Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fulfilling a dream - Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 02:27 PM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fulfilling a dream - Recommendations?

I’ve wanted a Porsche since I was very young (I’m 32 now). It’s been a childhood dream to own a Porsche. My wife started a “Porsche Fund” when we got married 5 years ago. I’m getting close to my dream car now ( maybe a year or two depending a purchase price), but I kind of have a dilemma. What should I get?

I’m a huge convertible fan, so it has to be topless. Targa or Cab? Not sure. Yet another dilemma. I’m 6’4” with a thin build. Doubtful that I would race it. Mainly a “weekend/summer” fun car. It would be a third car (I have a Dodge Durango and a Lexus RX330 now). I’m a family man with 2 young kids. Not rich, but not poor.

I have not test driven any of these models. I have ridden passenger in all of them though and think I would be happy with any of them. I don’t want to test drive yet because I know I’ll want one right then and there. I want to try and save a little bit more. Yeah, it’s killing me.

So, what do you think? What model (and even year) would you get if you were in my shoes? I’m going to try to keep the price under 45K. But I’m historically bad at sticking to a budget. I’m posting in the 993, 986, and 996 forums to try to balance the opinions a little. Hopefully that’s not frowned upon on this site. Thanks for you replies. Please add pluses and minuses to my list as you se them.

-- Pluses
- Love the exterior the most out of all the Porsches (mainly the front).
- Cheaper than the 996 which means I’d probably get it sooner.
- It’s a 911, which I have a soft spot for.
-- Minuses
- Don’t like the interior as much as the other 2.
- Cab top boot is a big minus. Both in looks as operation.

-- Pluses
- Love the interior.
- Easy to operate Cab top.
- Stronger engine than the 986.
- It’s a 911, which I have a soft spot for.
-- Minuses
- More expensive which means it’ll take longer to save enough.
- Like the exterior, but not as much as the 993.

986/S
-- Pluses
- Interior looks similar to the 996, so that a plus.
- Easy to operate top.
- Mid engine design. Better balance?
- Cheaper than the 996 which means I’d probably get it sooner.
-- Minuses
- Like the exterior, but not as much as the 993.
- Power is down, but still respectable in the S.
- Might be too cramped. I’m 6’4”.
- It’s not a 911, which I have a soft spot for.

John
Old 01-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All very nice choices.

With having a family, you would benefit from the 2+2 design of the 993/996
over the Boxster's 2 seats.

I would lean towards a 2+2, it might come in handle on a day you want to take a family outting.

I think you can't go wrong with either a 993 or 996, both great choices, time will tell once you get to drivce them both, go with your heart, as both cars look fabulious.

Boxster:
The Boxster is another good choice, it has only two seats, but allot of storage room. Great for a little weekend get away, or a couple day road trip! The power top is an ease to use and it looks sharp up or door, and they always make the hard top if you truely want to vary the look and feel and sound of your Boxster.

If Boxster power is a concern I would only recommend a Boxster S, over the 2.5/2.7 Base Boxster's engine. The Boxster is a great car. I have a 1997 2.5 and the car is fast enough for fun.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:44 PM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Originally posted by Vampyre
[B]With having a family, you would benefit from the 2+2 design of the 993/996
over the Boxster's 2 seats.

I would lean towards a 2+2, it might come in handle on a day you want to take a family outting.

I think you can't go wrong with either a 993 or 996, both great choices, time will tell once you get to drivce them both, go with your heart, as both cars look fabulious.
I'm leaning toward the 993/996 now. I like the Boxster, but I have a feeling I'll always want a 911. Thanks for your comments.

John
Old 01-23-2004, 06:04 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Go with the 993/996 because of height and kids.

But if you can't find one in your price range, go for the boxster, since you're a thin build you shold fit just fine!

But be careful driving the 993/996 until you learn how to power around a turn with that puppy...
Old 01-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Cloud964
Instructor

My take is that if you want a 911, get a coupe, and if you really want a convertible, than I think the boxster S is a better choice. That car just looks better as a convertible. I have owned 5 Porsches all my life: 2 964s, 1 993, 1 944 and a boxster S. In my opinion they are all fantastic cars, all shine in a different way. Welcome to the club !
Old 01-24-2004, 12:05 AM
Tour18
Banned

I agree with the others. The Boxster S is a sports car in the classic sense. Tiny.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:49 AM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Even as a '00 Boxster S owner, I would choose, based upon your criteria, a 993:

1) The back seat will be invaluable for when the kids want a fun ride. My 20 month old twins love cars. The older one's first word was car, and the second one's second word!
2) The 993 will retain it's value far better than the 986/996
3) As a long-time Porsche fan, the alure of air-cooled has to mean something.
4) I would choose a coupe over the cab for nvh reasons alone, and with young children as passengers, I would feel a bit better

In regards to your comments about the 986/S, your 6'4" frame should have no problem fitting. I know of one 6'9" guy, and he doesn't look like a monster hanging half-out of the vehicle.

Good luck and best wishes in fulfilling your dream!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:55 AM
Chris Picklo
User

I also agree on the 993.

You can also add the sound - probably my favorite sounding engine!

Don't forget to get a PPI before your purchase!
Old 01-26-2004, 02:50 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With 2 kids I would go with the rear seat option.

Old 01-27-2004, 02:12 AM
GTRdream
Intermediate

very nice photo shop ~~~cherrr~~~
Old 01-27-2004, 05:25 AM
Songzzz
Burning Brakes

Hmmm.... Why not post this in the 944 Turbo forum?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:47 AM
la993 uk
Advanced

Hi John,

Been there, Done that....

I'm 6' 4 and dont have any real probably with the Boxster S, but I think the Centre Consol Delete Option will give better leg room - it can be retro fitted(retro removed?) I'm considering having that done.

The 993 is an absolutely fantastic car (but the Cab does'nt look anywhere near as good as the coupe I.M.HO. ).
They getting a bit old now so make sure you find a good one.
I swapped because I wanted the running costs were starting to get expensive and I wanted something newer because its a daily driver,
but would only consider a 996 in C4S Cab or GT3 or versions both of which are out of my price range

Do I miss my 993?, Yes.
Would I swap back No?
Can't fault the Boxster at all - at first I missed the low end torque of the 993 for blasting out of the bends, its not that the boxster is slow , its just so smoooooooth, you dont realise just how quickly you're going uptil you see the other cars dissapearing in the rear view mirror,... but the boxster just grows on you it does EVERYTHING so well.

but if you've never had a Porsche and its going to be a third Car, I'd still actually recommend that anyone 'do the 911 thing at least once in their life' and get a GOOD 993

Quick Reply: Fulfilling a dream - Recommendations?