, starter won't engage unless switch is actuated by depressing clutch pedal. May need to disassemble, clean and lubricate switch, then adjust to ensure switch actuation. When I first got my 99 Boxster Base this happened to me a couple of times. Turned out I wasn't depressing the clutch pedal far enough (short man with short legs syndrome). Second possibility could be the ignition switch itself, intermittent contact internally, they've been known to go wonky. Disassemble, clean, lubricate, then have cake.
Thanks. Appreciate it. Sounds logical. Can't wait for the "eat cake" part. Right now I've got a beautiful speed yellow paperweight. Bob
The following users liked this post:
Weazer (06-15-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 10:58 PM
CarlsbadBob
AutoX

Update. Car is at my indy shop. Ignition switch sending signal when key turned, but no signal reading starter. Starter starts car right up when power put to starter. Clutch switch is good. Looking at DME now.

Quick Reply: 1999 986 - intermittent no sound/no start