Sponsored by:

Gear Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:48 PM
gstreev
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Oil Leak

I had a new Sachs clutch kit, Dual mass flywheel, Pelican IMS bearing, crank seal, slave cylinder, right CV boots, new tranny fluid, oil / filter change plus some other parts and hardware. I noticed a small leak after each time I drive it on the garage floor, about the size of a penny on the right side. It smells like gear oil, and it seems to be dripping off of the gear change lower weight. I took off the aluminum pan and nothing is leaking around the oil drain plug, filter or either tranny fill or drain plugs. It wasn't leaking before although I didn't drive it much since the clutch was slipping. I'm going to remove the fill plug to see if it was overfilled next. Yes, I will bring it back to the Indy that did it next, but its a very small operation, I Iike him and he treated me fairly ($2300 including all new parts).
At first I thought it might have been just fluids spilt from the job, but its been over 3 weeks and I cleaned everything I could get to underneath and it isn't. I searched the forums and either looks like the shifter linkeage seal, reverse light switch, overfilled tranny fluid or sealing ring behind the driveshaft. Any ideas that can help me diagnose this further would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:01 AM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

This is a very common issue. The brass bushing where the shifter pivot goes into the tranny sometime weeps and especially so when the tranny has perhaps a bit too much fluid in it. I have it with my 03 S and have learned to live with it since the leak is so miniscule. I'll likely have it addressed when/if I have a tranny rebuild since my 2nd gear is acting up, again, very common with these tranny's. Do a search on 986forum.com and you will see several people have this same issue and some have addressed it.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:52 AM
gstreev
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, unfortunately that's what I thought it was. Wish I had this done when the tranny was out. I have 124K miles and 2nd gear shifts fine, 3rd take a little patience though. Will live with it put I'll try to do something, measure the OD of the shaft, get a seal slightly smaller, cut a notch in it so I can get it on, RTV silicone it to the tranny, use a 2nd seal over it with the notch in a different spot, maybe 11:00 and 1:00 position. The shifting is a sloppy, I picked up a used 997 shifter with 25K miles that I'll try next, I think it was from a 10' Cayman S. I read one thread where they keep the tranny in the car and remove the rear piece, take out the bushing, make the opening lager and put in a larger OD bronze bushing.

Quick Reply: Gear Oil Leak