First real winter test...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool First real winter test...

So we finally got a good dumping of snow last night, so against my better judgement, I went out in it to see how my Boxster would do. I managed to get out before the plows came. I gotta say, overall I'm very pleased! I just drove around my neighborhood in case I got stuck, but the roads were covered in about 6 inches of snow. I think my neighbor (who was out shoveling his drive) thought I was nuts as I just backed up over the stuff and took off. There was a bit of bob-and-weave getting over the few ruts from previous cars, but overall the car stayed straight and, most importantly, kept going! The TC kicked on a lot, ironically not as much when I was trying to go but more when the tail end would slip out. Coming back I turned it off because I was afraid it would actually PREVENT me from getting up the small hill in front of our house. I had no problems. (Later, when I was shoveling the drive, a pick-up and a full size van almost didn't make the same hill. I felt so smug... )

FYI, my car is riding on original 17s with Dunlop M3 winter tires. They were terrific. I would probably say going to a narrow 16" wheel/tire combo would help with the bob-and-weave, but the 17s didn't prevent me from getting anywhere.

This morning all the roads were "plowed", but with quite a bit of slush and snow still left. At most points, I couldn't see the markings in the road and was guessing at which lane I was in. Needless to say, the Boxster handled it with no problems whatsoever. I felt very comfortable and stable in the varying degrees of snow cover and traction. The TC never kicked on (well..ok...once when I floored it to get it to kick on). I even had a quicker pace than a few "winter" cars, and passed a pick-up that was struggling in the stuff.

Now, I'm not saying the Boxster is the BEST winter car around, nor will we be selling the Subaru anytime soon. But it's good to know I can drive my Porsche year 'round without worry. I mean, that IS why I bought the car...to drive it!

Old 01-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug,
I don't think I could ever bring myself to drive my Porsches year round, but I will admit I am waiting for the right opportunity to take the P-cars out and play in my unplowed/unsalted neighborhood. I am even a little sad to say I am considering doing this in the 914 for kicks! But I will be washing it the second I get it back in the garage, you can count on that. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 01-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Tour18
Banned

Wow. That's good to know. I wonder what the 993tt would be like in the snow? Kind of like an SUV ????
Old 01-26-2004, 11:28 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Go for it Tour

Just not your Vette
Old 01-27-2004, 08:16 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Jay Gratton
Doug,
I don't think I could ever bring myself to drive my Porsches year round, but I will admit I am waiting for the right opportunity to take the P-cars out and play in my unplowed/unsalted neighborhood. I am even a little sad to say I am considering doing this in the 914 for kicks! But I will be washing it the second I get it back in the garage, you can count on that. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
I don't know that I would drive any of my older Pcars in the snow either, more for that salt reason. But that's part of the reason I bought this newer Porsche this spring, so I could drive it year 'round. In the past, when I've had mid 80s Carreras, I would also have some type of winter transport (Subaru!). But after reading much on this board/site, I thought I'd try my hand at winter in the Boxster, and if it were too bad, then I'd search for a winter car. But this thing is doing great so far!

..and oh yes, I take every opportunity to give it a quick bath through these months. This is the time of year when those pull in - hose it yourself car washes are priceless. I take extra time to run the soapy water under the car and hit all the nooks and crannies. (that's a technical term, you know...)

Old 01-27-2004, 08:18 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Tour18
Wow. That's good to know. I wonder what the 993tt would be like in the snow? Kind of like an SUV ????
...actually, with a set of winter tires, yeah it would. I've read on the 996 board about all the C4 owners using their cars in the winter and how great they are. It IS an aweful nice car to be putting out there for all the idiots and maniacs to hit, but as for the performance of the car itself...I bet it would be great!

Old 01-28-2004, 03:45 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

i have a 996 tt with winter tires on it-it does fine in snow. i haven't tried it over 6 inches, but under 6, it gets me home from work (25 miles) absolutely fine. with more snow, i drive my freelander. my wife has a boxster (04) with psm and winter tires on standard wheels-it gets her thru snow fine. i agree with doug and julie-it is a depreciating asset-drive it and enjoy it.

Quick Reply: First real winter test...