Sponsored by:

PCM problems with tel and nav

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:41 PM
aldo964
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCM problems with tel and nav

Hi, I reccently purchased a 1999 986 Boxster which I'm very pleased with. It's a fantastic little car!
When I first got it the navigation (original PCM hardware, that is the first version) was working and although I didn't test it the previous owner claimed that the phone would function with a sim card.

A couple of months ago I left the car at my mechanics for a few days, during which they must of left something on and the battery drained. Ever since then I haven't been able to get the navigation and/or the phone to work.

The navigation says that the disc is unreadable.
And the phone doesn't recognize the sim card. I am using a micro-sim. Perhaps I need an older/larger one?

Any advice would be greatly apricated. I've read about pressing the buttons 2,4,8 to reboot the PCM but i only have buttons 1-6.
I have also disconected the PCM to reboot it but still no dice.

Could anybody confirm that the navigation will work without a sim card installed? or is the sim neccesary for the gps signal?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:43 PM
aldo964
Instructor

P.S:
Also, does the cd drive under the PCM read audio cd's or is it just for the navigation softwear?
And another problem I have is the PCM doesn't recognize the cd changer in the frunk.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:32 AM
aldo964
Instructor

I was messing with the PCM this morning and somehow was able to get it working. So I'll reply to my own post for posterity, maybe it could be of help to somebody else.

I think the problem was that previously I'd been trying to get it working while sitting in my garage, where gps/gsm reception may have been poor (also because part of my antenna is missing, only the base is present)

All I did today was:

* Turn igntion to position 1.
* Insert sim card and wait for it to lock onto a network.
* Start navigation and insert cd when prompted.
* Wait about 5 minutes for softwear to load. (note: leave navigation cd in drive/reader)

So I was very surprised that it's all working now!
However the phone signal is very poor, it frequently comes and goes. I don't know if that's because of the aformentioned antenna issue or if there's just bad coverage in the area.

So to answer my questions:
Originally Posted by aldo964
I am using a micro-sim. Perhaps I need an older/larger one?
Negative. Micro-sim is compatible.

Originally Posted by aldo964
Could anybody confirm that the navigation will work without a sim card installed?
Confirmed.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:37 AM
aldo964
Instructor

Quick Reply: PCM problems with tel and nav