Notices

SCCA STR Class for BoxsterS

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:54 AM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default SCCA STR Class for BoxsterS

In a very recent proposed rules change by the SCCA, the BoxsterS would be allowed in the STR street tire class as a 2 seat sports car under 3.2 litres not otherwise classified. However, the SCCA is noted for making exclusion lists of particular cars that they fear will dominate - especially against German cars, and one of the SCCA Solo Events Board (SEB) memebers has publicly stated that this rules change should be considered a mistake.

So, now is the time to fight for it if you think the BoxsterS should be allowed to compete. Please submit letters, or just brief text messages to the SEB at:

http://www.sebscca.com/

The following is the text from my letter:

SEB Members:

The most recently proposed STR classification rules would now allow the Porsche Boxster Type 986S model to compete as a two seat sports car under 3.2 liters not otherwise classified.

I am very glad to see that the SEB has made this allowance, and I believe that inclusion of this vehicle will make the already successful STR class even more competitive and interesting.

In a recent May 2011 road test of roadsters priced at under about $15,000, Grass Roots Motorsports (GRM) magazine compared the BoxsterS with a Mazda Miata, BMW Z3, and a Honda S2000 – all cars that are currently allowed in the STR class. This test was conducted on a go-kart track that is similar to a fast autocross course. The S2000 placed first in this test with the BoxsterS placing second about 0.7 seconds behind on a 30+ second course with both cars on similar tires with similar levels of preparation.

The GRM test matches well with my experience, as my BoxsterS with STR legal tires and no other modifications is about 2 seconds off the pace on a 60 second course. Based on my experience, and other test data from GRM, the modifications allowed in STR should come close to closing this gap such that the BoxsterS should become competitive in the STR class, but will certainly not dominate.

As noted in the GRM test, the BoxsterS is a fairly heavy car at about 300lb over a S2000, and almost 700 lb over a Miata. The BoxsterS is also crippled by very tall gearing that cannot be corrected under the STR rules.

Thank you for proposing to make the STR class more inclusive, and I hope that this proposed rule change will be finally promulgated as proposed without any exclusions.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:45 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I wrote my letter, too!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Auto-X-er
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't realize the Boxster wasn't in STR. At least the non S ones would seem to be a no brainer. They definitely wouldn't shake up the competition, but any of the boxster S might just be a bit too much for whats there. The non S cayman might as well be allowed too for that matter.

Too often the lighter cars end up doing well in ST classes were you are tire limited so I'm not sure any of them would end up doing that well.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

I run STR in an S2000 and I can almost guarantee that a 986S will not be allowed, the car is too good. My vote would go to include the non-S (2.5 and 2.7)
Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Why would the 986S be too fast for STR if the S2000 is such a faster car in BS?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Auto-X-er
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Why would the 986S be too fast for STR if the S2000 is such a faster car in BS?
Risk would be that the LSD would really change the car. There was no LSD optional on any allowed in BS right? The 986S definitely has better power to weight.

The only thing that is going to hold it back is having to run on the 255 minimum width might just not be enough tire to make good use of the power.

Even being a slight risk I don't think the SCCA is going to want to allow a car that would end up being much more expensive to run dominate their classes that were intended to attract younger drivers.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

As Auto-X said the Boxster has a better power to weight ratio, on STR trim you could put a 986S on a diet + some really good suspension + exhaust and other suporting mods and make it a beast, the S2000 is already the most powerfull car in STR and some already think that is too good to be in that class, a 986S would be totally unfair for people with miatas, etc.
Dont get me wrong I would love to see more P-cars being competitive at SCCA events, I might even consider getting a 986 2.7 for next year if they allow it on STR
Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Boxster already has electronic LSD that accomplishes the exact same transfer of force to the wheel that's gripping. The weight on the rear really helps minimize this. I just don't see mechanical LSD making that big of a difference over what it has now. HP gains are supposedly minimal with the small types of mods allowed in ST, too. I'd think the biggest gains would be from more front camber.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:57 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto-X-er
Even being a slight risk I don't think the SCCA is going to want to allow a car that would end up being much more expensive to run dominate their classes that were intended to attract younger drivers.
You have captured the essence of the SCCA paranoia with putting "expensive" German cars in competetive classes, and you may be right. But I hope we have the chance to compete on equal footing. Please write in to the SEB and push our point.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 AM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, with the right LSD, it would make an amazing difference.

(On another note, someone please tell me how to quote on this forum.)
Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by kjchristopher
(On another note, someone please tell me how to quote on this forum.)
Click on the button on the lower-right of the post you want to quote that looks like two quotation marks:
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Boxster already has electronic LSD that accomplishes the exact same transfer of force to the wheel that's gripping.
I beg to differ; ABD is much, much less effective than a mechanical LSD.

Also, the Boxster's mid-engined, which would allow it to put power down on skinny street tires much better than the front-engined S2000.

The base Boxster would be a reasonable (and possibly class-leading) car for STR; the Boxster S would destroy the class.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:55 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
Grass Roots Motorsports (GRM) magazine compared the BoxsterS with a Mazda Miata, BMW Z3, and a Honda S2000 – all cars that are currently allowed in the STR class. This test was conducted on a go-kart track that is similar to a fast autocross course. The S2000 placed first in this test with the BoxsterS placing second about 0.7 seconds behind on a 30+ second course with both cars on similar tires with similar levels of preparation.

The GRM test matches well with my experience, as my BoxsterS with STR legal tires and no other modifications is about 2 seconds off the pace on a 60 second course.
I would omit these sections from any letter to the SEB, as they'll hurt your cause more than help it. The GRM test compared near-stock cars, and thus its results had essentially no relevance to STR. Also, the SEB will not place any weight on your "2 seconds off the pace" comment since they don't know how good you are, they don't know how good your competition is, they don't know what or how well prepped your benchmark car is, and they don't know whether your local courses resemble national-level courses. For all of those reasons, your comment doesn't actually give them any data on how fast the Boxster S is.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 83 Posts

Isnt STR tire width limited? Thought you could only go as wide as 245? Maybe I'm mistaken but thats one issue that I see with the class as Boxster is heavier and needs a little more tire than some of the cars in that class. I agree that Boxster S would be tougher competitor in this class as the car could have some of its stock weaknesses addressed. Camber being one but having suspension setup options related to spring rates and sways makes a big difference on this car as well, and anyone who has Ax's a Boxster with a proper LSD will tell you they make a huge difference.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:51 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

STR is limited to 255mm and up to 9" wide wheels on 2WD cars, so Boxster would be fine.

I'd really love to run my Boxster S in STR

Quick Reply: SCCA STR Class for BoxsterS