Sponsored by:

1.8t Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 09:46 AM
xoo00oox
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Geovanni Malo
I have a couple questions, what engine block did you use? I know any 1.8t will fit but my understanding is that the manifolds are diffent between the longitudinal and transverse set ups. Im wondering because you where able to use the Boxster Catt for your exhaust. Also what did you do for fueling. Did you have to fab something up to make it fit the intake manifold? Which intake manifold did you use?
Sorry for the delay, I don't check in here too often. I used the AEB block and the stock Passat/Audi A4 intake and exhaust manifold. I did have to fabricate an exhaust pipe from the turbo to the Boxster cat, I just use the one right side cat. I just hooked the Boxster fuel lines to my engine.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:49 AM
xoo00oox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by berni29
Hello there Andrew

Great thread and I love your ingenuity. Would this conversion work for a Tiptronic? What extra problems would you envisage? The Tip has it's own ECU, which AFAIK does not feed into the DME.

Many thanks

Berni

It should work as far as I can see. The Passat and Audi A4 used the tip transmission as well, you may run into a few small issues but should be able to sort them out.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:33 PM
Binsr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘02 Boxster s 3.2l with a blown engine

You mentioned 2.5L 5 speed but will the AEB or ATW will the same be for the 3.2l transmission.

a friend is going to gift me a ‘02 Boxster S with a blown engine (well blown head gaskets). Severely overheated, oil and coolant mixed, the engine blew off the oil cap... anyways I’m very family with the 1.8T since I’ve had the infamous 1.8t 5 speed Passat. So I figured this was a sign. I just hope it bolts on. Love your write up so far and super excited to get this Boxster on the road again. Cheers!

my phone bugged out and I’ve missed some info on the thread. I’ll have to use my pc in the future.
long story I doubt it will bolt on to the G8620-103 but if you can point me in the right direction that would be awesome.
It’s been ages since I’ve been on proper forums (other than social media ones these days).

Last edited by Binsr; 04-24-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:45 PM
Reese303
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Everyone. I know it has been a minute (5 months actually) since my last update on the 1.8T Porsche Boxster swap. Good news: the project is still on.

I have made quite a bit of progress as you will see in the video. Now that I am at this point I will be getting videos out on a more regular cadence.

Take a look and let me know if you have any questions!

Also, please no Jenga jokes... I have heard enough of them already

Old 06-17-2021, 07:04 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

How about Lego jokes? lol
Old 06-18-2021, 02:04 AM
Reese303
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stl_986
How about Lego jokes? lol
No. But, I will accept Lincoln Logs jokes 😂
Old 08-24-2021, 02:23 PM
sfdl
1st Gear

Originally Posted by xoo00oox
I have a '99 Boxster that was a 2.5 now powered by 200hp 1.8t VW/Audi engine. I bought this car in beautiful shape with only 80K miles and a destroyed 2.5 because of IMS failure. Knowing that the 5 speed transmission in this car is identical to that of a 2wd VW Passat or Audi A4, I got looking into possibly using the engine from one of those cars. I got it all in place and now have a little over a thousand miles on it. The car is a blast to drive with the turbo 4cy and I get close to 30mpg while cruising. The 1.8t is about 160lbs lighter than the stock flat 6cyl and much easier to service also a lot cheaper to buy. The stock gauges are all tied in and work properly, ABS and cruise as well.

If anyone would like any more details, let me know

Andrew-

can you please send all of the information for this build I’m currently looking to do the same exact thing a play-by-play would be nice LOL
Old 03-09-2022, 09:27 AM
bobbyangel222
1st Gear

Default Looking to do this swap , wondering what year 1.8 is the best fit

I have no interest in making these myself. It is a pretty easy thing to fabricate, just bolt the engine to the transmission, this positions it side to side. Then using a jack under the pulley end of the engine, position the up/down so that the engine has clearance around all parts of it (the timing belt cover will be about 1/2"-3/4" from touching the upper engine cover. Then look at the gap between the engine and the stock Boxster motor mount and make a piece to connect the two. If you are not able to fabricate it yourself, you can make a template out of cardboard and bring it to a welding shop and have them do it.

Andrew-
hello sir I know this is a older post I was just wondering what year engine you used .

Old 03-22-2022, 09:20 AM
Nick Bo
1st Gear

Default 1.8t Boxster

I have a '99 Boxster that was a 2.5 now powered by 200hp 1.8t VW/Audi engine. I bought this car in beautiful shape with only 80K miles and a destroyed 2.5 because of IMS failure. Knowing that the 5 speed transmission in this car is identical to that of a 2wd VW Passat or Audi A4, I got looking into possibly using the engine from one of those cars. I got it all in place and now have a little over a thousand miles on it. The car is a blast to drive with the turbo 4cy and I get close to 30mpg while cruising. The 1.8t is about 160lbs lighter than the stock flat 6cyl and much easier to service also a lot cheaper to buy. The stock gauges are all tied in and work properly, ABS and cruise as well.

Andrew-

Hi Andrew I’m in the process to do the same engine swap but I’m noticing that the original transmission mounts are not sitting perfectly straight and if I lift the engine any higher the coolant temperature sensor hits the body of the Boxster, any suggestions? Thank you. Great accomplishment by the way definitely you have done something that not everyone can do.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:07 AM
xoo00oox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nick Bo
Hi Andrew I’m in the process to do the same engine swap but I’m noticing that the original transmission mounts are not sitting perfectly straight and if I lift the engine any higher the coolant temperature sensor hits the body of the Boxster, any suggestions? Thank you. Great accomplishment by the way definitely you have done something that not everyone can do.
I used the coolant flange from a '03 1.8t Audi A4 and put a plug in the temp sensor hole. Then relocated the temp sensor to one of the coolant hoses.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:40 AM
xoo00oox
Intermediate

Still going strong! This engine conversion has been trouble free. This is such a fun car to drive!
Old 07-24-2022, 07:26 PM
Garty
3rd Gear

Default 2000 Boxster automatic needs new motor.

Andrew-

​​​​​​Do you have any documention or notes on the wiring. Also do you know if you can use a 2.0t and will it bolt to the automatic. I was wonder what year range motor should be used. Any info would be great. I don't want to deal with rebuilding the flat 6 and a swap seems like a good project.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:39 AM
xoo00oox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Garty
​​​​​​Do you have any documention or notes on the wiring. Also do you know if you can use a 2.0t and will it bolt to the automatic. I was wonder what year range motor should be used. Any info would be great. I don't want to deal with rebuilding the flat 6 and a swap seems like a good project.

Hello-
I do not have any documents on the wiring. Basically, you need to use a wire diagram for the engine you are using and determine what wires need what to run and give feedback to the car (what needs power with key off, key on, battery light, oil pressure, tach signal, etc). You will also need a wire diagram for the Boxster to determine where all these wires will tie into the car.
The 2.0t will bolt up to the manual or automatic transmission however, in my opinion, the 1.8t is a much more reliable source and can be tuned to extremely high power level. The 2.0t TSi and FSi have many know problems (I work on VW and Audi cars every day).
It is not a "simple job", but very rewarding, I love the power and sound of my turbo 4cyl and the handling of the car, it is about 160 lbs lighter.

Andrew-
Old 07-28-2022, 09:01 PM
Garty
3rd Gear

Default Swap

Hello-
I do not have any documents on the wiring. Basically, you need to use a wire diagram for the engine you are using and determine what wires need what to run and give feedback to the car (what needs power with key off, key on, battery light, oil pressure, tach signal, etc). You will also need a wire diagram for the Boxster to determine where all these wires will tie into the car.
The 2.0t will bolt up to the manual or automatic transmission however, in my opinion, the 1.8t is a much more reliable source and can be tuned to extremely high power level. The 2.0t TSi and FSi have many know problems (I work on VW and Audi cars every day).
It is not a "simple job", but very rewarding, I love the power and sound of my turbo 4cyl and the handling of the car, it is about 160 lbs lighter

Andrew-
Thanks when I get closer I'll most like have a question about building a motor I'm just looking for around 250 hp don't need to go fast anymore
Old 07-28-2022, 09:01 PM
Garty
3rd Gear

Default Swap

Hello-
It is not a "simple job", but very rewarding, I love the power and sound of my turbo 4cyl and the handling of the car, it is about 160 lbs lighter

Andrew-

Thanks when I get closer I'll most like have a question about building a motor I'm just looking for around 250 hp don't need to go fast anymore

Quick Reply: 1.8t Boxster