plastic rear window

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 06:46 PM
sailor
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default plastic rear window

Ever have one of those days.....
When I got up this morning, the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was cool, but certainly not cold, so I decided it was a good day for top-down motoring. So, I unlatched the top, pushed the button, and as the top began to fold...POP!- the window just split in half!
I know the plastic becomes brittle in the cold, but jeez!...It couldn't have been below about 65 degrees in my garage(which is heated by my bedroom above).
Anyway, what's done is done, and now I'm trying to figure out what I should do about it. My options seem to be as follows:
1. Take it to the dealer and pay, what ,about 3 grand to replace the top.
2. Have an aftermarket top installed for about a thousand dollars.
3. Have the rear plastic window replaced for about seven hundred dollars.
Well, 1. isn't really an option for me. I can't see spending that much for an OEM top, when my OEM top wasn't too great anyway.
The aftermarket tops, good ones, seem to look good, at least in black. My concern with Option 2. is that it won't fit quite right, and be an obvious (substandard)replacement.
Finally, the option of replacing only the plastic posed several concerns. Since the plastic window wasn't designed to be replaced (Who's idea was that!), will it damage the top to resew the seems? Will it look OK? Can I trust the installer to do a good job?
What would you do? Or, better yet, what HAVE you done?!
thanks in advance for relating your experiences with this. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.
SAILOR
Old 01-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your car under warranty? If so, your new top will come courtesy of PCNA.

If not... hmmmm. It's tempting to say 'screw it.' You live in LA where the sun is shining most of the year. What are you doing with the top up anyway???
Old 01-23-2004, 12:50 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad about the rear plastic window I feel your pain...

I have a 1997 Boxster that had the rear plastic window replaced last year.
I had it done before I bought the car, it looks great and you can not tell it has been replaced.

There are NO leaks and I never lower the top with a cold rear plastic window, it is better to pull the car outside and let it sit in the sun for about 20 minutes untill the interor warms up.

That way you can lower the top without any surprises.

Best of luck. I would shop around for a better price, as I think they paid 1/2 of that to get my window done.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:15 AM
HBacura
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: plastic rear window

Originally posted by sailor
Ever have one of those days.....
When I got up this morning, the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was cool, but certainly not cold, so I decided it was a good day for top-down motoring. So, I unlatched the top, pushed the button, and as the top began to fold...POP!- the window just split in half!
I know the plastic becomes brittle in the cold, but jeez!...It couldn't have been below about 65 degrees
The very same thing happened to my '99 boxster. I had the rear plastic replaced.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not see the aftermarket tops in person which cost about $550 but people who have bought them say they look and fit like factory. That is about the cost just to replace the window. When my 1997 window goes I know what I'm going to do. Jeff

Quick Reply: plastic rear window