Sponsored by:

Boxster over 996

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 11:28 AM
JCBrown
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster over 996

I have noticed that many people, including myself, are always on the quest for more power. Many accomplish this with the lust-worthy 3.4, or turbos, superchargers and other high-dollar upgrades. My question is why did you choose the Boxster over the 996 if you wanted the extra speed/power and your pockets allowed it. They are both great cars and this was just something I wondered about.
To end any doubt, I do want to say that I LOVE my Boxster S and when resources allow, I will continue my quest for more power. Thanks for your response.
-Jason
Old 01-13-2004, 12:35 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

The handling characteristics are totally different. I prefer the feel of the Boxster. As you stated, more power is attainable . If I could have a 911, it would be a GT3.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:53 PM
delhi
Racer

errr....how about able to get 2 boxster S for the price of 1 911 carrera? or 2 S plus one Boxster for the price of a 911 cabby? shall I go on? it's also call mulah.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:55 PM
JCBrown
Intermediate

I'm just saying, if you have the money for the High-dollar upgrades, then why not the 996? Don't think I am trying to degrade the Boxster in any way. I am just wondering.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

"if you have the money for the high-dollar upgrades, then why not the 996?"

Most "high-dollar upgrades" still cost less than $30k, which is the price difference between the 996 Cab and the Boxster S. With $30k you could probably stuff a GT3 engine into a Boxster S chassis, and create a mid-engined fire-breathing monster.

Price differences aside, there's a lot to be said for the good looks and versatility of the Boxster. Sure, you give up the traditional 'rear seat for groceries,' but you gain two trunks, a drop top, and mid-engine handling.

The Boxster S is arguably the best value in the current Porsche lineup.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:30 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the difference in person. Once.

My 993C2 had 70,000 miles on it and my wife went with me to trade it in on a 996GT3. When I got there the GT3 wasn't. So, not to leave empty handed, I test drove a 996TT, 996C4S, 996C2... No soul at all (compared to the 993). Not to mention my wife was totally, totally not impressed. No sale.

On a whim, I told HER to go drive a Boxster S sitting out front. Now, we've always had enthusiats cars... She's not a gear head... Won't even ride in my Z06... But when she and the salesman pulled back in, with the top down, across the lot I could see her grinning a **** eating grin from ear to ear. She was hooked on the total package...

THAT is why someone would pick a Boxster over a 996. It's total fun.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Chris Picklo
User

How about a 993? Same ballpark price, more power, more handling, more charector, still comfortable...Air cooled : )
Old 01-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

The 993 is a great car. But on a sunny day, it's tough to beat the top down experience of the Boxster. That is sort of a Cab vs. coupe issue (and I'm not as fond of the 993 Cab appearance).

As for power, the new Boxster S has roughly the equivalent power-to-weight ratio of the 993 coupe. (Actually, the 'Anniversary' S may have greater power/weight.) The 993 has 20 or so more ponies, but it also is a couple hundred pounds heavier - so real world power is pretty much a wash.

I disagree on handling. I don't think a 993 outhandles a 986 (rear engine vs. mid-engine). The 986 is supremely balanced.

With the above said, I do think the 993 is a classic P-car and would like to own one someday (Turbo, please).
Old 01-20-2004, 07:00 PM
JeffES
Pro

Actually, more power in and of itself may not always be a good goal. I often hear that the Boxster is "underpowered", but IMO, it's a case of "overchassied" (if there is such a thing). Of course, this is all dependent on one's definition of "performance" - and in my case, I am still entranced by the lithe, nimble handling of the Boxster, something that bigger motors and tires would not enhance. Of course, a big 3.* litre 6 cyl motor could be fun......
J
Old 01-20-2004, 10:59 PM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overchassied. I learned a new word today. And I even know the definition... hehehe...
Old 01-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Rob 3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No such thing as overchassied, you just need more power. Greater depth of chassis capability is safer in an emergency situation that excessive power.
The 993 and 986 feel different. The ride motions in response to road inputs are different as one is mid engine and the other is rear. Turn in is different as well. 996 has slightly less character and personality than the 993, 996 is a tad easier to drive, a bit more modern in feel, but slightly less satisfying in the long run.
It all depends on what you are looking for in your driving experience.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:46 AM
JeffES
Pro

I must respectfully disagree. More power requires bigger motors, heavier transmissions, bigger brakes, in short, more mass (unless one uses exotic materials which drive up costs). Having a chassis (suspension, brakes, steering system) with capacities beyond that of the the given power outputs creates a very nimble, "light", feeling.
Outside of the track, I'm not a fan of rear engined cars. My preference is for front or mid engine configurations, thus my vote for the Boxster over a 996, 993, 964, or earler 911.
Given a comparison between a Boxster and a 993 or 996 convertible, the Boxster has better utility, is easier to drive well, and simply looks better (IMO).
Buy a Boxster.
J
Old 01-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Chris Picklo
User

The 993 is a faster car all around.

Boxsters are street cars, although they handle nicely on the track. The S's brakes are wonderful (essentially 996 brakes), and is fairly stiff once the springs are swapped out.

Something else I found out at the track was that my boxster was MUCH heavier on the driver's side. Kinda surprised me...

I guess if it's a street car it is your preference for feel and comfort, in which this case I miss my old euro SC Targa!

cdp
Old 01-23-2004, 12:06 PM
dakar34
Advanced

I drove a few boxsters and they were great-handling little roadsters. One good thing about them (and all cars with less power) is that you could flog them unmercifully. The boxster s had all the power I needed. I could happily own either. But the 996 put a grin on my face coming out of corners that the regular boxster never did. So after a while spent looking for the right one, a used 996 cab is now in my garage.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:33 PM
JeffES
Pro

dakar,
You've hit on the one spot where I'd take a 996 over a Boxster - on throttle exiting a curve (esp uphill, like 10 & 10a @ Road Atlanta). Fortunatly, I don't do much driving like that on the street, so it's a non issue for me. Enjoy the 996! I think they're great cars.
J

Quick Reply: Boxster over 996