Technical advice needed from 3.4 boxster owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 11:37 PM
sportster98xls
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical advice needed from 3.4 boxster owners

Hello all,

Due to the lack of Porsche tuners in my region.

I have to resort to do the installation in my own workshop. Buying the necessary hardware from FVD.

I have encountered a few issues during the installation and hope somebody here can help answer these questions.

1) Which fuel rails to use for the 3.4 engine, retain the old boxster 2.5 fuel rail on the 3.4 engine ?

The fuel rails of the 3.4 engine is different from the boxster although they both use the same type of injectors.

The difference is in the fuel intake and exit pipes. The boxster's fuel rail come in from the left and exits on the right, wheras the 3.4 996 engine fuel rail both enter and exit on the left side.

Hope somebody can answer the 1 st problem i encountered.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would have to ask someone for a definitive answer, but if I recall correctly in reading about 3.4 swaps, you need to use the fuel rail from the 2.5.

Again, I would check with another source to make sure that is absolutely correct.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:03 AM
sportster98xls
Advanced

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help,

If you are able to find out about the fuel rails, can you also ask which throttle body the boxster 3.4 should be using ?

The old 2.5 or the new 3.4 (996) throttle body?

I have mounted on the engine and it is running very rich using the 2.5 throttle body...

thanks
James
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2004, 05:44 PM
redducati750
User

we really need a step by step guide to this swap, as more and more 996 cars get wrecked and 2.5s get old this is going to become more and more common place. The shop that is in the process of dooing mine has yet to do the 3.4 swap, im not to worried as they build Carrera Cup cars and my boxster was by far the most humble car in the stable but a reference would be nice.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:28 AM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

There have been a few threads on engine swaps, like:

3.4 swap
3.4 or 3.6 swap

There are more in the archives, but the last one there has some input from a gent in NY at RaceTek that does the 3.4 conversion for "around 14K", which included the engine and initial dyno tuning. I think a step-by-step guide would be awesome, but I get the impression that most of the conversions have been done by shops and tuners - who are usually a little reluctant to release "how tos" for services they offer. Has anyone done the 3.4 conversion on their own? Ie - not had it done by a shop?
Old 01-14-2004, 11:31 AM
sportster98xls
Advanced

I was at my workshop for three days and it was all it took for the conversion with all the necessary hardware.

If your work shop is able to drop the boxster engine, the conversion is not too difficult for them.

Just swap all the engine harness and fuel rail over to the 3.4 and some minor changes to the water pipe entry and exit bla bla bla

Just remember to use the 3.4 throttle body instead of the boxsters ( my 3.4 engine did not come with the throttle body)

I bought parts from FVD and it did not come with instructions on what to look out for. ( Found out after emailing them abt why the engine running too rich)

From my mechanic's experiance, he says ( as compared to swapping engines on Japanese scoobies) the conversion is almost a bolt on!

I am waiting for my 3.4 throttle body to arrive so m running the boxster 3.4 engine with a boxster throttle body on the boxster orginal ECU, already it drives with more torque then the boxster s !

cant wait for the tuned FVD ECU to go with the 3.4 throttle body!

Cheers
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2004, 06:38 PM
redducati750
User

i was under the impression that the boxster throttle body was ok, i know that my boxster is an e-gas and the engine i have is the later set up so they were gonna use one off the boxster.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:53 PM
sportster98xls
Advanced

For my case, my 3.4 engine is a non EGAS and so i need a non EGAS throttle to fit..

Ducati750, what year is your boxster? What sort of gearbox are you running ? manual or Tip ? Making any changes on the gearbox to handle the extra horses?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Boxster 3.4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sportster,

I have over 5,000 miles on my FVD 3.4 conversion and am still running the stock 5 speed. Only mod was a Sachs superclutch when it was apart. No problems so far at all.

I have a non-egas 3.4 with the FVD ECU and FVD 3.4 Sportcams / headers/cats. I LOVE the car and it goes like hell.

I'm sure you will have a permagrin as well when your all done.

http://dlewis1340.home.mchsi.com/

Quick Reply: Technical advice needed from 3.4 boxster owners