Instrument Cluster Flashing On and Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 AM
RBC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Flashing On and Off

1998 Boxster with Tip. 37,XXX miles.

Out of the blue during a drive the other day, all the lights on the instrument cluster started flashing on and off, and the gauges went dead, aside from some errant twitching. It almost goes on and off like it's on a blinker relay. See video below please.

Here's the troubleshooting I've done so far:

1. Disconnected the battery, reconnected it, and followed the re-connection procedure.
2. Pulled fuses B1, B10 and E1. All good.
3. Pulled the instrument cluster and removed/reinstalled the plugs.
4. Checked the electrical operation of other components. Everything works fine.
5. Confirmed in my records that the ignition switch was replaced in 2011.
6. The ignition switch operates smoothly, but that doesn't mean the electrical portion is still good.

Is is possible that the electrical portion of the ignition switch has failed again? I would think there would be other symptoms other than just the cluster issue.

Any troubleshooting tips would be most appreciated!
Old 08-09-2018, 08:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

My WAG is it is the ignition switch.

Many replace just the electrical portion (sometimes with an OEM vs. an OE part) when Porsche has had a policy -- for years -- of replacing the entire assembly to avoid "comebacks".

See if you can create the behavior or affect the behavior by applying some force on the key in various directions.

You don't want to snap a key blade off in the switch just see if you can move the switch enough to create a bad connection or improve a bad connection.

(When my Boxster was in for a suspected bad ignition switch that's what the tech did. A number of switch on/switch off cycles with him pressing the key first one direction then another.)
Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 AM
RBC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...That's the direction I'm going at the moment. I found that the entire assembly was replaced in '11, so it has the updated switch. I removed the switch, and it looks perfect, but I know you can't determine operation on looks alone. New switch on the way, and crossing my fingers.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Flashing On and Off