Sponsored by:

Cheap and Easy lowering and negative camber

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:29 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cheap and Easy lowering and negative camber

Looking to get a Boxster and turn it into a car for looks than the track, which for my budget and technical comfort would be painting, lowering, wheels, and negative camber (in order to facilitate increased lowering). Of course all of this on a budget.

So my questions are:

1) Lowering - has anyone simply cut the springs on the stock Boxster and achieved satisfactory results from such?

2) Negative Camber - Has anyone used this method, or similar, and what were the results:

Looking forward to any/all constructive advice, thank you
Old 03-14-2018, 11:01 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

#1 I don't know but I doubt it because using lowering springs can provide some extra neg camber but not like in your picture so cut springs probably wouldn't either, and for, #2, No it doesn't work that way on the Boxster.

However, if you want to get lots of extra neg camber, like the picture, KSport Kontrol Pro coilovers is probably one of the most budget ways to get both the lowering and the extreme camber, in the front you can lower and move the strut top inboard much more than you can with the OEM strut top, combined that will give you lots of neg front camber, and for the rear you can lower, and there are 3 positions for moving the strut top to give more neg camber in the back, lowering plus these settings will give you much more in the back. I had a set of them briefly on my track car but sold them because they weren't right for me, but the car never looked better than when I had them on You will also need adjustable rear toe arms if you go that low and add that much neg camber because you will run out of adjustments on the stock arms, something like this:

http://meganracing.com/suspension/ty...s-pc-0470.html

Event though it doesn't include 986 Boxster, these are the right ones. There are other good options, I personally am running the rennline rear toe arms with bump steer adjustment, but the megan racing are one of the most affordable options I've seen.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:48 PM
Anker
Instructor

Cutting springs won't work. With the increased camber the toe-in changes and will go out of range.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:45 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steved0x
KSport Kontrol Pro coilovers is probably one of the most budget ways to get both the lowering and the extreme camber.

You will also need adjustable rear toe arms if you go that low and add that much neg camber because you will run out of adjustments on the stock arms:
So with these:
http://www.redline360.com/ksport-kon...0aAixZEALw_wcB
and these:
http://meganracing.com/suspension/ty...s-pc-0470.html
Price tag of about $1500 I should be set, correct?
Looks like a straightforward install, I'm thinking should be do-able by Noon if I get up early enough...
Old 03-18-2018, 10:53 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

The best looking negative camber jobs are using concave wheels.
Most Boxsters for sale have the turbo twist wheels (I personally never liked the way those looked).
Has anyone done the lowering and negative cambering on a Boxster with turbo twists and can you post pictures if so.
Thank you.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:17 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

do not, i repeat, do not even think about increasing negative camber in this manner. dangerous, hack, etc. If you really want negative camber, you can lengthen the slots on the shock towers inward.

For your first time, probably take you 6 to 8 hours

Quick Reply: Cheap and Easy lowering and negative camber