Few Q's on 3.2 Carrera for autox build

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Jason,

I have driven 2002M3Drew 1983 911 SC. We used to run together in my 996 GT3 with the same lap times, same deal when we both drove the 911 SC. As far as I remember, at the local NJ asphalt 40 secs courses, the SC was around 2 secs slower than my GT3, both cars on A6.

I think a Carrera in STR is a competitive car if you can make it a CS clone. I have read about the CS using lighter valves due to the increased RPM, but other than this and the ECU mapping (free in STR), all the other differences are purely cosmetic and easily duplicated with a non-sunroof 1984-1989 Carrera.

I spoke with a Porsche engine builder friend of mine, and with stock internals, custom intake/exhaust/ecu, 220 ft/lb at the wheels is guaranteed and reliable.

You want to run 15" wheels/tires to improve gearing, as 2nd gear is too tall in the 915 and G50.

I think Drew's car was at 2,560 lbs with low fuel and stock bulky seats and heavy duck tail, A/C delete.

OSGiken makes a nice diff for the G50.

I have traqmate data of Drew's car on A6 and a stock 996 GT3 on R6 (both on fresh tires), and the 911SC exceeds the corner speed of the 996 GT3 at all the turns. The SC can use a lot more power, Drew's car doesn't have a LSD and I don't think it needs it.

Low 2,500 lbs is what I think a Carrera CS clone on 15" LW wheels can reach. I know of a 2,400 lbs Euro Carrera with Kirkey seats and rear seats delete, a/c delete, 15" wheels, but no idea how stock is the body.

These cars don't suffer from the S2000 fuel starvation.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 PM
j-rho
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rad,
I think sub 2400 is attainable in STR trim with a mostly full CS conversion. The power numbers are a bit optimistic I think as one would have to still run a cat, though it can be very high-flow. Also, intake can only be modified up to the throttle body, and the stock MAF sensor must be retained.

How about you pick one up and I'll build and tune it for ya?

Quick Reply: Few Q's on 3.2 Carrera for autox build