Notices

Porsche-Corvette autocross challenge in PA

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:24 PM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche-Corvette autocross challenge in PA

Central PA PCA in conjunction with Cumberland Valley Corvette Club is holding a Porsche-Corvette challenge autocross on Sunday October 17th on the large lot at Hershey Park in Hershey PA. We need more fast Porsches and fast Porsche drivers to beat up on those 'vettes. For details please contact me - alanpozner@gmail.com. Online registration will be open shortly at http://www.cpa-pca.org/events/2010/1...oss/index.html
Old 07-23-2010, 05:06 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need a few hired guns, perhaps you shouldn't have offered your home to the "enemy" If only it weren't 2 hours to Hershey

What classing will you be using - ie, how do you fairly compare a stock SC to a Z06? Any indexing?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

I might attend this event, I am also curious about how will the Vettes be classed against the P-cars
Old 08-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by 00r101
Central PA PCA in conjunction with Cumberland Valley Corvette Club is holding a Porsche-Corvette challenge autocross on Sunday October 17th on the large lot at Hershey Park in Hershey PA. We need more fast Porsches and fast Porsche drivers to beat up on those 'vettes. For details please contact me - alanpozner@gmail.com. Online registration will be open shortly at http://www.cpa-pca.org/events/2010/1...oss/index.html
Too bad I'm running both days that weekend. I've beaten up on a Vett or 3 up here at Devens.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have run with the Central PA group several times, i can tell you it is worth the drive, great group to run with and the venue is awesome!!!

Greg if you go let me know and I can follow you up there

Racer - I know you are good you should come! its not much farther than summit point is it?

OOR101 - you should post on Dorki and let the chesapeake region PCA guys know, many are from northern baltimore and they have some fast drivers (unlike myself). It may be a bit far for the Potomac guys but, they also have some really fast guys too.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:35 PM
racer
Drifting

Hey Chris.. thanks.. SP is about 50 miles, or about 1hour to get to for me (I am out near Dulles Airport). Harrisburg PA (close to hershy as i can think of) is 2hours and its up rt15/581, which I have despised for 20 years

On the plus side I have heard it said by some old NNJR friends that the lot is awesome (this goes back about 5-7 years), but I hope its in good shape.

Also on the plus side is its a Sunday... saturdays for me are filled with kid activities..

Like I said, it is tempting!

That said... how does an E-Stock 944 compare against a Z06..
Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Fprodget
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The lot we use at Hershey is in very good condition...fairly new and very smooth.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 PM
00r101
Racer

Answering a bunch of questions:
1) Classing for the challenge is - none but street tire cars (treadwear 140+) will be given a time deduction (to be determined but probably 1-1.5 seconds).
2) The lot is fairly grippy macadam. It has some undulations in some spots but is probably the best lot in 100 miles. Course area is about 700' x 650'.
3) Pardon my ignorance but what is DORKI? Could not find a working link on google when I searched Dorki porsche.
4) E Stock 944 will probably have a tough time against Z06 but I will be designing the course to be as Porsche friendly as possible. That means no long straights after slow turns, lots of slaloms, and big fast sweepers. If you are a fast ES 944 driver we can use your help.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 PM
00r101
Racer

Here are the rules. The only change we might see is an allowance for street tires.

Porsche-Corvette Challenge

Event is open to all Porsches and Corvettes. The event will be held rain or shine.
Cars must meet all safety requirements. Cars may be modified but must have begun
life as a Porsche or Corvette street car and must contain an engine block from a
Porsche or Corvette street car. Cars must have 4 fenders. Any tire may be used
including race tires or race rain tires.

The event will be divided into two portions: qualifying and the challenge.
Both qualifying and challenge will be conducted on the same autocross course.

Qualifying consists of a regular autocross.
Competitors will be assigned car numbers beginning with #1.
No more than two competitors can drive a car and one must take an odd number
and the other an even number. At drivers meeting a coin will be flipped to
determine if odd or even numbered cars run first or work first.
Competitors will be given a minimum of 3 qualifying runs (we will try to
give many more but it depends on the number of entrants we have and other circumstances).

After all cars have received their qualifying runs, the top 10 cars of each marque
will be announced and will be asked to participate in the challenge round.
If a competitor does not wish or cannot join the challenge in the car they competed in
the next fastest car of that marque will be asked to participate. Once all ten slots for
each marque have been determined, cars will be gridded with the slowest Corvette up first
followed by the slowest Porsche, then the next slowest Porsche, then the next slowest
Corvette, etc. No driver or car substitutions are allowed. If a driver or his car is not
able to compete another competitor shall be asked to join the challenge.

Each car in the challenge grid will be given 1 run. Upright cones knocked down or
fully out of their box will add two seconds to the time. Pointer cones do not count.
If a car runs off course or fails to complete the course it will be marked as a DNF
(see below for DNF scoring).

If a car is red flagged or there is a timing problem or the driver
stopped on course for a cone that was not correctly in position, a
rerun will be awarded. That rerun will be taken no sooner than 5 minutes
and no later than 10 minutes after the car returns to grid.

Once all 20 cars have completed the challenge round the times will be posted
and the team scores will be tallied. The tally works as follows:
For each team, cars are put in order from fastest to slowest. Any DNF goes to the
bottom of the list. If there is more than one DNF on a team all but one will be
awarded a time equal to the slowest non-DNF time for either team plus 5 seconds.
Then the slowest time and the fastest time for each team will be dropped.
The remaining 8 times for each team will be added up and the team with the
lowest total time will be awarded the Porsche-Corvette Challenge Trophy.

In the event of any disagreement about the scoring or the conduct of the event
One representative of each marque will hold a brief hearing to gather facts
and then discuss the matter privately and come to an amicable resolution.
This is, afterall, just for fun.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 PM
racer
Drifting

Dorki = www.dorkiphus.net a local washington DC Porsche board, with most participants living between Baltimore to Richmond (N/S) and the Eastern Shore to Winchester,VA (E/W)

Fast? well, Flat out is how I drive
Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 AM
00r101
Racer

Flat out is what we are looking for. Come on up!

I have signed up for Dorkiphus and will post there when I get in. Which forum topic should I post under? Track Talk or Upcoming Events?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Chris
I will definitely come, my brother will be co-driving the TT since the S2K is not allowed. I will send you an email during the week of the event so we can meet somewhere and drive up there. If anyone else is driving up there from Baltimore or taking 83N let us know, we could all drive up there as a group.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:18 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Greg - Perfect!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:34 PM
00r101
Racer

Guys,

You can preregister for the event by going to http://cpa-pca.org/index6.html# and clicking the scroll Down link until you see the Combo Box and Buy Now button.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:50 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

It wont let me pre-register, it asks you to pay (register). At this point I am not 100% sure if I will make it, my car is in the hospital

Quick Reply: Porsche-Corvette autocross challenge in PA