Sponsored by:

tips for buying a boxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 11:13 PM
HMcQueen
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tips for buying a boxster

I drove a 99 Boxster with 45k miles today. This car is a very tempting addition to the garage (my wife loves it) but I want to know what to look for in a used Boxster.

Any tips on specific areas to check into will be appreciated. This is not my first Porsche but would be the first water cooled version as the other were all 911s.

Also, there are wear marks on the soft top, both sides, just behind the upper rear corner of the door glass. This seems to be from top storage/folding. How much to replace a top? Is it a do it yourself job? Are aftermarket tops ok and less $?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Henry
LRM
Old 01-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

The engine changed from 2.5L to 2.7L in 2000. With so many on the market, you might want to drive both (not to mention a 3.2L S).

I have not heard of anyone replacing a top themselves. However, I have heard that aftermarket top replacement is possible.

BTW, in 2000 the warranty went from 2 years to 4 years, so some 2000 cars are (barely) still under warranty. Premature top wear is a warranty issue.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well...of course there's the usual suggestion...get a PPI done at a certified Porsche shop, and in the case of the Boxster probably a dealer because they can look up the VIN and give you a good history of the car's service.

FYI, the '99 did have a 4 year warranty, but they've probably all run out. If you buy from a dealer, you can get an additional year or two (I got a year, but I think they've upped it.)

Overall the cars have proven pretty reliable. Look for rear main seal leaks. Check the top operation (should take less than 13 seconds). Other normal stuff like brakes and tranny wear. Then decide what it's worth to you.

As for the tops...I've not hear of anybody doing them by themselves. I doubt they're cheap...guessing around $3-4K. Depending on what you're going to use it for, a little wear might be ok to live with.

Search the board, there is a lot of info on this topic.

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2004, 07:09 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know your budget, but I would try to get a 2000. What's the car your looking at going for low 20's?
Old 01-22-2004, 08:25 PM
redducati750
User

i got a charcol grey soft top on ebay for 375 brand new. I know porsche charges like 2200 for them, the grey take a bit of upkeep but i think it will look good with the lapis blue
Old 01-23-2004, 06:58 PM
HMcQueen
2nd Gear

The car in question is a triple black '99 with 45k miles. Traction control, tiptronic (needed for my wife to drive and lots of fun to thumb shift),cruise control. Price is $24k but that is under discussion.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would use the condition of the top as leverage and get it for closer to $20k. Then I would think it to be quite a bargain, really. If you get it checked out and everything else appears ok, you'll have a blast. Trust me.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2004, 11:14 AM
dakar34
Advanced

Actually your Porsche dealer cannot give you a history of a car's service record unless the car was always serviced at that dealer. That's what they tell me, though I do find that to be quite backward compared to other marques (e.g. BMW).

Quick Reply: tips for buying a boxster