Notices

Planning next years ASP build

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 04:09 PM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Planning next years ASP build

Planning next to move my Cayman R from A-Street to ASP and looking for some input on bushings.

Where I am at:
I just got a pair of JRZ RS Pros, Swift springs, Tarrett front camber plates and Stromki Racing rear mono-ball mounts. I grabbed a Tarret 22.2 rear bar which I plan to match with the corresponding Tarret 26.8 front bar; also planning on Tarret end links.
I plan to add Wevo trans mounts as well.

Question I have is regarding bushings through out the suspension. While I have everything torn out to do the coilovers, it would be a good time to convert to poly bushings. Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Any particular vendors I should look into?

Thanks,
DJM
Old 10-19-2015, 05:57 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help you on the bushings. On the Tarett end links I liked the ones that I put on the front of my car. I also bought the dust boots to keep dirt out of the joints.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by djm68
Planning next to move my Cayman R from A-Street to ASP and looking for some input on bushings.

Where I am at:
I just got a pair of JRZ RS Pros, Swift springs, Tarrett front camber plates and Stromki Racing rear mono-ball mounts. I grabbed a Tarret 22.2 rear bar which I plan to match with the corresponding Tarret 26.8 front bar; also planning on Tarret end links.
I plan to add Wevo trans mounts as well.

Question I have is regarding bushings through out the suspension. While I have everything torn out to do the coilovers, it would be a good time to convert to poly bushings. Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Any particular vendors I should look into?

Thanks,
DJM
You need to hook up with "XPC5", he has been running and developing a Cayman for a number of years in ASP.

Last edited by Earlydays; 10-19-2015 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-19-2015, 07:34 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Poly will tend to squeak and bind when the lube gets pushed out. I'd consider the elephant racing harder durometer inner bushings - oem usability. Front is more important for steering feel, stiff rear bushings may make the back end too twitchy. One thing I was warned from bgb, if you do rear bushings, keep them similar in the control arm and toe link. One stiffer than the other will cause bumpsteer issues as they deflect and shift differently. Solid toe link, and rubber control arm -> bad. BGB can make you some delrin ones too, but they are a wear item and develop slop/play over time.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:07 PM
djm68
Racer

Originally Posted by XPC5
Poly will tend to squeak and bind when the lube gets pushed out. I'd consider the elephant racing harder durometer inner bushings - oem usability. Front is more important for steering feel, stiff rear bushings may make the back end too twitchy. One thing I was warned from bgb, if you do rear bushings, keep them similar in the control arm and toe link. One stiffer than the other will cause bumpsteer issues as they deflect and shift differently. Solid toe link, and rubber control arm -> bad. BGB can make you some delrin ones too, but they are a wear item and develop slop/play over time.
Very much appreciate the advice, XPC5. I'll take a look at Elephant's product line.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 10-21-2015, 08:36 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Cayman R has a ton of resale value and building an ASP Cayman is going to require a lot of effort. Would it make more sense to buy XPC5's Cayman and sell your R?
Old 10-21-2015, 11:14 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You may want to check out Powergrid endlinks. I have them on the rear and plan on purchasing them for the front.
http://www.powergridinc.com/swaybar.asp
Old 10-21-2015, 02:39 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Cayman R has a ton of resale value and building an ASP Cayman is going to require a lot of effort. Would it make more sense to buy XPC5's Cayman and sell your R?
It's already sold (way faster that I thought it would). Delivering it to a new home next week.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

It's already sold (way faster that I thought it would). Delivering it to a new home next week.
What is your new car going to be?

Last edited by Earlydays; 10-21-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:46 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow, that WAS fast! Was an awesome car, though, I'm not surprised.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:45 PM
djm68
Racer

Originally Posted by sjfehr
As we've seen XPC5's Cayman is already sold, but you ask a fair question. I've been torn on the issue of modifying my R since, as you've pointed out, the resale value is rather high. Currently, I think it would fetch $60k. That said, this R is pretty special to me -- I ordered it myself exactly how I wanted it: no A/C, no radio, GT2 seats, PDK, PSE, 'Sport Software' added at the dealer vs. using Sport Chrono, so no dash wart. It is my first Porsche and I'm not really looking to sell it soon and while it does appear to be holding it's value well, I do not see the R being the next 2.7 RS.

Also, I actually do very little autox -- for the purposes of classing, my hillclimb club uses SCCA solo classing. So I am trying to build a good hillclimb car, within the confines of SCCA rules for SP.

I've already done quite a few mods, in a similar vein to XPC5:

BGB PDK trans cooler
Mantis Deep sump extension
RSS harness bar and Schroth harness
Tarrett Rear swaybar 22.2mm
Coilovers: Full JRZ RS Pro
GT3 brake master cylinder + steel lines
Front GT3 brake ducts
Pagid yellows
Bulletnose wheel studs

Remaining mods I am looking to perform:

Front swaybar
Swaybar endlinks
Wevo trans mounts
Light weight battery
Bushings?

That's *ehem* only about $2k of additional mods.

And of course there are wheel and tires, but I'd need tires no matter what class or car I am running.

I ready have fairly light seats -- the GT2 seat are 39ish lbs with the sliders hardware. The R's PDK already has an LSD, albeit no where near as effective as the Guard unit, but that mod will have to wait a bit. Likewise, I am not quite ready to dive into intake/headers/exhaust/tune...yet.

I suppose if I really wanted to help fund my build I could sell the GT2 seats and Spyder wheels -- that would generate about $10k, then I could go for the intake/headers/exhaust/tune!

Cheers,
DJM
Old 10-24-2015, 01:43 AM
Audii-Dudii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very much appreciate the advice, XPC5. I'll take a look at Elephant's product line.

Cheers,
DJM
I have a new and unused set of bushings from them that I'll happily sell ... drop me a note if you're interested.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:36 AM
djm68
Racer

Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii
I have a new and unused set of bushings from them that I'll happily sell ... drop me a note if you're interested.
PM sent.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:00 PM
djm68
Racer

Hi XPC5,

Another follow-up (I am just getting around to install the suspension, 2 moves and 2 jobs changes, life has been a bit crazy):

I am looking for a clarification on your comments on solid toe links and rubber bushings in the control arm. I will be using solid toe links (Tarett), but I currently have OEM LCAs and do not really plan on using GT3 style LCAs, at the moment. According to the input you received from BGB, I should replace the rubber inner LCA bushing with 'monoball bearing' bushing or a Delrin unit from BGB. Is that correct?

Also, what about bump steer compensation for the front end?

Thanks,
DJM
Old 06-04-2018, 05:52 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi XPC5,

Another follow-up (I am just getting around to install the suspension, 2 moves and 2 jobs changes, life has been a bit crazy):

I am looking for a clarification on your comments on solid toe links and rubber bushings in the control arm. I will be using solid toe links (Tarett), but I currently have OEM LCAs and do not really plan on using GT3 style LCAs, at the moment. According to the input you received from BGB, I should replace the rubber inner LCA bushing with 'monoball bearing' bushing or a Delrin unit from BGB. Is that correct?

Also, what about bump steer compensation for the front end?

Thanks,
DJM
You probably are already aware - but for clarity, none of those mods are ASP legal and would bump you to SSM. Allowing aftermarket rear toe links is currently being proposed (see June 2018 Fastrack) which would be a big help to my car as well but roll centre correction and monoballs definitely are not.
-Mark

Quick Reply: Planning next years ASP build