Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 2007 Boxter S affected by the IMS Failure Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 02:16 PM
Paul Kaufman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 2007 Boxter S affected by the IMS Failure Problem?

My mechanic has invented a fix for the IMS problem and wants me to sign on for his fix.
If my Porsche is affected I see there are many fixes advertised on the internet. Which fix does Porsche endorse? Will Porsche help with the cost of the fix?
Should my next car be a Hyundai?
Old 07-26-2017, 02:35 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

M97 motor so it has an IMS and a ball bearing IMSB. Failure rates for the M97 appear to be quite low. Porsche does not agree there is any issue. See the class action suit which they had to pay out on but not for M97. If it were me I'd just drive and not worry. If you are going to track the car there are other potential problems (oil starvation) and the general recommendation is to buy a 09 or newer model which does not have an IMS in the valve train and has better oil scavenging. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:18 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In order to change the IMSB in a M97 the case needs to be split, which means disassembling the motor. It doesn't make financial sense to pay for that kind of labor for preventative maintenance.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:28 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd like to here more about what your mechanic has invented.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:51 PM
Paul Kaufman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all my Forum mates for the help and advice. I guess I will just drive and keep enjoying my 2007 Boxster S. My mechanic explained his fix to me but I don't really have the technical knowledge to understand it all. Basically, I think he wants to drill some passages so that the sealed bearing is constantly flooded with pressurized oil. I will keep reading this Forum for advice and experience from Porsche owners.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:54 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Every engine has weaknesses that are discovered long after the first 10k are produced.

The large single bearing in the car you describe has a well below 1% failure rate. That means about .1% chance of failure this next year. I'll wager there are other things that will more probably fail. Makes no sense to do anything to it beyond change the oil every 6 months or 5k miles.

I'd not want to be a test case for something that hasn't already been tested by being installed 1k times for years of real world driving.

If a Hyundai fits your needs, by all means buy one. Hardly the fun of a Boxster.

Quick Reply: Is 2007 Boxter S affected by the IMS Failure Problem?