Sponsored by:

Removing the Upper Idle Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Richard Jenkins
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the Upper Idle Pulley

Had my upper idler pulley seize and I am trying to change it out. Do I need to rotate the alternator to get it out. I really don’t want to try to free the rear compression nut (if that is what it is called). I did this on my 996 and it two days of soaking with acetone/ATF to get it free.

Thanks for the help help in advance...
Old 03-19-2018, 03:02 AM
Geof3
Advanced

I think you can wiggle it out, but don’t remember as I was pulling the alt anyway. Yeah, that rear compression sleeve can be a pain! A couple of good whacks on that idler bolt after loosening does a decent job of moving it though. I had to use penetrating spray as well.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:56 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if he got it out. Pelican has a great how to write up about removing the alternator, he doesn't have to go all the way on that,
but he does need to free up the big bolt to rotate the alternator out of the mount. Here's what I remember, remove the bolt on the lower left of the alternator, loosen the big bolt,
with the idler--4 complete turns, rap it with a drift and a hammer to get the capture nut out of the mount, then you can rotate the alternator out so you can back the big bolt out of
the alternator ear. The big bolt & idler will just pull out then.

Be sure to disconnect the battery, there's a very hot cable on the alternator.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:46 PM
Richard Jenkins
Track Day

Thanks for the advice. It gave me enough courage to actually use a little force to get it out. I’ve broken things more than once by trying to force them the wrong way.

I was eventually able to get it out by loosening the lower bolt on the alternator and wiggling the alternator around. I didn’t want to open the top on the car since it was still cold here. I broke the plastic in my first top that way.

I read the the article for the pulley removal on Pelican. Unfortunately they label many instructions as 986 but they are actually for the 996. I found the same thing on Pelican when I looked to remove my rear bumper cover. It was also labeled 986 but was for the 996.

Quick Reply: Removing the Upper Idle Pulley