Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Boxster clunk in rear end on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 03:04 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried out a Boxster S in AZ. What a horrible banging. Didn't buy it. I did buy an 03 Base. Same deal, but more so in AZ than MN. Sharp small bumps like cracks do it most. I had my shop drop suspension arms. All good. Two cars, same problem. Sounds like something is really loose. Not a tinny sound. Not a solid heavy sound. More like a suspension linkage sound, but what? There are days when it doesn't do it, then back it cones. Must be a common issue, so why isn't there a common solution? I have seen lots of guesses and speculation, but have not found that basic solution. Some say that replacing things 'helped', but what has been a proven identified solution? Inquiring minds want to know. Anyone have one? Damn thing is maddening.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:36 PM
user 20389
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well after 6 months of work I think that I have finally fixed the "clunk" that I have had in the rear end. I had replace everything except shocks and motor mounts. Finally replace the shocks and found that the bumper stop on each shock was about 1/2" thick. Replaced both and with new shocks the clunk is gone. THE CLUNK IS GONE. Still have on more noise that occurs when I accelerate pretty hard and turn left. I think this is probably motor mount since I can hear and feel it. will replace tranny and motor mounts to fix. I will point out that replacing shocks and replacing a broken cv joint boot is not the easiest chore but my $500 in parts is far less than any quoted price I got. I was given $600 to replace one boot and shock. $500 for the other shock. I have always worked on my cars and although I love my Porsches this one is the most difficult to work on and most expensive for parts.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Here's a tip, if you have a 986 with over 50,K miles replace everything in the suspension that has not already been replaced. Much easier to replace at the same time & you only have to have the alignment done once.

Quick Reply: 1998 Boxster clunk in rear end on bumps