Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I can't shift past 3rd gear.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 12:18 PM
johnrhopkins
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help! I can't shift past 3rd gear.

This morning I got in my car and I couldn't shift past 2dn gear. I can put it in reverse, 1st, 2nd and neutral. In neutral, it can't move to the right, it stays to the left.

It also has been having that 2nd gear difficulty where it is harder to put it into 2nd gear.

Any ideas?

I searched, but only find articles about the 2nd gear pop-out issue.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:22 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Two areas to check 1) at the transmission end of the cables the ends sometimes pop off the shifter linkage therefore not doing anything. Sometimes the cables themselves stay attached to the linkage but the cables pop out of the bracket that is attached to the transmission. I'd start there. 2) at the shifter itself under the console the cables could have detached. You have to remove the console to get at this area.

You don't give a year, milage or type of transmission so other things could have an impact as well. Everything from engine and transmission mounts to low or very old transmission gear oil.

My 6 speed had an issue 2 years ago where it could not go into the even numbered gears. Turns out the linkage at the trans had popped of. It was an easy fix and has not done it since.

Check the simplest and most obvious as above and if these are not the issue start looking at the transmission itself.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:41 PM
johnrhopkins
Advanced

Thanks. I'll look into those suggestions. The car is a 2001 Boxster S with a 6-speed manual transmission.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:34 PM
johnrhopkins
Advanced

Ok, the issue was where the linkage connects to the transmission. There was, what appears to be, a brass sleeve that wasn't where it was supposed to be. It easily slid back into the rubber boot and I couldn't seem to get it to come back out... I'm sure it will, though. I guess I need to have that coupling replaced.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:30 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I had this kind of problem with some of my manual cars. The gear shifter linkage under the console has loose fasteners. Once it was tightened up, all shifted normal again.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:28 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by johnrhopkins
Ok, the issue was where the linkage connects to the transmission. There was, what appears to be, a brass sleeve that wasn't where it was supposed to be. It easily slid back into the rubber boot and I couldn't seem to get it to come back out... I'm sure it will, though. I guess I need to have that coupling replaced.

Did you get the problem resolved? What did you do? Replace the cable? My friends 2001 Boxster S is doing the exact same thing that it won’t shift past 2dn gear. He can put it in reverse, 1st, 2nd and neutral and it can't move to the right, it stays to the left.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:22 PM
johnrhopkins
Advanced

This issue was temporarily resolved when I moved that sleeve back into the rubber boot. It hasn't started coming back out yet. I do plan on replacing the entire cable in the near future... that is the correct way to fix it.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:45 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help. We inspected the car and found the same problem as your car. We have ordered a new cable and alignment tool and are planning on doing the project this weekend.

Have you found any good DIY articles? the best one that I can find is this one but its for a 997:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...placement.html
Old 10-08-2018, 07:20 PM
johnrhopkins
Advanced

Originally Posted by fskof
Have you found any good DIY articles? the best one that I can find is this one but its for a 997:
Wow, I've actually been useful on this site! That is kind of exciting. As far as finding a DIY article on changing out the cable, I've not looked yet. I was going to tackle that in the spring.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:56 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnrhopkins
Wow, I've actually been useful on this site! That is kind of exciting. As far as finding a DIY article on changing out the cable, I've not looked yet. I was going to tackle that in the spring.

Yes you were. Thanks! The pics helped big time.

For the cheapest parts that we were able to find so far:

- Shifter alignment tool $3.60
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...oaApGJEALw_wcB

- OEM Shift Cable $352.38
https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.co...le-98642404208

Quick Reply: Help! I can't shift past 3rd gear.