Sponsored by:

Performance improvements through software upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 08:23 AM
Waredo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance improvements through software upgrades

Hi, I am thinking of improving the performance of my 981 Boxster S and wondered if anyone has any experience of having a software upgrade done (on any naturally aspirated modern 6 cylinder Porsche)? In particular I am thinking of DMS and Superchips (and any others you may have tried).
Old 02-20-2020, 10:19 AM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

delete

Last edited by gavonder; 02-20-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:39 PM
Audrey Spency
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This makes no sense to me, even from the point of view of a PC user.

A game is released, you update your driver, your frame rates increase. You wait twelve months, update your drivers again. (Hopefully you won’t wait that long, but for arguments sake..) and yet again, the performance increases even more.

All this is is a software change. Improving the way in which the GPU handles information with various new methods and optimisations... How come consoles don’t do the same? There’s really no reason why they shouldn’t.
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->snaptube vidmate
Say you were running a 780 when GTAV came out. You got decent frames. But now, with the amount that the drivers have improved and optimized things since then, you’d be getting way better frames with the same card and game than release. GTAV on an Xbox or PS4 however would have the same (extra ****ty, not even just plain ****ty) performance as when it was released ages ago.

Is there a proper reason for this?

Last edited by Audrey Spency; 04-14-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Performance improvements through software upgrades