Notices

Ran my first autocross in my new to me 2014 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 04:16 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts
Default Ran my first autocross in my new to me 2014 C4S

I run in SCCA events, and this is my first one since getting my new car. My plan is to stay in SS. Only thing I've done to it so far is BMC air filters. I've got OZ wheels and RE71's ordered, but they haven't come in yet. Going to go to 19 inch wheels and 255's in the front and 305's in the rear. Only other thing I'm planning on doing is brake pads. Still trying to research what to go with. Figured I get the tires/pressures figured out first and then decide what direction I need to go with for pads. Anyway was on the stock Pirelli's, which have no grip on a very short course. Set FTD by 0.2 seconds but 3rd in pax by 0.6 seconds. Hoping the RE71's will narrow that pax gap for me. We will see. Fun car to autocross, did have to downshift to first a lot.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:26 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats! What tires were you on this weekend? RE-71R are a very quick tire and will certainly make a difference. Between that, getting used to the car, and a performance alignment, you'll be in a very good position!
Old 06-05-2017, 07:24 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Thank you. The OEM Pirelli's. Yeah my last car was an SM Audi S5, that I ran RE71's or Hoosiers, depending on the event. It was significantly faster, but not competitive on a national level in SM. I had already spent so much money on it, and didn't want to gut the car completely just for autocross. I decided it was time to go a different route, and most of my friends are in street class, so I wanted to go back to a street class and run with them. My wife made the demand that whatever I get have back seats and an automatic, so she could use it. Think I made the best choice with the constraints.

I definitely need to get a performances alignment as well. I wasn't sure how well this car would do, because the only time I see someone run them, you can tell they aren't really pushing it. I'm pretty optimistic that it did as well as it did on those crappy tires on such a small tight course. I'll have a better idea after the wheels and tires are on.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

The RE71 likes a heat cycle or two before they really come in, so have patience the first couple events with them.

My personal preference for AX is crappy brake pads as I'm pretty digital on the pedal. When I drive a car with grabby pads I throw away time upsetting the tires in the beginning of the braking event.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:23 AM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by burglar
The RE71 likes a heat cycle or two before they really come in, so have patience the first couple events with them.

My personal preference for AX is crappy brake pads as I'm pretty digital on the pedal. When I drive a car with grabby pads I throw away time upsetting the tires in the beginning of the braking event.
thanks, yeah I've run RE71s on my last car. Very familiar with them.

I like a little more initial bite on my brakes. I'm prpbably too smooth on the brakes.

Quick Reply: Ran my first autocross in my new to me 2014 C4S