Sponsored by:

2000 BoxsterS IMS was good!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 06:45 PM
Jersey John
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2000 BoxsterS IMS was good!

I just got my car back. Mfg. date was 5/00 and I had the nice fat two row bearing and it was fine with 60K on it. You never know until it's too late I guess. I got a new clutch, RMS, oil change, IMS and priceless peace of mind out of the deal. This car is very new to me and the mechanic said it was in great condition and needed nothing. If you live in central Jersey, I'd highly recommend this shop. They took pictures of the process and showed me the old parts. Clutch wasn't shot but didn't have too much time left on it. Money well spent and I found a great shop to work on the car if something comes along that is to complex for me. I drove it home with the top down and enjoyed every minute of it. Here's the next question, should I keep the graphics?

Old 05-15-2020, 07:36 PM
ER17
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, and thanks for posting that picture, as I have the same color and was contemplating the stripes!
Old 05-15-2020, 11:36 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Good news, and great weather to go with it too. The IMS issue is overrated!

Enjoy the car in good health!
Old 05-16-2020, 03:18 AM
Dr. C
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That's funny you would start this post.... I've been thinking about starting it for a few months now.

I just had the same work done on my Boxster a short time ago. IMS was just fine. I will say the peace of mind is priceless though.

2001 Boxster S
80,000 miles
Old 05-16-2020, 03:31 AM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

My 1999 Base in Arctic White came with the same graphic in black. First thing I did when I got the car home was take it off! Just cleaner overall look. I don't know how anyone could assess the condition of an IMS bearing without physically removing the bearing from the engine, by which point it would be foolish, in my opinion, to reinstall a bearing with 60K miles on it rather than upgrade the bearing or, at a minimum, install a NEW original dual row bearing. If the mechanic that did this work for you did not strongly recommend replacing this bearing, I would be looking for a different mechanic considering the consequences of that bearing's failure for your engine. Don't mean to harsh your mellow, just sayin. Beauty Boxster by the way.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:34 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 461 Posts

Nice color!
Old 05-16-2020, 08:57 AM
Jersey John
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Weazer
My 1999 Base in Arctic White came with the same graphic in black. First thing I did when I got the car home was take it off! Just cleaner overall look. I don't know how anyone could assess the condition of an IMS bearing without physically removing the bearing from the engine, by which point it would be foolish, in my opinion, to reinstall a bearing with 60K miles on it rather than upgrade the bearing or, at a minimum, install a NEW original dual row bearing. If the mechanic that did this work for you did not strongly recommend replacing this bearing, I would be looking for a different mechanic considering the consequences of that bearing's failure for your engine. Don't mean to harsh your mellow, just sayin. Beauty Boxster by the way.
Don't nominate me for a Darwin Award, I got the bearing changed out, I merely pointed out like many others did, it seemed to be fine.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:06 AM
Jersey John
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Nice color!
I see you are in the Poconos. I love the area. I have a Yamaha MT07 and like riding on 191, I get on in Stockertown and go North. Great road. Let me know when the fireworks stores open up again!
Old 05-16-2020, 10:20 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Weazer
Which one is it - Arctic Silver or Glacier White? I'll assume it's the white, which I have too, and is a fantastic color.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:08 PM
Weazer
Racer

Must be the Glacier white then, I never let adverbs (?) get in the way of a good story! What I have noticed about that color is you don't realize how blue it is until you get a little fresh snow on it, then the blue really stands out. Wasn't really digging the white that much when first got it, bit I blacked out the wheels and painted the calipers red and its popping now. Wish My 996 was white as well.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:16 PM
Weazer
Racer

Originally Posted by Jersey John
Don't nominate me for a Darwin Award, I got the bearing changed out, I merely pointed out like many others did, it seemed to be fine.
Mea culpa, I never jump so far or so fast as when I jump to conclusions, Olympic medalist in that category for sure! I did my own IMS bearing at about 70k miles, dual row and it was definitely on the way out with a wobbly center stud. Thought it was odd because I religiously dissect the filters during oil changes and never saw any ferrous material, the odd aluminum shaving on occasion and bits of brown plastic from the chain rail pads. I chose to go with the Vertex cylindrical roller bearing as the replacement, and now have 88k and purring like a kitten. I love my Boxster and you should too (not mine, your own!)
Old 05-16-2020, 07:17 PM
Weazer
Racer

Originally Posted by Geza
Which one is it - Arctic Silver or Glacier White? I'll assume it's the white, which I have too, and is a fantastic color.

By the way, your avatar scares the ****e out of me.
The following users liked this post:
Geza (05-16-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 08:08 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

You can easily check the bearing while it is still in the car. Once you have the cover off (having locked the engine etc and so on) just spin the spindle and wiggle it to get a feel for how the bearing is. IN MY OPINION there should be some play but not much. Pop the outer seal off to let you examine the bearing more carefully and allow engine oil in if you decide to leave it in place.

My 130k 2.7 2003 Boxster (single row) bearing had some play but was otherwise good. I did pull it out and the replacement (which also has some play) will be going back in soon.

As far as MY understanding goes the bearing is a C3 clearance so has play right out of the box, and should do because the interference fitting reduces clearance as does the temperature increase when in use.

All the best

Berni
Old 05-18-2020, 12:13 AM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts

Keep the stripes. Has to be worth +5 hp.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:54 AM
TheMongoose
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the stripe. Reminds me of the 914 which has a soft spot in my heart since seeing a widebody version with those stripes when i was a pre-teen.

Quick Reply: 2000 BoxsterS IMS was good!