Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kaapoooowww! IMS failure happened to me

Old 03-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Kaapoooowww! IMS failure happened to me

On Friday (3/8/19) my IMS bearing in my '03 Box S, at 39,000+/- retired quite suddenly, about 80 miles from home and my mechanic...
I believe I got a little warning by the sound of a slight knock before the all hell broke loose....

So, having said that, I can't afford a new engine, so I looked on line and found some 3.2L for a Box S, and a few 3.4's for Caymans. The prices were for $5k to $6k for engines at, or just under 40,000 miles.

Any comments from anybody buying an engine from an engine shop with a 2-5 year warranty or 30,000 miles. One shop even offered 5/50,000 on his engines.

I think I need some guidance and would appreciate any ideas...

tim
Old 03-10-2019, 06:53 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Some questions:

How confident are you with your or your mechanic's diagnosis? What is it based on? Has the oil pan been examined and what sort of fragments are there?

You doing the swap or who is and what are their experience?

How confident are you of the warrantee you might receive with a used engine? Buying a used engine is a crapshoot. Would you be doing any preventative items on the used engine before installing?

Where are you located?

What is the condition of the car besides the engine?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:49 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry to hear about your failure. I will follow along and help if I can. I agree that it could be something other than the IMS bearing, but that is definitely the prime suspect.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:30 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Mike,
I'm an old gearhead and this is my second Box. First one was a really tricked out '99 (75k miles), which I replaced the IMS at 80k because of what I had read here. As it turned out, the IMS in the '99 was just fine.
I bought the "S" because my '99 was stolen and totaled during a high speed chase by the law.
My '03 is immaculate...show room condition with all of the bells and whistles.
My experience from formula super v is that when a motor blows and ceases to run, then I stand there and watch oil dump out on the ground, a disaster has happened. In this case, mostly from the rear of the engine. I got the car to my shop late so no farther inspections (Friday) took place. But with the symptoms, we pretty much wrote it off as an IMS failure. I'll know more tomorrow.
I have the absolute faith in my mechanic as does every other Porsche owner on the Mississippi coast. He won't steer me wrong. Too much history together...

as far as buying a "used motor", I really have no idea other than what I have been able to google up about the engine shops.
I know I cannot afford a new motor. So I will have to take a chance (just like not replacing the IMS after getting the '03). I will replace the IMS on the purchase of a used motor with the KN retrofit. And the main seal as well as the clutch.

My concern is...how many other people have taken the route that I have to take and what the risk\reward factor is. I may be at the point where I just have to walk away and buy a rice burner which is not acceptable. I want my S back and running strong (i'm 66) so I want to enjoy the car like I did my '99. I might mention that my wife and I enjoy road trips, and the Porsche is more comfortable and fun to travel in then my really slick Volvo T5R 850....

That's my story, and all of the info I have as of today. Tomorrow may shed some light on what the real damage is. I'm pretty sure if you heard all of the noise followed up by a dead engine and 10 quarts of oil spilling out, your first reaction would be the IMS going out to lunch....

I'd appreciate any more suggestions, or advice you may have regarding this emotionally painful and costly experience.

Sincerely,
tim
Old 03-10-2019, 10:35 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Brand new Porsche 3.4 short blocks are 6k ish. You cam put your heads, valvetrain and accessories on one. I’m tempted to do this for my Boxster S and then build that engine with nickies as time and cash allow. These shortblocks have the updated big IMS bearing so pull the seal and rock on.

Just putting another idea out there.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

I'd look for a higher mileage motor.

Or for the same money you can go buy another '99 with 125k+ miles on it and drive the hell out of it, while parting your '03 to make your money back.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

I found a couple of used Cayman 3.4L engines ready to install for just short of $6k with a warranty.
I'm going to go over to my Porsche shop today and see if he has verdict on the engine. His diagnoses is IMS failure as of Friday.
He usually doesn't like it when I go out and find parts from, lets say Pelican parts, at 20% cheaper than what he would charge me.
We kind of worked out a deal...I'd find the parts, drop ship them to him, then let him add 10%....
He told me the other day that he'd lost sight of the cost of used engines as he hasn't had to replace one in several years.

tim
Old 03-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I'd look for a higher mileage motor.

Or for the same money you can go buy another '99 with 125k+ miles on it and drive the hell out of it, while parting your '03 to make your money back.
That may be an option. But if he can get another engine installed for $10k, than buying another car would be pointless.
"Parting" out my present car wouldn't really be worth the effort and the return would be minimal....

tim

Old 03-11-2019, 12:17 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Please remember that you will have to get a 03 or earlier Boxster S engine for it to work.

Originally Posted by Tim Lawton
On Friday (3/8/19) my IMS bearing in my '03 Box S, at 39,000+/- retired quite suddenly, about 80 miles from home and my mechanic...
I believe I got a little warning by the sound of a slight knock before the all hell broke loose....

So, having said that, I can't afford a new engine, so I looked on line and found some 3.2L for a Box S, and a few 3.4's for Caymans. The prices were for $5k to $6k for engines at, or just under 40,000 miles.

Any comments from anybody buying an engine from an engine shop with a 2-5 year warranty or 30,000 miles. One shop even offered 5/50,000 on his engines.

I think I need some guidance and would appreciate any ideas...

Please remember that you will need to get an 03 or earlier S engine for it to work

tim
Old 03-11-2019, 12:44 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Originally Posted by dr914
Please remember that you will have to get a 03 or earlier Boxster S engine for it to work.
My info says that I need an '03 or later. Porsche introduced variable cams in '03.

tim

Old 03-11-2019, 01:01 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tim, sorry for your loss. Probably a good chance you won't find a low mile engine for less than $6k, a higher mileage engine is okay, some of them last almost forever. Think of them as 'road tested.' I put a used engine (from Ebay) in my 01, factory reman'd, with a new ims. Had about 60K on it and it runs pretty sweet. Mine was a 2.7 and was $2500 shipped from LA. I got kind lucky, I guess. A 3.2 would have been another $1500, I think.

I wouldn't suggest anything but putting a decent used engine in it. The car is basically worthless without an engine and a decent replacement car is gonna cost a minimum of $6K. Whatever you choose, be sure your engine has an upgraded IMS bearing.

Mike Focke has an amazing collection of informative articles: https://sites.google.com/site/mikefo...oxsterwebpages
Old 03-11-2019, 01:15 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Mike, or anyone else,
What is the shop time to R&R the engine in my boxster s?

tim
Old 03-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Originally Posted by Tim Lawton
Mike, or anyone else,
What is the shop time to R&R the engine in my boxster s?

tim
I've done it once, I'm in my mid 60's and don't move fast anymore or have the stamina to do it straight thru. My guess would be less than 20 hr. If your mechanic has done an R&R before, he should be able to give you a pretty accurate guess. As I remember I was quoted 2 to 2.5 grand. Which is why I decided to do it myself. For a shade tree mechanic such as me, the learning curve was really something. I've done lots of engine r&r before, can do a dodge truck V8 in 2 days, the Porsche was the hardest one I've done. So totally different from other cars.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Tim, if you're retired and an old gearhead, why don't you do it yourself. I did mine in the carport when I was 66--last winter. So satisfying when it finally started and ran nice.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:14 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Been down this road before with another car. Engine blew and I bought a rebuilt engine from an extremely reputable source and had it installed by the best mechanic in the area. Three months later the rebuilt engine blows up. I had to pay the mechanic to remove and inspect the engine and he said it severely overheated. The re builder refused to cover it under warranty because of what the mechanic told him. I know that the engine did not overheat and something internal failed. But I had two against me so I was out of luck. I lost a lot of money on that fiasco. Never again will I put myself in that compromising situation. My advice> walk away and don't look back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kaapoooowww! IMS failure happened to me