Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh, geez, where did this connect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:37 AM
ajgarvin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh, geez, where did this connect?

If you recognize this connector, which is dangling above the accelerator pedal in my 1998 Boxster, waiting for me to know what to do with it, PLEASE let me know what it is! In case it matters: the car is an automatic (which is unfortunate, but I inherited the car from an uncle, so I shouldn't complain).

I try to clear the drain lines on a regular basis but life's been less than kind this year (my dad was diagnosed with cancer and then passed away) and I forgot.
Of course one of the soft top well drains clogged and the carpet and the foam in the passenger compartment got soaked. I had no choice but to dismantle the interior enough to take the entire floor carpeting and foam backing out of the car to dry it out.

After the carpet was good and dry, I gave it a good cleaning and put it back in. Got everything back together except I discovered a 2-wire electrical connector dangling loose over the accelerator pedal.
It must have been snagged and pulled loose as I either pulled the carpet out of the car or worked it back in. Or maybe it's one of those connectors that are present for the addition of some accessory but unused otherwise?

Here's a photo (an excessively large one) of the connector. Can someone tell me what it is and where it goes?

Four pin connector, but only two pins used. I'm red/green colorblind, but I'd say the wires are red and black with white stripe.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:50 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't have a wiring diagram for '98. Wire colors appear brown and black/white.

Does that connector come apart any further (the section with the 4 sockets)? The is a number showing underneath the 1 socket.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:21 AM
kderry
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the kickdown switch connector. It connects to the kickdown switch on the accelerator pedal assembly.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:26 PM
ajgarvin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kderry
That's the kickdown switch connector. It connects to the kickdown switch on the accelerator pedal assembly.
kderry --

Thanks so much!

Now I just have to figure out where the kickdown switch is on the accelerator pedal assembly. Before I posted my question, I'd felt and and looked for the mating connector on the pedal -- since it seemed the obvious place given that the connector on the cable was hanging right there -- and completely missed it. Then I went through all the electrical diagrams for the 98 Boxster looking for a 2-pin connector in that approximate location with those wire colors and didn't find it there either.

Is the pedal side of the connection accessible without unscrewing the pedal from the floor?
Old 12-08-2017, 05:11 AM
kderry
Advanced

On top of the lower section, IIRC.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:13 AM
kderry
Advanced

You may need to remove the pedal assembly to get at it, but it's only held in with a screw or two.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:18 AM
kderry
Advanced

Kickdown switch is here.

Quick Reply: Oh, geez, where did this connect?