Sponsored by:

IMS Options for Norcal Resident

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:31 PM
Wangta
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default IMS Options for Norcal Resident

Hi guys - so I'm doing a major service for my '01 Boxster S with tiptronic. I'd like to keep the car for awhile, so I've been researching IMS bearing replacement options. I know this topic is beaten to death, but I'm finding the price discrepency pretty wide between a replacement bearing and the IMS Solution.

I received a quote today from a preferred IMS Solutions shop for IMS solution install and it was $8K just for the IMS solution install. I'd also have to ship the car there, so add that expense on top of getting the RMS, tranny seal, engine chain tensioners, etc - we're looking at $10k.

Some local shops have quoted me about $3k for a Vertex or roller bearing that should last 75k miles. Realize the IMS is a wear part, so I'd have to replace it again after 75k miles but my car has 100k on it already....and the IMS solution install is 3x the price! I love the durability of the IMS solution, but just not sure it makes sense on a car this old?? Think about the opportunity cost of $7k!

I was pretty set on going with the IMS solution, but I was expecting about $5k for installation.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:54 AM
thom4782
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your guess is right in the ballpark. Unless the $8K shop was doing a lot of extra stuff, its quote is way off. I put a Solution in an 01S with a clutch and RMS job in the Bay area and got out the door for about $4K. Surely, doing this in a Tip can't be that much more.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:55 AM
thom4782
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW: the variocam tensioners added about $1K to the bill
Old 08-08-2018, 03:25 AM
Wangta
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thom4782
Your guess is right in the ballpark. Unless the $8K shop was doing a lot of extra stuff, its quote is way off. I put a Solution in an 01S with a clutch and RMS job in the Bay area and got out the door for about $4K. Surely, doing this in a Tip can't be that much more.
hmmm - thanks for the confirmation. I felt pretty prepared to not be sticker shocked - yet I was regardless. Lol. Do you mind sharing where you had yours done?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First, there's no way I'd ship my Porsche off for a IMS bearing. Flat six holds the price close, I'd investigate ordering the kit & having it done locally. Lots of great indie Porsche repairs in the Bay area I would think.

The thing with the $8000 price is that it includes a lifetime warranty. Which might be worth something, but I don't know what. You say your car has made it over the 100,000 mile mark with the original engine. It may not need to be replaced. Are you planning on keeping the car forever. Even if an LN ims bearing has a service life of 75k mi. do you think you're gonna get to 175k mi.? Really? Your tiptronic may not make it that long. I think I'd treat the car as semi-disposable. Do a more reasonable IMS bearing job locally and start a fund to buy another Boxster. $5000 is a very good down payment. LN engineering offers really good IMS Bearing kits.

If you really do plan on keeping it forever, I wouldn't mess with the old, probably somewhat tired engine. I don't have the resources, but I'd definitely go with this: https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...-for-sale.html Sticker shock? Try $15 grand. But all new, and really worth it.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW, if you choose an IMS Solution preferred shop, they are probably trained by Flat Six in Georgia. Probably not cheap to do. (And why they can offer a lifetime warranty.)
Old 08-08-2018, 05:48 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I presume you know of Babblers, the Boxster forum in the bay area. Ask there or better do a search. Gotta been asked before.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:45 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

8K is pretty far off base. The solution at retail is 1725. 4 hours to R&R the trans, and 3 hours to do the install, and 2 hours to do the qualification. Yes, I have installed one myself. Even if it was 16 hours of labor that should be around 1600.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:16 PM
hushypushy
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't need to ship your car, there are plenty of trustworthy places here in the Bay Area you can take it to. My Boxster had IMS, RMS, clutch, and many other things done at Flintworks in Campbell.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:58 PM
Question5150
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by hushypushy
You don't need to ship your car, there are plenty of trustworthy places here in the Bay Area you can take it to. My Boxster had IMS, RMS, clutch, and many other things done at Flintworks in Campbell.
Where? Don't just blubber we have plenty of poop. Name it.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:05 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Question5150
Where? Don't just blubber we have plenty of poop. Name it.
Um, this is a 4 year old and 4 year dormant thread. The shop which did the work, and its location, are noted in the last sentence of the post you responded to.

Quick Reply: IMS Options for Norcal Resident