SCCA STR Class for BoxsterS

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Slightly off topic, but, would like to start autocrossing with SCCA this year. Is there a favorite car to have in super stock? Have a 2010 GT3. So far, have just been autocrossing with PCA.

thanks!
The 2010/2011 GT3 is among the top cars for the class.

Top cars: 997.2 GT3, C5Z06, C6GS, C6Z06, Elise, 996 GT3, Viper.

The class has a nice variety of competitive cars, Typically top talent prevails over car choice in this class.

If I were to choose a SS car, it would be the 997.2 GT3. The carbon seats are comfortable for AutoX.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
You can think whatever you want. I have all of the STR legal mods on my car.

Some of the items you assert involve updating and backdating of parts, removal of radio, etc. which are only legal in SP and not in ST classes. I could easily loose another 200 lb in going to a full SP level prep, with no radio, no AC, no carpets, no top retract mechanism, etc., but my wife would never ride in it again, and I wouldn't enjoy it much either.

That part about gearing is totally off. The 986 base model has some really good gear ratos for autocross, but my 986S has the same gearing as a 996 which is way too tall for this engine, and is a significant handicap in autocross competition. It is nice on a real race track though. The 986S gearbox would be good to backdate to a 986 for solo, but my reading of the rules is this would only be possible in SP prep, and not ST.

Other than changing to lighter seats there is nothing else that could be done to my car in ST trim.
You're right about radio and door panels, but even with these 15 lbs staying in the Boxster, the 2.5 and 2.7 get under 2,600 lbs.

There are three different gear sets in the 986 Boxster: 97-99 2.5L, 00-04 2.7L, 00-04 3.2L.

The early Boxster has the shortest gearing, high 50s mph in 2nd gear. The 2.7L has the ideal setting, mid 60s mph in 2nd gear. The 3.2 has the worse gearing with 2nd gear speeds in the mid 70s mph in 2nd gear.

Gearing is one of the reason a 2.7L can run about the same autoX lap times than a 3.2L in the 986 series.

I don't think the 3.2 Boxster would make it to STR, if the 2.5 and 2.7 are not allowed either.

Unfortunately, a 3.2 Boxster doesn't have a SCCA class where it can run near the top.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Any one here going to the Parade this year? Apparently the autocross is taking place at an airport with enough room/speed for 3rd gear.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:50 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I don't think the 3.2 Boxster would make it to STR, if the 2.5 and 2.7 are not allowed either.

Unfortunately, a 3.2 Boxster doesn't have a SCCA class where it can run near the top.
Yeah I figured this out the hard way. Nobody to run against locally in ASP, and I don't care for the PAX system in general, but I do usually take FTD at PCA events, and still have a decent street car...
Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Remember the proposal that Boxster/S be classed in STU?
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...%20Minutes.pdf
Originally Posted by SCCA SEB
NOT RECOMMENDED

#9146 Boxster(s) Classing Proposal
The STAC believes that these cars are not within the performance parameters of the existing ST classes. The expected demand for these vehicles does not warrant the risk of upsetting the current competitive balance in the classes.
Well that just sucks.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:16 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

On the bright side they may be more competitive in "street" than they were in "stock."
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 AM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Meanwhile, proposal for non-Z06 C5 Corvette (among others) to STU because:

"The C5 Corvette may appear out of place at first glance, but the STAC has done extensive analysis and does not believe it to have a competitive advantage due to its poor gearing. The C5 Corvette puts far less power to the ground at typical autocross speeds than other vehicles in STU. Further, the C5 is a very inexpensive car and the ST allowances provide the ability to correct its poor seating and create a competitive, fun, dual purpose vehicle."

Old 08-03-2013, 12:18 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToSi
Meanwhile, proposal for non-Z06 C5 Corvette (among others) to STU because:

"The C5 Corvette may appear out of place at first glance, but the STAC has done extensive analysis and does not believe it to have a competitive advantage due to its poor gearing. The C5 Corvette puts far less power to the ground at typical autocross speeds than other vehicles in STU. Further, the C5 is a very inexpensive car and the ST allowances provide the ability to correct its poor seating and create a competitive, fun, dual purpose vehicle."

What part are you rolling your eyes at?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:11 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

The part where SEB says Boxster is "not within the performance parameters of the existing ST classes", and then a month later classes C5 in STU.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:21 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

"The 986 Boxster may appear out of place at first glance, but the STAC has done extensive analysis and does not believe it to have a competitive advantage due to its lack of power. The 986 Boxster puts far less power to the ground at typical autocross speeds than other vehicles in STU. Further, the 986 Boxster is a very inexpensive car and the ST allowances provide the ability to correct its inherent understeer and create a competitive, fun, dual purpose vehicle."

or, less sarcastically:

How can an SSP / AS car be recommended for STU but a CS / stretch-ASP car is not on the grounds that it would 'upset the competitive balance' within ST??
Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 AM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ToSi
"The 986 Boxster may appear out of place at first glance, but the STAC has done extensive analysis and does not believe it to have a competitive advantage due to its lack of power. The 986 Boxster puts far less power to the ground at typical autocross speeds than other vehicles in STU. Further, the 986 Boxster is a very inexpensive car and the ST allowances provide the ability to correct its inherent understeer and create a competitive, fun, dual purpose vehicle."

or, less sarcastically:

How can an SSP / AS car be recommended for STU but a CS / stretch-ASP car is not on the grounds that it would 'upset the competitive balance' within ST??
Yes, it is amazing how prejudice the SCCA solo czars can be.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:28 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I hear that this is on their wall.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The 2010/2011 GT3 is among the top cars for the class.

Top cars: 997.2 GT3, C5Z06, C6GS, C6Z06, Elise, 996 GT3, Viper.

The class has a nice variety of competitive cars, Typically top talent prevails over car choice in this class.

If I were to choose a SS car, it would be the 997.2 GT3. The carbon seats are comfortable for AutoX.
What about the 996 GT3? I understand you can put 285's up front, which I don't think can be done on a 997 GT3. Unless work gets in the way, I'm taking my 997.1 GT3 to Nationals to run in RTR. I haven't autocrossed much lately, but I think the car is capable despite the high PAX.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjfehr
The part where SEB says Boxster is "not within the performance parameters of the existing ST classes", and then a month later classes C5 in STU.
You are far underestimating the capabilities of a properly prepped Boxster in the hands of a proper driver. And while the C5 will probably be popular, there is another car on the list that is more capable.

I would build a 2.5 in a heartbeat if it were allowed.

That said, the P-car owners blew it. We asked for support. Y'all had the biggest P-car supporter in a long time (probably ever) on the STAC. We went to the forums and begged. And we got squat for our request. Why would I stick my neck out for the few people who bothered to write in?

At least this way we have primed the pump for more changes in the future.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:04 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

ST classes run on street tires. A Corvette on street tires is a moving chicane. A Boxster/Cayman on the other end lose very little on street tires.

I ran two ProSolo events with a bone stock Cayman in A-Stock. For lack of time, I could not switch to my race tires, so I had to run the first round on street tires. My race tires, A6 were mounted on 18x8 and 18x9 super light wheels and 285/30R18 for perfect gearing. My street tires, RE11 on 19x8 and 19x8.5 heavy stock wheels and tall/narrow 235/35 and 265/35. The difference was so small that I almost raw timed the F-Stock front runner and he was on full-prep.

If it wasn't because the S2000CR is going to A-Stock, the Cayman/Boxster would own the class like never before (A-Street). B-Street is going to have a good show with the Cayman/Boxster on street tires. Super-Street will be an eye opener when the Boxster Spyder and Cayman R start beating everything in class including any flavor of GT3.

A Corvette on street tires loses a lot, a Boxster/Cayman loses a little. Tested, proven.

I ran my 996GT3 and 997RS on street tires and A6 at too many events, and learned of the performance difference, several seconds. In my Cayman, so small that I don't bother on buying A6 anymore for it to have fun at local events. Fun stuff, the Cayman on street tires beats the Fiat by a huge margin, then both on race tires, and the Cayman is nowhere near in performance.

Quick Reply: SCCA STR Class for BoxsterS