Notices

What to bring for a first Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by todd.
I'm participating in my first autocross @ Fort Devens, MA. I've got my approved helmet, but have a few questions.

- What to wear, are shorts & t-shirt okay, or are pants & long sleeves required?
- Best race number tape to use on a blue car?
- gloves, yes or no?
- Does everything have to be removed from windshield(fast lane transponder, radar detector), trunk, glove box, center console etc.?

Thanks.
1) Weather dependant. Closed toed shoes.
2) Check the group you run with... Sometimes Cabs/converts get away with a shoe polish number on the Front window. If cold enough, you may have your windows up, so you can put numbers on the back windows...
3) Gloves are personal. I like them in really HOT weather to prevent sweat on my hands from getting the wheel slippery.
4) Its best to REMOVE EVERYTHING thats loose in the car and empty trunks as well. At the very least, it will rattle, make noise and annoy you. At worst it flies out and hits you. Bring a garbage bag or small tarp to lay your stuff on in the parking area.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Shorts and t-shirt are just fine for autocross. Sandles and flip-flops can be worn for walk-throughs and around the paddock, but you have to wear close-toed shoes to drive. And I'd advise wearing good shoes when course working, too; never know if/when you'll have to move VERY quickly.

Don't worry about hitting cones; they buff out, really! You could put some tape on the corners to extra-protect your paint and ease the cleaning job if you wanted. You should never try to hit cones, but if you don't hit one every once in a while, you're doing something wrong; you're either not going fast enough, or staying too far from the cones. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about this on your first race, though. Just push your car harder than you've ever pushed it before and enjoy yourself

I think white numbers look nice (and are easily legible) on blue cars. Personal preference, but I HATE tape on windows. Standard tan masking tape will show up well on blue paint.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:28 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

***I have a broken windshield from a road hazard last week. The OEM replacement windshield was ordered last Friday(hopefully), should be in tomorrow for a Thursday install. On the off chance it doesn't get installed until Friday, do you think the windshield will be fully cured for autocross Sunday? Is a Thursday install even going to be okay? It's not going to be the desirable 90° dry heat for quick curing. Damn, it better come in this week, I've already taken all this great advice and will be prepared.
i think for your first event you should stop worrying about all that. just have fun.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is no rain in the forecast, here's what I would do for temporary numbers.

If you know them in advance then print them on paper using a font size of 144points or larger then tape the number sheets to your car using blue painters tape.

If you don't know the numbers in advance then buy some other color painters tape, like orange or white. You can find it if you look hard enough.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

***I have a broken windshield from a road hazard last week. The OEM replacement windshield was ordered last Friday(hopefully), should be in tomorrow for a Thursday install. On the off chance it doesn't get installed until Friday, do you think the windshield will be fully cured for autocross Sunday? Is a Thursday install even going to be okay? It's not going to be the desirable 90° dry heat for quick curing. Damn, it better come in this week, I've already taken all this great advice and will be prepared.
When you get the windshield installed they'll give you orders about how to drive for the next few days. I believe when I got mine it was something along the lines of don't drive for an hour and don't drive with the windows open for another 24 hours or something like that. It cures surprisingly quick though, IIRC you're fine to do whatever after 24 hours, but take the installers advise over mine.

I wouldn't worry about the windshield at autocross anymore than driving on the highway.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:08 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should I bring a chair?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:27 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Should I bring a chair?
I do not think you`ll have much time to sit in it but you can bring everything that fits your trunk.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 00r101
If there is no rain in the forecast, here's what I would do for temporary numbers.

If you know them in advance then print them on paper using a font size of 144points or larger then tape the number sheets to your car using blue painters tape.

If you don't know the numbers in advance then buy some other color painters tape, like orange or white. You can find it if you look hard enough.
Can you say (or somebody else who uses them) - those magnetic door numbers - do they hold on doors OK?

http://www.edecals.com/custom/door_numbers.html
Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always bring a chair, don't know if I've ever actually sat in it though...

The magnetic door numbers work great as long as you aren't driving a Corvette
Old 05-12-2010, 11:34 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A chair's nice to have. Magnetic numbers are a must once you're a regular with a regular number, but aren't a great option for someone's first autocross since they may not be able to predict the number they'll get.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:38 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Can you say (or somebody else who uses them) - those magnetic door numbers - do they hold on doors OK?

http://www.edecals.com/custom/door_numbers.html
Magnets work terrific, everyone (but corvettes) uses them.

If you're looking for a supplier, Jeff Rooney @n2cad does excellent numbers and has very good prices, too. ($40 for a half set, $80 for a full set- both sets include numbers for both sides.) http://n2cad.com/content/view/52/153/ He's a local autocrosser here, and most of the guys in our club use his numbers. He's done some nice Porsche helmet decals, too
Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 PM
lexart
Racer

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Magnets work terrific, everyone (but corvettes) uses them.
Getting ready to bring my new TT to Devens this weekend after a long absence. Tried out my newly ordered magnetic numbers just to discover that its not only Corvettes . . .

What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited by lexart; 12-12-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^
Aluminum doors on Turbo
Old 05-14-2010, 10:52 PM
lexart
Racer

^^^^
Aluminum doors on Turbo
Yes, the Turbo has aluminum doors and front hood.

I found a spot on the front fender that just enough room to fit the numbers. I hope they stay on . . .

I'll bring some blue tape just in case. My number is scientifically designed to apply with just four strips of tape per side
Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

^^^^
Aluminum doors on Turbo
DOH! Which Porsches have aluminum doors?

Quick Reply: What to bring for a first Autocross