Notices

Hankook R-S4

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:06 PM
LexK
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did two track events, finally got the tire as hot as it needs to be. Still of the same opinion. Fun and easy tire to drive on. Does not have the grip and response of the RE71r.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:31 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexK
Did two track events, finally got the tire as hot as it needs to be. Still of the same opinion. Fun and easy tire to drive on. Does not have the grip and response of the RE71r.
We all know what opinions are, mine included LOL
Old 05-23-2017, 04:20 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just did a weekend at the track.

My initial thoughts on the R-S4's were they had tons of grip
They do need to get warmed up and the first lap or so, they were so-so. Then all of a sudden like a switch was thrown, you get grip.

As it was a track I had never driven before, the first 2 sessions were learning the the track, the next 2 starting to push the car a bit and faster lap times

Put on a set of Re-71's for the last 2 sessions of the day and times improved. At that point, I was not sure if it was tires, or just pushing the car more and knowing the track better.

The next day, kept the Re-71's on for the first 2 sessions and then switched to the R-S4's for the next 2

I had big hopes for the R-S4's.
Unfortunately the Re-71's were faster, about 1-1.5 seconds.

Did my timed runs on Re-71's

Now the good news.
The R-S4's showed no appreciable signs of wear and they got a lot of laps as my son was also driving my car in another run group, so they got effectively over 200 miles on them.
They seem to wear like iron.

They did feel great, very predictable. Just a little slower than Re-71's.
I will do some further comparison in 2 weeks at another AX.
For the track, I think I will use the R-S4's for most of my practice sessions and then the Re-71's for the last 2 practice session and then timed runs

Quick Reply: Hankook R-S4