Notices

Police Stop Strip needles work FAST.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Police Stop Strip needles work FAST.

This happened at Devens last month and I was just thinking about it. The State Police and other police departments train at Devens. One area of the runway is used for stop strip deployment with orange baracades. Guessing they deploy blank strips at first but at the end of the day they use a real spiked strip. The needles are about 1/8 dia, hollow, and sharpened like a hypo needle. Also a magnetic grade of stainless steel. Just about the same color as the tarmac. The needles puncture the tire and easily pull out of the strip and stay in the tire. Not all stay in the tire as some just get flung off and never get picked up. It was raining and my front tire must have kicked one up and it hit my rear tire straight in about 3 inches from the edge. Hoosier 315/30 R18. It happened just as I came through the lights because that was when I heard the loud pulsing sound of the air coming out with tire rotation. Tire was completly flat 300 feet later. I could not even get a jack under my car until I rolled it so the hole was down and got enough air into it quickly enough to get the jack under. I used a sheet metal screw in the end and pulled it out. About 1.5" long. A few weeks later another driver got one and the needle went all the way inside his tire. I plugged it for him so he could get home. 2 weeks ago while seting the course we looked around where they practise and found 2 more needles laying on the tarmac. One was at the edge and the other in a crack.
I plugged the Ho Ho and got the last two events out of it with no problem. Just a heads up.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:45 AM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew there was a way to slow you down ....

Quick Reply: Police Stop Strip needles work FAST.