Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch behavior (Central/Southern NH)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 12:07 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Clutch behavior (Central/Southern NH)

Hello all,
I have a deposit down on a 2002 Boxster base with just shy of 72K miles on the clock. Complete service history is not available, so I am scheduling a PPI.
Recommendations on a good Indy for PPI in the Concord/Nashua would be appreciated.
Test drive went fairly well. The previous owners took fairly good care of the car.
One slight issue I noticed was that when at speed, I could feel a very faint "bump" in the shift lever when going on and off the throttle in 5th gear. I didn't think to try it in the other gears, but I did feel it in 5th. Does this behavior sound familiar to anyone? I have owned manual transmissions before and have not felt this bump before.
Without service records, I will assume that the clutch has not been replaced since new, but I don't know if that even sounds like a clutch issue.
Thoughts?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:21 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

It sounds like it might be the engine mount. These are known to wear on 986 Boxsters and can exhibit what you describe. Do a search here and at 986forum.com and you will find all kinds of stuff referencing the engine mount. There is a good write up in the '101 Projects For your Boxster' book and on the Pelican Parts web sight as well. I can't imagine a worn clutch accounting for this
Old 05-02-2018, 05:11 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Originally Posted by paulofto
It sounds like it might be the engine mount. These are known to wear on 986 Boxsters and can exhibit what you describe. Do a search here and at 986forum.com and you will find all kinds of stuff referencing the engine mount. There is a good write up in the '101 Projects For your Boxster' book and on the Pelican Parts web sight as well. I can't imagine a worn clutch accounting for this
Ahh, Interesting. I can certainly see that being a cause. I will look into this. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Noorder
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently reached out to the local PCA tech committee lead for some shop referrals as I just got burned by a Concord indie shop on my 951 and, of the shops he recommended, the closest one to what you are looking for is:
Precisions Imports in Manchester, NH - Another excellent shop with a good rep. Haven't heard any complaints. (603-624-1113)
Hope that helps and good luck with the purchase. I'm looking for an '03-'04 Boxster S and finding a good one without a ton of mileage at a reasonable price is tough!

-Alex
Old 05-03-2018, 10:31 AM
skidpalace
Advanced

Originally Posted by Noorder
I recently reached out to the local PCA tech committee lead for some shop referrals as I just got burned by a Concord indie shop on my 951 and, of the shops he recommended, the closest one to what you are looking for is:
Precisions Imports in Manchester, NH - Another excellent shop with a good rep. Haven't heard any complaints. (603-624-1113)

Hope that helps and good luck with the purchase. I'm looking for an '03-'04 Boxster S and finding a good one without a ton of mileage at a reasonable price is tough!

-Alex
Thank you. Unfortunately I had to walk from this purchase. For some reason I was under the impression that you could somehow scope the IMS through a cover of some sort. I have since learned that there is no way to verify a retrofit (no so with the IMS Solution, of course) without dropping the tranny.
So, in light of the not so short list of red flags, I have withdrawn my offer.
Flags include:
Four previous owners, Auctioned twice.
Verbal claim of IMS from previous owner to current owner, but no paperwork.
The above mentioned bump/pop on acceleration.
Only one key on which the fob part does not function.
Admission from current owner's mechanic that there is "seepage from the main seal area"
Exhaust is starting to split.
Owner is not very negotiable on the price, which was at the top of the range.

Oh well, not the first car I've walked from. There'll be more.

Quick Reply: Clutch behavior (Central/Southern NH)