Sponsored by:

Boxster rear window vinyl replacement sew-in

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 03:03 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Boxster rear window vinyl replacement sew-in

I am midway through replacing the vinyl window in my '01 986 S. The original window had shrunk, and the window pulled out of the seams on the passenger side. I had an estimate for $1200 to replace the top with a new one, but since I love projects, I decided to try sewing in a new window.

For starters, this is a frustrating product. Working on engine parts is one thing, but fighting with fabric and thread without the aid of a sewing machine can be super frustrating.

So, I started by measuring the old window, and order new vinyl (Regalite 30 ga vinyl fabric) from SailRite. Also picked up some basting tape (this stuff is awesome), thread (did not use the Sail Rite thread...bought a stronger product), sailing thread sealant, a Speedy Stitcher (sewing awl- this was a failure), and started the process or measuring the old and making a template out of paper. Cost of materials: maybe $125

Removed the top (with frame) from the car and brought in the house. Used Razor to remove old window stitching. Laid old window on new vinyl and traced it out. Cut with an extra 1/2" on each side. I will likely just leave that extra on window.

Used the basting tape to hold window on top in place. This did not work great. Had to use Gorilla Tape to hold it better. Tried to use the Speedy Stitcher, but had too many failures, so I tossed it aside and went to a plain old long sewing needle. After a couple hours of sewing, I have about 12" completed. Should be able to finish up in a few days. If you've seen the vinyl window and the inside of it, you will remember seeing a piece of black vinyl that sits on outside perimeter of the vinyl window. This black vinyl is very important as it acts to add support for the thread when you push it from the outside in. Without this black vinyl, the thread would be holding onto the convertible top and the window only. I had serious alignment issues with this piece of vinyl, but figured out how to align it as I go along. I would lie under the top and look up to ensure that vinyl was in the right place.

I will have pics updated tonight. Not done yet, and this has been a big learning experience. I think the better route would have been to have the top done by a pro. And that is probably what I will do in a year or so.
Attached Images          

Last edited by sequel95; 10-30-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:25 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Sorry about a few upside down pics. Not sure why that’s happening.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:00 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Well done

By the way, I'm not seeing any pictures upside down.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:04 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Thanks Mike. You have been a huge influence on this project. I followed Maurice’s instructions to remove the top. It was the easiest part of the project thus far.

I haven’t had time to stitch any more but hope to get back to it later this week.

Here are a few Flickr pics of this project:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/galfano/7r2uq4
Old 11-01-2017, 01:31 PM
sequel95
Instructor

I’m making progress on the sewing-in of the new window. My thread has been snapping, which causes a 15 minute delay to clean up the thread end and rethread the needle.

One of the most important aspects of this job is to ensure the black vinyl trim piece on the inside of top (sits on the vinyl window) is in place to accept the needle. I missed a few inches of the black vinyl fabric, and planning to use more seam sealant in that area on the inside of top.
Attached Images   
Old 11-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

looks good, but reconfirms my opinion that this just isn't worth it from a diy perspective.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

To make this project more practical, all we need is a recommendation for a better Awl and thread. Kevlar thread and visiting the Sailmaker's websites could be useful?
Old 11-07-2017, 01:33 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

a valiant effort for sure, but usually when the window goes bad, the top is soon to follow. Also, auto tops direct sells a brand new high quality replacement for 450 and actually, you could replace the top yourself, as you have managed to do, without removing the frame. Our guy down the street charges customers 300 dollars labor to install a new top and does a great job.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:20 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Thanks dr914! Yes, I would not recommend the project I am doing unless an owner has a budget of $100 to solve the shrunken window problem.

Actually, I made a wooden jig to “squeeze” the top and new vinyl window but the curved nature of the top didn’t work with my flat jig. Oh well, I wanted to try that route.

Will get more pics uploaded over the weekend. Still in Miami for work.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:53 AM
sequel95
Instructor

Hi guys. So I finished the new vinyl window sew-in last night, and re-installed the top on the car. Well, the project did not turn out as I expected. It took me a LONG time to sew, and despite efforts to keep canvas and vinyl tight, I have a loose vinyl window that does not look great. I used a soldering iron (gingerly) to burn the thread knots and seam sealer (basically contact cement) to make sure the thread holes don't leak.

There may be shops who successfully sew in a new vinyl window, but for the life of me, I don't know how they could do it with the top on the frame. Removing the top from the frame to have a shop sew-in a new window seems like a waste (about as much as my project) as you might as well install a new top.

I uploaded a few more pics to flickr https://www.flickr.com/gp/galfano/7r2uq4 to show the products I used. If I can't dissuade you from doing this project, PM me for specific info on where to buy the tools and parts for this project. At least I have the Boxster back on the road before the snow flies!

Schnell: Sorry for not replying to your post. I missed it. The needles I used from Hobby Lobby and the thread I used (see the pic on flickr) worked great. The problem is not pushing the needle through the canvas, etc. The challenge is keeping the new vinyl taut with the canvas top. I thought I had it all tight as could be (and clamped my hinges to keep top as extended as possible) but that clearly did not work as planned.

Last edited by sequel95; 11-27-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I think you're not giving yourself enough credit. The window is a bit wavy, but I was expecting much worse. Looks pretty good and you'll get another few years out of that easy. Either way, not something I'd like to do, but I think you did pretty good considering.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:25 AM
sequel95
Instructor

Thanks Quad! Now onto water pump and thermostat and AOS!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by sequel95
Thanks Quad! Now onto water pump and thermostat and AOS!
Those will be a breeze by comparison. Very straightforward stuff.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:34 PM
sequel95
Instructor

While not Boxster related, I finally finished a timing belt, etc. project for our babysitter: https://www.flickr.com/gp/galfano/766X83

Runs smooth now but the car still has issues... like cheap suspension replacement.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:50 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Default Another reason NOT to do this project!

All, it has been a few weeks since my car is back on the road after the vinyl window sew-in, and I had a new experience earlier this week. Since I used non-tinted vinyl, in the earlier hours of the morning, and at sundown, the sun comes through very strong through the vinyl window without any UV protection. I knew the glass is tinted on most of my cars, but had no idea how helpful the tint can be.

The window has been nice and tight. We have not had snow yet in Wisconsin, so I am still driving it!

Quick Reply: Boxster rear window vinyl replacement sew-in