Notices

Best practice tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Best practice tires?

I want to keep my 18" rims set with Hoosiers A6 for NER club races only (as I do not want to buy a new set of them for this season) and wonder what to do with my 19" set.

Right now it got PS2 N1 on them that I still cannot get rid of , so, as I will be driving 40 miles from house to Devens I wonder - what r-comps will handle it best? Hoosiers do get plenty of damage from this and it bothers me a lot, but, I do not have a trailer and it will not going to change. So I will have to use them less.

Essentially looking at options I see only 2 - Kumho V710 or Toyo R888.
Toyo is probably more 'universal' choice - almost a street tire, but how much will I actually loose time wise compared to proper sliks like Kumhos?

Have anyone here compared v710 to R888? Are they in same league?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't want to drive to events on V710s. They're pretty durable for an R-compound and will hold up fine, but if it starts to rain you're in serious trouble.

The R888s are nowhere near as fast as A6s or V710s, but they're much more streetable, so it sounds like they may be a good match for what you're looking for.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:02 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I can't give any first-hand accounts, but V710s are generally regarded to be slightly slower than Hoosiers (I've heard numbers around 0.3s slower on a 60 second course), but last WAY longer and are pretty good speed-for-your-buck. Be careful about round/square shoulder when you go to buy, though.

I'm facing the same transportation issue, as we very frequently have wet weather here and I don't have a trailer. For the time being, I'm sticking to street tires, but do plan on eventually mounting R-comps. For local events, I'll probably have my wife (also my codriver) follow in her SUV; for longer haul events, I'm hoping to bum a ride for my tires on a friend's trailer, as our club is almost always well represented at larger regional and national events. Might you be able to do the same for Devens? Couple cases of beer can go a long way

Last edited by sjfehr; 05-17-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

You can give the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups a try. They are a good R comp tire and can be driven on the street.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I can't give any first-hand accounts, but V710s are generally regarded to be slightly slower than Hoosiers (I've heard numbers around 0.3s slower on a 60 second course)
+1 on what he said. R888's are a good tire, but not in the league of 710's or A6's with regards to pure grip. Years ago when Kuhmo had contingencies, you saw about 1/2 the grid at top events on 710's, about 1/2 on A6's. Typically the A6 cars were quicker, but not by much - a good 710 driver could easily make up the difference. Now that Kuhmo's dropped their contingency though, nobody runs them past the local level. The Kuhmos do seem to last longer though (not so much in treadwear, but in useable life from heat cycling).

If you don't need pure performance, and do plan on driving on the street (much at all) - I'd go for the R888's though. You're probably only giving up ~1s on a 60s course, but you'll get 10x the usable life out of the tire. They're also probably "the" tire to have in light rain (the gap between A6 and Hoosier wet territory).
Old 05-17-2010, 02:11 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scootin159
If you don't need pure performance, and do plan on driving on the street (much at all) - I'd go for the R888's though. You're probably only giving up ~1s on a 60s course, but you'll get 10x the usable life out of the tire. They're also probably "the" tire to have in light rain (the gap between A6 and Hoosier wet territory).
Thanks to everybody who chimed in. It`s more or less what I wanted to hear.
Will be looking up sales on frisby to get good r888 set now... they have decent prices for 18" sets but not for 19" unfortunately. May be I will simply deprecate this 19" set completely as I almost never ride on streets now so 'show factor' is no longer even relevant... Finding storage for all those rims sets is really a PITA.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:34 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I just noticed - some R888 tires have 'RD' in names, like 305/30ZR19 102Y RD.
What does it stand for?

I also see they added new size in 18" - 315/30ZR18 98Y. Does it have same exact compound as 305/35ZR18?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:02 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Full tread Kumho V700 might also serve your purpose. In between fast street tires and R-compounds.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A club racer who also autocrosses? Blasphemy ... Go with the R888s... If its PCA, it really doesn't matter anyway.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:12 AM
ricky47
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Tire rotation or rotating tires is the practice of moving automobile wheels and tires from one position on the car, to another, to ensure even tire wear. Tire wear is uneven for any number of reasons. Even tire wear is desirable to maintain consistent performance in the vehicle and to extend the overall life of a set of tires.

By design, the weight on the front and rear axles differs which causes uneven wear. With the majority of cars being front-engine cars, the front axle typically bears more of the weight. For rear wheel drive vehicles, the weight distribution between front and back approaches 50:50. Front wheel drive vehicles also have the differential in front, adding to the weight, with a typical weight distribution of no better than 60:40. This means, all else being equal, the front tires wear out at almost twice the rate of the rear wheels, especially when factoring the additional stress that braking puts on the front tires. Thus, tire rotation needs to occur more frequently for front-wheel drive vehicles.

car covers

Last edited by ricky47; 05-23-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Best practice tires?