Looking to buy my first Boxster - project

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 04:55 PM
bekks
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first Boxster - project

Hello,
I've seen an opportunity come up that I am thinking about taking. There is a 2002 Boxster S with 140,000 km for $4,000 CAD. I don't have many details yet, but apparently it is giving off significant white smoke. My research suggests the AOS. My question is, if the engine will still run, is there much risk of any further damage? Say I start it up at the guy's house, it seems to idle OK (perhaps a little rough), then I get it trailered to my house and replace the AOS. And probably the IMS too, since I don't expect to be getting any background info on it. Would anyone be worried about further problems? i.e. new engine?
Old 01-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why start it up at all? I suspect your diagnosis is correct, but you run the risk of a hydra lock with that bad an AOS. I would simply flat bed it to your house, replace the AOS, clean the intake and then start it up.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:29 PM
bekks
Advanced

I certainly see your point, but I want to make sure that it isn't hydrolocked already.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:35 PM
extanker
Banned

i would want to hear it run
Old 01-02-2018, 10:47 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

You have looked at the color of both the oil and water? Pulled any of the spark plugs?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Anker
Instructor

I would negotiate with the seller that you could return the car and get your money back if a replacement AOS doesn't fix the smoke. It would cost you a couple hundred if you do the work yourself.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:45 PM
tdemo1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bekks,
I am assuming you are in the Calgary area. I saw the ad and followed up with the owner. He sent me this video showing the definite AOS issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arct...ature=youtu.be. He also sent me two pictures with the engine out of the boxster, which is currently sitting in his shop, while the body is outside. I posted a similar thread in another Boxster forum and everyone said 'run away'. Would love to see follow up if you do go ahead with the project. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:45 AM
Anker
Instructor

All 986es are project cars. Its just a question how big a project you want. This one is a lot more that I would tackle, and because the engine is out you have no idea how big!
Old 01-08-2018, 03:12 PM
bekks
Advanced

@tdemo1 - That's the one. I tried to go look at it, but he had already sold it within a day or two of posting it. The price looked awesome if it was just an AOS replacement needed. He mentioned that a mechanic thought it might be the head gasket and my thoughts were that it was diagnosed by a mechanic that wasn't familiar with Porches. Definitely a bit of a gamble, but I probably would have went for it if the rest of the car looked good.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first Boxster - project