Notices

944 SCCA Stock/Street Class question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 05:17 PM
yorkee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 SCCA Stock/Street Class question

hi I am new to autocrossing. I am thinking about taking my 1984 944 to E Stock.

If my car equipped with 83 manual steering rack, will it bump me up?

If I upgraded the stock cookie cutter to fuchs, 15x7 and 15x8. Is it still legal?

Are M030 / M474 package eligible for stock class? I heard they are legal if swapping the whole package. However, from what I know 84 doesn't offer M030. Its only available 86 and up...

Thanks
Old 12-25-2013, 06:53 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless there is an allowance, your car needs to be in a "could have purchased it this way" state. There is an allowance on wheels, for Street you may go up or down 1" in diameter. No change from stock width. Currently there is a 1/4" allowance for offset, with a proposal to make that 7mm in 2015. I'm not sure if Stock adopted the up/down 1" in diameter provision.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:17 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjchristopher
I'm not sure if Stock adopted the up/down 1" in diameter provision.
Nope, just Street.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:56 PM
yorkee
Instructor

Originally Posted by kjchristopher
Unless there is an allowance, your car needs to be in a "could have purchased it this way" state.
Given that 944 could have purchased it with manual steering in 83, but couldn't in 84. Can I say.. I could have purchased the car this way in 83? Giving that I have all other legit options in 83 car...

I really prefer to run with manual steering instead of my leaking power steering, despite most people said that power is better for AX.

Also, I can find a list of options in 944online site, but where can I find which options is legit for certain year?

Thanks again.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:22 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Originally Posted by yorkee
Given that 944 could have purchased it with manual steering in 83, but couldn't in 84. Can I say.. I could have purchased the car this way in 83? Giving that I have all other legit options in 83 car...
Nope, sorry -- not allowed. Quoted from the rule book:

Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles
of a particular make and model, but only between configurations
from within a particular model year
. Such conversions must be totally
complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section.
(The bolding is mine.)

The reason for this is that allowing conversions across years would open up the possibility of "Frankencars" mixing the best pieces across years. This is legal at higher prep levels like Street Prepared, but not in Stock or Street.

Honestly, given that you're new, take your car as it sits today and just run it. It doesn't really matter which class you start out in. Once you get more experience under your belt you'll be in a better position to decide which car you want to run in which configuration -- for example, maybe you won't even want to run in Stock anymore.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:25 PM
yorkee
Instructor

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Nope, sorry -- not allowed. Quoted from the rule book:

(The bolding is mine.)

The reason for this is that allowing conversions across years would open up the possibility of "Frankencars" mixing the best pieces across years. This is legal at higher prep levels like Street Prepared, but not in Stock or Street.

Honestly, given that you're new, take your car as it sits today and just run it. It doesn't really matter which class you start out in. Once you get more experience under your belt you'll be in a better position to decide which car you want to run in which configuration -- for example, maybe you won't even want to run in Stock anymore.

I am totally with you on this. However there are parts already on the car where i have to swap out to qualify for street/stock class, and there are parts sitting in my garage i want to put on my car. Working on the car is part of my hobby and building the frenkincar is parr of my passion.

That said, i will try to stay within stock just because my newbieness...
Old 12-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yorkee
I am totally with you on this. However there are parts already on the car where i have to swap out to qualify for street/stock class, and there are parts sitting in my garage i want to put on my car. Working on the car is part of my hobby and building the frenkincar is parr of my passion.

That said, i will try to stay within stock just because my newbieness...
Your going to be slow, the reality is that it doesn't matter what class your running in at first. So just pick SP or the class that you would be legal in and just run there. Your not going to go out and win everything right away even if your in e-street, you just need to get as much seat time as you can. If you enjoy running you can work towards getting what you need to make your car more legal for the class you want to run.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

double post
Old 12-28-2013, 03:12 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Yeah, such is the hassle of running in Stock / Street class in an older car -- trying to make sure your car's legal.

Many regions also have a novice class where you can usually run pretty much anything you want -- if yours does, that's a place where you'd be able to run as-is without having to contend with fully prepped purpose-built cars.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:20 PM
msterling
Advanced

The course is the same for cars of all classes. As a novice you will not be competitive in ANY class. If you are in a SP class at least you will have a good excuse for scoring near the bottom. Just have fun and try to learn to get the most out of what you are driving. Being truly competitive can come later when you have some experience. I wouldn't knock myself out to fit in a certain class until I had my skills in order. I was into my third season of A/X before I felt like I was starting to be quick. Maybe some day I will be quick.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:42 PM
yorkee
Instructor

Thanks everyone. I will probably keep the car stock and run it as is. This and the cold winter this year give me enough excuse not to swap the leaky power steering out

I will probably need tire regardless but thats another story.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:13 PM
msterling
Advanced

If the car is NOT a daily driver then you could fit some pretty aggressive tires for not too much money. Cookies are either 15x6 or 15x7. BFG Rivals come in sizes that will fit (205/50-15 118.00 at TR). They will be smaller outside diameter which will lower the car and lower the gear ratios. Both changes are pluses for autocross. Bridgestone RE11a is another option. You can get 205/50-15 for 111.00ea from Tire Rack. I have been running 205/50-15 front and 225/45-15 rear Nitto NT-01 on 15x7 Cookies but they are no longer allowed on SCCA stock. I will be running Rivals this year.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:02 PM
allen_skillicorn
Instructor

You local PCA club might be an option too. I wouldn't worry too much about class. It takes even a good driver a season or so before he or she can be remotely competitive. Seat time is the biggest difference!

Quick Reply: 944 SCCA Stock/Street Class question