Notices

Need 17" tires Hankook RS3 or Toyo R1Rs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need 17" tires Hankook RS3 or Toyo R1Rs?

Both of these cost as near as makes no difference the same.
Both cost about the same number of points (treadwear 140)

I will need to use to drive 2 and from events so I can't go full slick

Any thoughts? preferences? experiences?

Hard to go wrong it appears...

My car is a stock 2004 996 40th Anniversary ed. I autocross about 6-10 times a year. I have been autocrossing (various cars) for about 3 years. I am not competitive in my class, but hope to be some day.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

I have not driven either, but both are well regarded in street tire AX classes.

You might have a read of this:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/hollis...45008598916447

Probably more than you want to know about street tires for AX, but there is some great stuff in there.

Brian
Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Litesonic
Pro

I appreciate it... The Kumho XS are just a bit cheaper. And "cost" the same in point deductions, so they too are an option.

FWIW they look like they might last just a bit longer as well... which is always a bonus
Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Well the XS are a special order... RS3 it is.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

RS3s are fantastic tires. I've done 7 events and they wear like iron and stick almost as well as my R-comps
Old 07-24-2012, 01:57 AM
gomarlins3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been on R-S3's all season and have done very well in CS. I have straight up beaten r-comp equipped cars in CS this year or been within 1 second of them at every event except one. During our 7th event of the year, the temps were high on course and i was having trouble with front traction in my '98 Boxster (OEM front tire size) in the afternoon. After the event I had the tires flipped (outside is now inside) and this past weekend with even hotter temps, did well again. I plan on replacing the tires after the season is over and will use these tires as extra street tires.

Yes, I drive to and from the events on the R-S3's.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Litesonic
Pro

great input all, thanks.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:14 PM
racer
Drifting

Sounds like limited choices actually made it an "easy" choice, eh? Same thing happened to me years ago.. when my choices were "yokes" or "khumos".
Old 07-25-2012, 01:32 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

I lurk over on the SCCA Forums and saw something regarding the Kooks that may be of interest.

SCCA has just decided that starting in 2013, the new Road Tire classes will require a TW rating of 180 or higher. That effectively bans the Kooks and the Toyo R1R from the Road Tire classes.

http://www.sccaforums.com/Forums/tab...s/Default.aspx

Note that this is relative to the new Road Tire classes not the Street Tire classes that have been in existence for many years.

Brian
Old 07-25-2012, 02:35 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to be aware of is that the R-S3s need to be hot to work well -- they're bad in cool weather and disastrously bad in cold weather. This may not bother you since you live in San Diego, but you should at least consider it. Dunlop Star Specs are far more tolerant of cool temperatures, and the R-S3s are not consistently faster than the Dunlops are...
Old 07-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Litesonic
Pro

again, good points all.

thanks!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by BGLeduc
I lurk over on the SCCA Forums and saw something regarding the Kooks that may be of interest.

SCCA has just decided that starting in 2013, the new Road Tire classes will require a TW rating of 180 or higher. That effectively bans the Kooks and the Toyo R1R from the Road Tire classes.

http://www.sccaforums.com/Forums/tab...s/Default.aspx

Note that this is relative to the new Road Tire classes not the Street Tire classes that have been in existence for many years.

Brian
Well.... I am sure next years versions will have a 180 TW rating.. Afterall, the TW is a somewhat subjective marking to begin with.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
Well.... I am sure next years versions will have a 180 TW rating.. Afterall, the TW is a somewhat subjective marking to begin with.
I take issue with your use of the word "somewhat". :-)

I once thought that TW was relevant within the same manufacturer, but now I even doubt that.

One interesting aspect of their going to 180 is that the N Spec Bridgestones that came stock on my Cayman S are 140. So, if someone shows up with a box stock Porsche wanting to run in the RT class will not be able to.

I don't have a dog in the fight, since I rarely run with SCCA and if I did, my AX "street" tires are the AD08's at 180, but it seems that the real goal was to kill the Toyo, and the Kooks were just collateral damage. I guess no one wanted to use the tire exclusion list for its intended purpose.

Brian

Last edited by BGLeduc; 07-27-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Litesonic
Both of these cost as near as makes no difference the same.
Both cost about the same number of points (treadwear 140)

I will need to use to drive 2 and from events so I can't go full slick

Any thoughts? preferences? experiences?

Hard to go wrong it appears...

My car is a stock 2004 996 40th Anniversary ed. I autocross about 6-10 times a year. I have been autocrossing (various cars) for about 3 years. I am not competitive in my class, but hope to be some day.
Why are you autocrossing a 996 40th on 17" wheels when it came with 18" stock? Does PCA improve your index if you downsize your wheels?

As others have mentioned, if you ever desire to autox with the SCCA in the RTR stock class, I'd avoid the toyo / hankook tires as they are now illegal.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Litesonic
Pro

I am not with the SCCA; the PCA is who I autocross with. In addition to treadwear, they add points on width. You get 205 /225 (430 total points) for free.. any width over that is classification impacting.

I switched to sticker, lighter tires that only "cost" a few more points than stock. So I stayed in my normal category.

I also get dinged for the LSD and horsepower bump, even though they are factory.

Although the 18s on the 40th AE are wicked light (for 18s). I have some lighter 17s and plus this gives me the flexibility to have my nice wheels for nice days and the other set for AX days. Plus, 17" based tires are almost always less expensive and lighter.

Quick Reply: Need 17" tires Hankook RS3 or Toyo R1Rs?