Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

It blends right in when you wax it.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:13 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by amp-993C2
Yes, just back from Devens with deep black ugly cone marks on my clear plastic left stone guard, arghh!

Quick trip to HD, got Goof-Off and Magic Eraser pad. After quite a bit of spraying, rubbing, sweating, cursing - most of the black cone residue is off. Now the problem is that the stone guard plastic is looking rather dull where most of the rubbing occurred.

Have to figure out if/how to polish this dulness out - looks, not so good

Anyone had succes polishing their stone guard or 3M clear bra'ed parts?
told ya - I look like an idiot with all that blue tape on fenders and front, I know, but I already learned my lesson last year an this year I am contributing to success of wide blue tapes sales.

Try to rub it gently with goo-off, it will come off. It may take more than an hour per side - like I said - major PITA. Correct note about waxing - it helps. But do not rub ever too hard - do it gently with paper towels and it will all come off, eventually.

Last edited by utkinpol; 05-31-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:25 PM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, just back from Devens with deep black ugly cone marks on my clear plastic left stone guard, arghh!

Quick trip to HD, got Goof-Off and Magic Eraser pad. After quite a bit of spraying, rubbing, sweating, cursing - most of the black cone residue is off. Now the problem is that the stone guard plastic is looking rather dull where most of the rubbing occurred.

Have to figure out if/how to polish this dulness out - looks, not so good

Anyone had succes polishing their stone guard or 3M clear bra'ed parts?
Get an orbital polisher then use Blue Coral Metal Polish all marks come off. ONLY USE IT ON YOUR CLEAR BRA. After doing this a few times the areas you polish will start to look dull. Just apply any wax (I use Mothers Carnuba) with the orbital (and a different pad of course).

I know people will think I am nuts for using metal polish but its just my plastic stone guard not the paint. It works and its easy.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 PM
00r101
Racer

Originally Posted by sjfehr
DOH! Which Porsches have aluminum doors?
GT2, GT3, GT3RS, Turbo, Boxster Spyder
Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 PM
lexart
Racer

Originally Posted by utkinpol
told ya - I look like an idiot with all that blue tape on fenders and front, I know, but I already learned my lesson last year an this year I am contributing to success of wide blue tapes sales.

Try to rub it gently with goo-off, it will come off. It may take more than an hour per side - like I said - major PITA. Correct note about waxing - it helps. But do not rub ever too hard - do it gently with paper towels and it will all come off, eventually.
I rubbed, I rubbed and then rubbed some more

The cone marks were rather deep and wide, so it took a lot of muscle to rub the darn marks off. Using magic eraser pad saturated with goo-off 2, water-based formula. Eventually I was able to rub off the cone marks but in the process the stone guard acquired this matte finish . . .

In retrospect I should've taken a bit longer and used something other then magic eraser pad, oh well . . .

I'm a firm believer in taping up with blue tape as well. There's no shame in it. For some reason this time I taped up just the front bottom left/right corners and completely forgot about the rear flared out sections of the fenders. Hit the cone on my second run and taped up the rear fenders after the first session but the damage was done . . .
Old 05-31-2010, 11:35 PM
lexart
Racer

Originally Posted by 00r101
Get an orbital polisher then use Blue Coral Metal Polish all marks come off. ONLY USE IT ON YOUR CLEAR BRA. After doing this a few times the areas you polish will start to look dull. Just apply any wax (I use Mothers Carnuba) with the orbital (and a different pad of course).

I know people will think I am nuts for using metal polish but its just my plastic stone guard not the paint. It works and its easy.
After masking off the stone guard area, I've tried, using Porter-Cable DA and varying pads the following products:

1. Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish - high hopes but this did absolutely nothing

2. Meguiar's ScratchX - again, zilch

3. Meguiar's M205 Ultra Fine Polish - leveled the area off and gave uniform matte finish

4. Meguiar's Fine Swirl Marks product (can't remember the exact name) - some minor improvement, but not much difference from M205 Polish

5. Zaino Z-2 Pro Show Car Polish - applied 4 coats. Some improvement is now noticeable

I'll apply a few more coats of Zaino Z-2 as this seemed to make the most improvement . . .
Old 06-01-2010, 10:11 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

In retrospect I should've taken a bit longer and used something other then magic eraser pad, oh well . . .
I use regular paper towel only for such stuff... You should be able to polish those guards I think, there are products for this. Or just get new ones, it is still not an excessively expensive item.

I broke my right front wheel inside plastic guard, it did split in half right in the middle and suncoast porsche does not sale it for some reason, that`s a pain. need to find it somewhere else now.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:12 PM
lexart
Racer

. . . Or just get new ones, it is still not an excessively expensive item.
That's the next move, I think. Done polishing this thing - I'm not much of a detailer. The replacement Stone Guard is around $40 from Suncoast. Would be a nice winter project. There're plenty DIY threads on how to replace your stone guards . . .

To get back on topic;

I noticed this white plastic cling wrap type of material covering the back side of an Elise this Sun. Looks like it comes in large sheets and can be cut to size. I presume it reusable and maybe a quick way to cover rear fender area ahead of the wheels. Does anyone know what the material is and where to source it?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:20 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I noticed this white plastic cling wrap type of material covering the back side of an Elise this Sun. Looks like it comes in large sheets and can be cut to size. I presume it reusable and maybe a quick way to cover rear fender area ahead of the wheels. Does anyone know what the material is and where to source it?
I do not think it is reusable... Looks nice but IMHO wide blue tape is still way cheaper...

We can ask Tom at next NCR event on 12th - he most likely will be there.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

That's the next move, I think. Done polishing this thing - I'm not much of a detailer. The replacement Stone Guard is around $40 from Suncoast. Would be a nice winter project. There're plenty DIY threads on how to replace your stone guards . . .

To get back on topic;

3M makes the white stuff that you saw on the Lotus, maybe. I have a roll of the stuff in my truck if you want to try it. You will need to tape the leading edges though. Self stick shelf liner or something called Contact Paper also works. I think you can get it at Walmart, if you can tolerate going into one of those stores.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:41 PM
thealexman
Advanced

I do not think it is reusable... Looks nice but IMHO wide blue tape is still way cheaper...

We can ask Tom at next NCR event on 12th - he most likely will be there.

Hey Paul, do you know if NCR allows people to register at the event? Once again, I was unsure of my availability and registration closed before I could commit. Hope they do, and to see ya there.

-Alex
Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thealexman
Hey Paul, do you know if NCR allows people to register at the event? Once again, I was unsure of my availability and registration closed before I could commit. Hope they do, and to see ya there.

-Alex
sorry man did not see your message, usually you can come to those NCR/NER events and just register there if you are PCA member and you are I guess.
It will be $10 more than pre-registration but it is OK.

Quick Reply: What to bring for a first Autocross