Sponsored by:

A Boxster for your child.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 PM
hwyrnr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Boxster for your child.

How many of you have bought or passed on a Boxster to your teenage child. I just sold my 84 928s, my daughter liked that car and even mentioned she would take it as her car. I wasn’t real comfortable about her trying to use it as a daily driver. I used it as a weekend fun car. Well Im already regretting selling it and it’s only been a few days. So I was kinda looking at some earlier Boxster’s. I’m wanting a 996 or 997 eventually but I need to get my daughter a car first. So I figured a Boxster could hold me over for the next few months and I could pass it on to her and then work on finding me a new toy.

So have any or many of you passed down a Boxster to your child? What issues did you have with your child driving the car? And how badly was your insurance effected by adding said child to the insurance of that car?

thanks, James
Old 03-15-2018, 10:06 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Her age and driving experience? Driving record? Does she have to depend on the car? Pay for repairs? I loved mine and they were wonderfully reliable. But I had a backup car and I could afford repairs to what is now an aged car.

I had 2 kids, one with several accidents and one with none. A Porsche is much more expensive to repair after an accident than a Civic of the same era (both driveable). I had what I considered a minor accident in my Boxster and estimated $3-5k based on Civic experiences with his car. Mine was $27k when they stopped counting.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:04 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It'd be a cold day in h ell before I'd give a teenager anything more than basic transportation. Let 'em earn the money and buy one when they can afford one. More likely, I'd find a Subaru or Toyota for them to drive. No financing, no co-signing. Just safe basic transport to learn to drive in.

I have an 03 Prius that I'm putting on C/L this week. One of the nicest little cars I've seen, I would have killed to have one that nice when I was young. Lots of room, fun to drive and comfortable, economical, safe (with side airbags, even) and looks nice. I'd probably give an active college student a bit of a discount.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:39 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I recently bought a 2002 base with 39k miles that I am going to use as a track car for my 2 teen sons.

The older cars do not have enough safety features for me to go that route for daily drivers.

Their daily transportation (if I ever turn them loose) will be a 15k brand new 2017 Jetta SE 5 speed manual (for each).

They are learning on these Jetta's currently. We bought 2 at the end of 2017 and got 5k off of each car and it has a warranty.

Pranqster

Quick Reply: A Boxster for your child.