Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windows won't go all the way up when top is up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 03:56 AM
boxsterbran
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows won't go all the way up when top is up.

My windows won't go all the way up when my top is up. Like when you are putting the tip down the windows drop down about 1/3 and can not be put up until the top has gone through the whol course and the top light goes out on the dash board. I rescently replaced the top and suspect the trigger switch on the laft hand top's frame is the culprit but not sure. When I unplug it after the top is up the windows go all the way up but if I plug it back in the wondows go down about 1/3 again. When the top is all the way down the windows go all the way up and down with this switch telling the car the top is all way down. Any help would be great.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsterbran
My windows won't go all the way up when my top is up. Like when you are putting the tip down the windows drop down about 1/3 and can not be put up until the top has gone through the whol course and the top light goes out on the dash board. I rescently replaced the top and suspect the trigger switch on the laft hand top's frame is the culprit but not sure. When I unplug it after the top is up the windows go all the way up but if I plug it back in the wondows go down about 1/3 again. When the top is all the way down the windows go all the way up and down with this switch telling the car the top is all way down. Any help would be great.
Not a top expert by any means but I seem to recall there are two switches of the top latch assembly in the windshield frame.

The left switch controls the initial window drop when the latch is opened.

The switch on the right side works with the top relay.

Based on what you posted and what (admittedly little I know about this top stuff -- the real expert is a guy named Maurice but I don't know where he hangs out -- my WAG is the switch on the left is bad.

The plunger is bent, or the switch just worn out. (When I disassembled the clutch interlock switch of my Boxster the contacts were just worn out.)

I have not used the top in my Boxster for ages and I'm not familar with the setup and I'm not at the car but you may be able to arrange to leave the latch open/unlatched and using a small wooden dowel (or pencil the eraser end) depress the plunger of the left switch to see if the windows behave as expected.

Whether you can some how "repair" the switch or you have to replace it I can't say.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

This happens to me occasionally. I open and reclose the center latch and they go up.
The following users liked this post:
911Ragtop (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 02:20 PM
911Ragtop
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shawn I like your quote and cool collection of cars. Porsches really can be tools of expedient transportation when driven correctly.

I'd also like to contribute an easy work-around for anyone who has had this 1/3 windows wont go up issue.
Goto the door lock, insert key and hold it till the windows go up. So far that's the only way my windows are closing which is huge for all the rain we've been having.

For some reason the windows go up all the way from the door lock technique, but not the interior buttons and I've flipped the microswitch several times so this is what's I'm doing till I decide to replace the switch on the top.

Last edited by 911Ragtop; 06-03-2023 at 04:37 PM. Reason: clairify
CharlesLS (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 05:41 PM
911Ragtop
Advanced

Well I tracked this down the Relay. I swapped the relay with a good one and the windows went right up. So if your windows don't go up when the top is latched but they do go all the way up when the top is in the down position, this could be the solution.
I made a video about this on my Schrockahasi Bros Channel.
CharlesLS (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 08:06 PM
CharlesLS
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Interesting finding.

I was under the impression that this relay was just an H-Bridge for the convertible top since removing it doesn't stop the windows from going up and down, but does stop the top from moving. But, taking the cover off it confirms that it's a LOT more complicated than that...

Edit: Or am I removing the wrong relay.... ?

Last edited by CharlesLS; 06-19-2023 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:16 PM
CharlesLS
Instructor

Can you confirm this is the same relay? My part numbers are different than yours. This was the relay directly next to the fuel pump relay, on the relay block behind the ignition switch. (relay block 1 in most schematics)

Old 06-21-2023, 12:46 PM
911Ragtop
Advanced

It's the right relay, it's the big double one and it's expensive ($250), so not one like some relays for $15 just buy a new one and see if it's the problem. So my idea is this. I took my brothers relay out of his 97' Boxster and put it in mine and the windows suddenly go all the way to the top (when the tops up.) So we are back to driving the boxster. But now my top doesn't go down! So this isn't a huge problem because he had problems getting his top down so we switched it to manual. But by deductive reasoning and nothing more, if I put his relay in and it fixes my window issue it's the relay. I'm glad you show the inside, it's a complicated relay with lots going on. My idea is for the early boxsters out there hitting 20 years old, there's a good chance that the relay is due for a replacement. How to test the relay to see if it's bad is another matter. So I'm going to buy a new relay and see if it resolves everything just haven't done that yet. But yes, that's not a normal or simple relay, a lot going on in there. Aside from the capacitors and resistors it looks like a few microchips too.
Old 06-21-2023, 12:49 PM
911Ragtop
Advanced

Yes, that's the right relay. Model number matches this.

Last edited by 911Ragtop; 06-21-2023 at 12:50 PM. Reason: fixed picture
CharlesLS (06-21-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 09:39 PM
911Ragtop
Advanced

Default No problem

Okay, I am the guy that has problems nobody knows how to answer, know why? Because normally I figure things out myself and don't need help but I need direction. So on my 2000 Boxster, if the relay is in, the top will go up and down, but the windows stop 2" from top, if I pull the relay out, the windows will go up all the way. So which one of the 3 top sensors do you think it is? Front, Clamshell, or the one behind the seat? Ideas?
Old 07-12-2023, 09:41 PM
911Ragtop
Advanced

Actually the relay had little to do with it, if you pull the relay the windows go up, so it doesn't matter and after I tried the other relay the top wouldn't go down.
Old 07-15-2023, 01:25 AM
CharlesLS
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Ragtop
Actually the relay had little to do with it, if you pull the relay the windows go up, so it doesn't matter [...]
... but the fact that inserting the relay causes the windows to suddenly not go up suggests this relay does have something to do with the problem. Another very interesting observation.

[...] after I tried the other relay the top wouldn't go down.
Now your top won't go down at all? Like... even with the first relay? If true, I'd say you blew a fuse and your brother's relay is junk.

In my case, using the key trick provided in post #4 only works up and until I start the car. After which, the windows spontaneously drop back down. I would prefer they stay up while driving, as it's noisy and it's usually raining when like this. So I need a real solution.

Eventually, I'm going to check the schematic and trace down the cause, but it's most likely post #2 that has the answer. One of the many switches that tells the electronics where the top is at and what it's doing is not working correctly.

(P.S. Sorry for participating in a necro thread.)
Old 07-15-2023, 03:43 AM
CharlesLS
Instructor

So, to conclude my interest in this thread, as well as assist future readers... I fixed mine! Windows go up now!

The problem turned out to be the micro switches in the light/IR security/latch located in front of the review mirror, as expected and suggested in post #2.

There are two switches in the assembly. One clicks almost as soon as the top hook touches. The other SHOULD click when the top hook is fully locked down. In my case, however, the second switch wasn't closing electrically (reading high resistance) when clicked, but also simply wasn't engaging well enough mechanically with the contactor.

I solved the first problem by disassembling the microswitch itself and cleaning the contacts. It's a Cherry brand over-center microswitch with a mushroom button... VERY tiny parts. I used tweezers and almost lost several pieces. I solved the second problem by de-soldering the switch slightly and increasing its standoff from what serves as the circuit board. This brought the switch closer to the cam for the top hook contactor, ensuring earlier activation.

... I do NOT recommend anyone do this unless you are quite aware of what you are getting yourself into. It involves servicing otherwise non-serviceable components, is somewhat technical, and probably isn't ever going to be as good as a new replacement. I don't expect my "repair" to last long.

Last edited by CharlesLS; 07-15-2023 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-08-2024, 10:34 AM
Joemo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its interesting seeing everyone mention something to the tune of "There are two microswitches located in the roof latch mechanism". However, based on my current vehicle (2001 boxster) and every photo of the internals to the roof latch all show 1 microswitch located in there. What year is your vehicle?
Old 02-06-2024, 06:53 PM
CharlesLS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joemo
Its interesting seeing everyone mention something to the tune of "There are two microswitches located in the roof latch mechanism". However, based on my current vehicle (2001 boxster) and every photo of the internals to the roof latch all show 1 microswitch located in there. What year is your vehicle?
Mine is a 1999. I do believe the 2001 and later are face-lifted from the 99. If you have fully clear front blinker lenses, then it's a face lift.

That being said, the microswitch is pretty well buried and hidden.

Quick Reply: Windows won't go all the way up when top is up.