Notices

Autocrossing my Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocrossing my Turbo

Check this photo after cresting the hill at our autocross course!

I was surprised I was on 2 wheels!
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow...
...cool picture!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Thats awesome!!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That looks cool, but way too close to that light pole...
Old 08-02-2011, 01:33 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking the same thing.. SOOOOO Glad I AX at Fort Devens.. Nothing beats an open airfield..

Awesome shot non the less...
Old 08-02-2011, 02:40 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
That looks cool, but way too close to that light pole...
Originally Posted by levtron
I was thinking the same thing.. SOOOOO Glad I AX at Fort Devens.. Nothing beats an open airfield..

Awesome shot non the less...
Telephoto lenses do funny things to compress distances. That being said, as the autocross chairman for my region that does not look like a safe course design.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:51 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by porrsha
Telephoto lenses do funny things to compress distances. That being said, as the autocross chairman for my region that does not look like a safe course design.

Correct - the telephoto can have an effect of compressing the depth like that. The post is far away.

All our courses are well within all regulations of autocross. We have a very well run club that way. But yes, I can see now that it does look like I'm pole dodging there! haha. This car has some grip!, but there was also a hill. We have an interesting parking lot and we can set up off camber turns and stuff and hide cones behind hills. It's the nurburgring of autocross. haha. Not really.

Actually, if you want to see some great courses, have a look at our course maps and stuff here:

http://www.ssccracing.org/html/resul...ults/index.cfm

Glad people liked that shot. I guess I gotta thank the guy who took the photo - he's good!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

That's a one in a million shot right there! Awesome timing from the photographer

What caused you to go up on 2 wheels like that? It doesn't look like your front wheels are turned at all; was it just terrain on a straight portion of the course?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:33 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjfehr
That's a one in a million shot right there! Awesome timing from the photographer

What caused you to go up on 2 wheels like that? It doesn't look like your front wheels are turned at all; was it just terrain on a straight portion of the course?
It's all in the reflexes!

Haha,

I cannot say with any certainty - I must admit I do not know actually. But I have theories I'll share. Maybe some of my autocross buddies can give me answers next time we meet up. I'm sure we'll be talking about it.

I made this section of the course a right hand sweeper turn accelerating while cresting a fairly gentle but short hill slope ridge thing in the parking lot. It's a straight pretty much, but since the element before it is a hairpin turn, I was letting the car roll through the hairpin turn while getting early on the gas to the straight which I turned into an arc to get to this important indicator cone. Tight is right, but not when you have 500 HP sometimes. I marshalled the course from that pole and watched the various lines people took and taking it wide here was my choice.

I straightened out the wheel but am carrying a lot of momentum and am actually now starting to turn left for the indicator cone up there with the corvette marker.
I think I ended up being tight to that cone. The car can stick a turn. I think the grip was very good and the car had no place to go but up

I have some throttle through it all, and my 911 Turbo has powaa!

Still can't believe I own this awesome vehicle.

This photo must be from my fastest run. That's my story anyway.

Hero for a day in autocross - Excellent! Got FTD to boot!

Thank You Playstation! haha.

Quick Reply: Autocrossing my Turbo