Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tips on first ever track day with a Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 11:35 AM
xoo00oox
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default tips on first ever track day with a Boxster?

I've never been on any kind of a road race track with anything, I may have a chance in a couple months to attend a club track day at Limerock in CT with my '99 Boxster. How do I keep myself from looking like a fool? Or maybe less like a fool?
My car is in top shape brakes, suspension, engine, clutch, transmission, etc. I'm just wondering what's the most annoying thing rookies do at tracks that maybe I could avoid. Anything I should do special with the car? Obviously I know enough to make sure everything is out of the car, windows clean, and to make sure all fluids are up and to idle it for a while after running hard before shutting it down to let the turbo cool down. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

what turbo?

the reality....listen to your instructor. Thats the most important thing to worry about. After that, keep your eyes up, focus on the line instead of speed, and make sure you keep an eye on your mirrors so you don't cause any long line of cars.

most importantly, have fun
Old 03-13-2020, 01:42 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

^^ What he said
Old 03-13-2020, 02:31 PM
xoo00oox
Intermediate

My car has a turbo 4cyl. I don't think there will be an instructor, I could be wrong on that though. So, can I assume just keep to the right and allow people to pass on the left? Are you always supposed to pass on the left?
Old 03-13-2020, 04:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

no, the rule is that you stay on line and the passing cars will be offline. That can get tricky on transitions from left to right, but since this isn't racing, the key is to be predictable. Always pass with a pointby only.

As a newbie without an instructor, I'd probably try to watch some track videos ahead of time so you can get a sense of the line through certain unique turns at LRP like big bend and the transition after the left hander.

Track specific, you will want to make sure when you go up the large uphill, at the crest your steering wheel needs to be dead straight. Try to brake less than you think for the downhill right hander as the compression will give you good grip.

Keep an eye on tire pressures and fluid temps. I remember now your thread on the 1.8t motor swap, not sure how they are on track so can't speak on that.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by xoo00oox
I've never been on any kind of a road race track with anything, I may have a chance in a couple months to attend a club track day at Limerock in CT with my '99 Boxster. How do I keep myself from looking like a fool? Or maybe less like a fool?
My car is in top shape brakes, suspension, engine, clutch, transmission, etc. I'm just wondering what's the most annoying thing rookies do at tracks that maybe I could avoid. Anything I should do special with the car? Obviously I know enough to make sure everything is out of the car, windows clean, and to make sure all fluids are up and to idle it for a while after running hard before shutting it down to let the turbo cool down. Any advice is appreciated.
Change the oil & filter, Inflate tires 10 psi higher than what is specified. Much easier to lower psi than increase at the track. Bring a good air pressure gauge. Might want to bring a gallon of distilled water in case the car or you overheat.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Inflate tires 10 psi higher than what is specified.
I wouldn’t do this. Just inflating a few pounds over stock can result in a very squirrelly handling car.

I inflated my tires to factory street spec, and after the event, I had to LOWER my air pressure quite a bit, maybe 4-5 psi. I actually had to keep lowering my pressure after every event.

But, yes, bring a pump and gauge, just in case.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 03-14-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:23 PM
Verboden
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a PCA instructor but have no experience with LImerock. For all of our events and every PCA/NASA zone that I have run with we do not allow inexperienced students to run without instructors. When I go to a track that I have not been on before I will ask for an instructor for at least the at least a couple of laps. Do with that info what you will. Many, but not all, HPDE events will require a tech inspection of your car to be allowed on track. Get a copy of the form they use ahead of time and go through it yourself to avoid any surprises.

The most common issues I see with new students is they have not recently changed brake fluid. These events start early in the morning - on track at 8:30 means a driver meeting could be 7:30 which means you need to be there at 7 because there is a line at the gate to get in, which means you need to leave the house by 6, which means ... Add to that you are amped with excitement the night before and getting good night sleep takes planning.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:44 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
I wouldn’t do this. Just inflating a few pounds over stock can result in a very squirrelly handling car.
agreed. leave the tires at factory-recommended pressures for your first event.

check your pride at the door. and be situationally aware. it's easy to get overwhelmed if this is your first track experience
Old 03-15-2020, 02:07 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy

I inflated my tires to factory street spec, and after the event, I had to LOWER my air pressure quite a bit, maybe 4-5 psi. I actually had to keep lowering my pressure after every event.

But, yes, bring a pump and gauge, just in case.
PSI will always go up as the tire gets hotter. That doesn't mean you have to lower PSI,& you don't need a pump to lower PSI Always better to have too much than to little air. Also helps reduce under steer, the most common rookie hurdle. I always bring my laser thermometer to check tire temp as soon as I come off the track & adjust psi accordingly. Works for me!
Old 03-15-2020, 04:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
PSI will always go up as the tire gets hotter. That doesn't mean you have to lower PSI,& you don't need a pump to lower PSI.
Right. I only lowered PSI after I measured it, right after coming off the track. I then checked it again before going back out there. The pressure was getting close to the max rating on the tire at the rears.

My pump has a gauge on it, so that’s why I use it, although I do envy the folks that have those Longacre brand gauges. Those a nice.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:42 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

The PSI on the tire is a "cold" spec 68 degrees ambient assumed.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:14 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Keep the shiny side up.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:36 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 962 Posts

If you push the car you need to adjust tire pressure.

If your first DE is a parade lap day focus then previous comments arrive and drive and smile.

All students I have had the pleasure of riding with want to push their P car around the track and feel the speed, G's and braking limits of their car.

Doesnt mean they will be fast right out of the gate but its not a parade lap day either.

1. Tech your car and address anything needed
2. Be prepared to adjust tire pressures as day progress - heat of the day and trust me you will get faster and high pressure will mess you up
3. Learn the track and flags before your arrive - you should be able to close your eyes and drive the track hitting apex in your head
4. Listen to your instructor - If you dont like your instructor after first session ask for a different one. Not personal just can happen. Dont be shy about it youre there to learn
5. Have fun!
Old 03-19-2020, 07:22 PM
xoo00oox
Intermediate

Thanks for all the tips! Lots of useful information here. I see in videos a lot of people tape up their lights, is that really needed? I would imagine tracks are kept pretty clean of debris or is there another reason for it?

Quick Reply: tips on first ever track day with a Boxster?