Need a FAST stock tire for Auto-X

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 PM
JPs924S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Size?

Originally Posted by Mmagus
I am in a MUCH different car (87 924S) so this may not apply. However I have been very happy with the performane of my Toyo R1R's. 140 TW keeps me in GSS (stock) class.
What size, and what wheels are you running on your 924S?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 AM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

From my research, it seems that if you want the ultimate in non R-comp tire performance with any car over about 2700 lb, you really need two sets of auto-x tires: R1R's for ambient temps under about 80F, and StarSpec or AD08's for temperatures above that. If mostly above 95 F, the AD08 is by far the most heat tolerant, but won't work very well at all in low temperatures. The StarSpec is probably the best compromise if you can only have one set of auto-x tires. Just don't shave them too low or you can get into a differnt inner tire compond that can start to delaminate.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:19 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on my experience in SCCA STX (RX8 nationally prepped), Hankook's RS3 will outperform the Dunlops and Yoks in the dry and are EXTREMELY heat resistant. And while I agree that the Toyo is great on light cars or in cooler temps, I wasn't quicker with them in back to back testing on the RX8. Given the wear rates, I gave the nod to Hankook, which will give you 2-3 times the runs.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:59 AM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

You're right - the 'kook's are very good from what I have seen, but they haven't been available in the tire size I need, so I tended to forget about them. Sorry to overlook them - they should be a top choice if available in the size you need.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:33 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kjchristopher
Based on my experience in SCCA STX (RX8 nationally prepped), Hankook's RS3 will outperform the Dunlops and Yoks in the dry and are EXTREMELY heat resistant. And while I agree that the Toyo is great on light cars or in cooler temps, I wasn't quicker with them in back to back testing on the RX8. Given the wear rates, I gave the nod to Hankook, which will give you 2-3 times the runs.
How course dependent has this been? The Kumho vs Dunlop tests were all evenly split, with either car dominating depending on the course and the temperature. (And probably tire pressure adjustments and camber/toe as well- long a pet peeve I have regarding tire tests.)

I'd really love to see some actual formal testing of the RS-3. Anecdotes like your has been mostly positive, but I've heard criticisms of poor 1st runs and poor cold weather daily-driver performance, bordering on dangerous (though still far better than Kumho XS). Was interesting to see how it played out at SCCA Nats last year:

ST: Toyo dominated. Spattering of Hankook and Bridgestone on the podium.
STS: 50/50 Toyo/Hankook, more or less
STX: Virtually all mfgs represented on the podium, but Hankook showed very well. Congrats on your trophy, btw!
STU: Dunlop dominated, with a handful of Yoko and Bridgestone in there, too.
STR: more people brought Hankooks than Toyos or Dunlops, but the distribution throughout the field was roughly equal.

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...Sept-7-10-2010
Originally Posted by Suprajayaz
The ProSolo was tough for Larry and me since we could not lauch the car [Mazda MX5] well because the cold Hankooks would spin what seemed like 1/2 way down the start - (with a little MX5 motor ?). The Toyo R1R's on Henry's MX5 hooked up like a drag radial. Henry Bjoin was in front of me on many starts and that car lauched well. I ran on cold RS3's each session and fought the effects of low grip for 2 days. Note to self - run Toyo's or Dunlop Star Specs next time. Ken Motonishi killed the pack by 1.621s and 2nd was the TireRack/Grassroots Motorsports 2010 MX5 of John Rogers. I have run againsted Ken and Henry in SoCal National Tours/ProSolos earlier this year.
Jay and his co-driver reported much better performance a few days later at nats when he thermal wrapped them to keep the heat in- enough for Jay to finish 4th of 51 in STR.

Another of his observations from nats:
Originally Posted by Suprajayaz
It was funny - Kook tired cars all wrapped up trying to hold heat while Toyo shod cars were spraying them with water.

Last edited by sjfehr; 02-27-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:53 AM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
How course dependent has this been? The Kumho vs Dunlop tests were all evenly split, with either car dominating depending on the course and the temperature. (And probably tire pressure adjustments and camber/toe as well- long a pet peeve I have regarding tire tests.)

I'd really love to see some actual formal testing of the RS-3. Anecdotes like your has been mostly positive, but I've heard criticisms of poor 1st runs and poor cold weather daily-driver performance, bordering on dangerous (though still far better than Kumho XS). Was interesting to see how it played out at SCCA Nats last year:

ST: Toyo dominated. Spattering of Hankook and Bridgestone on the podium.
STS: 50/50 Toyo/Hankook, more or less
STX: Virtually all mfgs represented on the podium, but Hankook showed very well
STU: Dunlop dominated, with a handful of Yoko and Bridgestone in there, too.
STR: more people brought Hankooks than Dunlops, but the distribution throughout the field was roughly equal.

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...Sept-7-10-2010

Another of his observations from nats:
" It was funny - Kook tired cars all wrapped up trying to hold heat while Toyo shod cars were spraying them with water."
I did my testing on one course, so not really sure. I don't expect it to be. I went from Dunlops to Hankooks and the difference was amazing. I would only pick Dunlops if I routinely ran in we weather. Being in SoCal, it doesn't happen all that much.

First runs - I think it is driver dependent. I'm a pretty smooth driver, so while I can feel a difference in first part of the first run, it isn't that bad. I certainly don't consider it a 'throw-away' run as others have said. Here are my day two runs (east course) from 2010 nationals: 63.31 63.303 63.857
(day one: 63.916 63.261 63.063 west course. I ended up 5th of 54, beaten by two ST civics and a two driver BMW.)

As a side note, I brought a set of full tread Toyos to nationals to use as rain tires. Given the temps, I was very tempted to put them on anyway, but ultimately chose not to. I do not regret that choice.

I'll be putting a set of kooks on my 996 within a few weeks (245/285-18). I sold the RX8 above and now race an A mod car for SCCA stuff.

Oh yeah - looking at your class listing. The general consensus is that the Toyo's overheat on heavy cars. (That said, there is an STU BMW in my region not having a problem.) That is why you see them on the lighter (ST) cars more than the others. Long courses also have an impact. One of our courses was 120 seconds long for the ST classes. The Toyo's were overheating by the last third of the run.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:13 PM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind that SCCA results are skewed because some tire companies offer contingency money and lots of top drivers will go with a slightly slower tire if they can get their autox tire budget paid for by it.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

There were no contingencies offerered for Hankook RS-3 or Dunlop Star Spec at 2010 Nats. Toyo, Bridgestone, Yokohama, Kumho and Hoosier all offered contingencies.

Hankook, oddly, only offered contingency for Z214s run in AS, which seems awfully narrow. Almost like they wanted the publicity without the risk of actually having to pay out...

All those people running Kooks and Dunlops did so despite no potential gains.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what about the Sum HTZ r III ? as a DD+ Autocross?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by levtron
what about the Sum HTZ r III ? as a DD+ Autocross?
Not if you want to win. They are a good tire, just not a good track tire. I ran them my first season, great wear, quiet, & SUPER cheap. But not "fast"

FWIW, I found a local set of NB turbo twist wheels that needed new rubber. Went with a set of Yoko AD08's in 225/265 18.

Frist event I got top time of the day for every run (wet track that started to dry) finally got caught by a 996 C4S .3sec to lose top time.

Very happy with my choice, & WAY, WAY better then what I had.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

as usual, read this thread.
http://www.autocross.us/forums/index...&mode=threaded

I got for myself star specs for street and as rain DE/AX tires, imho they are still the best out there.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
as usual, read this thread.
http://www.autocross.us/forums/index...&mode=threaded

I got for myself star specs for street and as rain DE/AX tires, imho they are still the best out there.
From all the test, the AD08 was slightly better then the Star Spec. For the price the Star Spec seems hard to beat.

I can't wait to see what my car can do when the sun comes out & we have temps over 50deg.

Quick Reply: Need a FAST stock tire for Auto-X