Sponsored by:

opening frunk on 01

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 07:26 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts
Default opening frunk on 01

helping my neighbor....battery went dead with frunk closed. not sure if car is 2000 or 2001 but the fuse box does not have the jump port. I tried with booster thru lighter socket a month ago and I got lights on the dash temporarily and could not get frunk open. I checked the fuses in the fuse box and in the lighter jump attachment and all seem fine.
I went to pull front rt wheel off but wheel locks with key in frunk, turned the wheel to access behind fender liner and there is no room to slide my hand in to get the cable which should still be by the headlight (this car was serviced always at dealer, and I did check the tow hook, no cable).
I have read the threads from a search, and am stuck. I called CAA (CDN AAA) and they didn't have a lighter adapter for their charger. They said they can't use their plastic tools to pry open hood either. My next move is to tow to a shop (wheel lock is disengaged)and on a hoist maybe they can get the cable.
BTW the release is electric, I have exposed the wire by the handle inside driver's door but don't think pulling it will do anything. Another idea was to run power to the fuse and ground the car but not sure on which fuse.
please share ideas. I can post pics if anyone wants.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:40 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
helping my neighbor....battery went dead with frunk closed. not sure if car is 2000 or 2001 but the fuse box does not have the jump port. I tried with booster thru lighter socket a month ago and I got lights on the dash temporarily and could not get frunk open. I checked the fuses in the fuse box and in the lighter jump attachment and all seem fine.
I went to pull front rt wheel off but wheel locks with key in frunk, turned the wheel to access behind fender liner and there is no room to slide my hand in to get the cable which should still be by the headlight (this car was serviced always at dealer, and I did check the tow hook, no cable).
I have read the threads from a search, and am stuck. I called CAA (CDN AAA) and they didn't have a lighter adapter for their charger. They said they can't use their plastic tools to pry open hood either. My next move is to tow to a shop (wheel lock is disengaged)and on a hoist maybe they can get the cable.
BTW the release is electric, I have exposed the wire by the handle inside driver's door but don't think pulling it will do anything. Another idea was to run power to the fuse and ground the car but not sure on which fuse.
please share ideas. I can post pics if anyone wants.
Get a 1/2" socket and hammer it on the wheel lock and you can get it off. The key was lost for my 996tt and got all four off this way. Much cheaper than a tow to the shop and labor.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:56 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

2000 has mechanical lever release, must be 2001 or later if it has "buttons"
Old 05-31-2020, 07:42 PM
Ken lo
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 99 boxster wheels came w wheel locks but no key to he found. I took a 12point size 17mm socket hammered it on and then took it off with a breaker bar. Did it for all 4 tires with the same socket. The socket was destroyed after, but it works to get the lock nut off.

I think the 01 came with an electric frunk release that needs power, and if the battery is dead, you need to go to the fuse panel by the driver footwell area, and there should be something you can pull out, and apply a jump pack to provide enough juice to open the trunk.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:34 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I am familiar with the fuse box jumper and this car does not have it. Yes the release is electric. I think tow to shop to put on hoist and find the cable, is the next step.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:40 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Here are some pics so you can see what I am dealing with. and one of the car. the switch is electrical. my next move is to tow to ship to put on hoist to try to reach the cable. Can anyone comfirm that the cable exists near the passenger headlight. I was just told that it may not exist. Any other ideas?

Old 06-05-2020, 12:55 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

mechanic suggested using a jumper wire and sending power to one of the 30 amp fuses and that should give power to open frunk. Thinking about trying this or sending it over to him. What do you think? worried about shorting something
Old 06-14-2020, 12:10 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

towed the car to indy shop they found cable from underneath and opened frunk but car would not start. They say the security computer needs to be replaced and purchase a new fob or fobs and reprogram. they want incl tax $1600 CDN. I did search and found in a thread a guy used SOS diagnostics. I will contact them Monday. would be much cheaper to reprogram reprogram a used box.
Indy said cable release for hood but got locked out. what would cause that and would boosting through lighter cause damage to security computer?
Old 06-14-2020, 12:16 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I think the top black "lever' in your 1st picture is what you need to pull up on to open the trunk, have you tried that ?
Old 06-15-2020, 12:57 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
I think the top black "lever' in your 1st picture is what you need to pull up on to open the trunk, have you tried that ?
lol. yes of course that was the first thing we tried, was the luggage compartment release. It is mechanical (cable) but has a lockout from the security ecu, which is now damaged according to indy and he suggests replace from dealer with key fob and programming $1600 CDN. I think I will call an ecu repair place tomorrow and see if they can reprogram it.

Quick Reply: opening frunk on 01