Notices

996 turbo autocrossing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Another benefit of PSM-off is that it shows you clearly which end isn't sticking and needs
help. PSM will make an 'artificially neutral' car by preventing the problem from showing
up, but if you knew your car needed more bar in the front, for example, and got it, the
car would suddenly be better and faster, whether with PSM on or not.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:28 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Last weekend's course ended up being really tight and I was just plain overdriving it and smashing cones left and right so I found excuse- yet again- to leave PSM on. One of these days I'll finally practice driving with it off and see how much of a difference it really makes for me.
Keep in mind that you'll never become a better driver if you let PSM save you from your driving errors instead of learning how to avoid making them in the first place...
Old 05-11-2009, 05:30 AM
twinsnail
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
My Boxster is a tip; I drive in manual mode when racing autocross. May be N/A for you because of the differences with turbo lag, etc. I leave it in auto for the street just because it is so smart; with the right throttle input, it'll downshift from 5th to 2nd at highway speeds for passing, and then jump right back to 5th. I can't do that in M! For autocross, there's little reason not to use M, though, as you'll always be going sequentially through the gears to take maximum advantage of your power curve.

Last weekend's course ended up being really tight and I was just plain overdriving it and smashing cones left and right so I found excuse- yet again- to leave PSM on. One of these days I'll finally practice driving with it off and see how much of a difference it really makes for me. If nothing else, there's an Evo school in the fall.
thx, AX'd this weekend in manual with PSM off; less complex for me (the turbo lag is a significant variable for me and the CPU) Speaking of cones; hit one and noticed that the car had lost front and rear grip on the next run......a cone ripped my right radiator drain plug out and I was driving on coolant; a potentially interersting way to buy some real estate
Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Hi, yeah, I've posted about that issue with the 996tt... That area of the
radiator is very vulnerable. I broke two before having a metal guard
plate manufactured and installed...
Old 05-12-2009, 05:03 AM
twinsnail
Rennlist Member

thx, my mechanic was at the event and noted that real porsches can't have water leaks (made me miss my old Carrera) would you happen to have any pictures of your modification? Also, do you see many 996tt's at your PCA events? We have few (me only?) at the S Diego PCA events. I would like to run my car against some other tt's
Old 05-12-2009, 05:12 AM
twinsnail
Rennlist Member

thx Joe, appreciate that. These are pretty complex cars from a driving standpoint We are sorting alot of info from variable AWD, the computer, the transmission and the boost. I think this developes a different kind of skill set. When I ride with instructors they seem perplexed by all of the things that the car can do
For example a slow corner exit can be 1. my poor technique (usually is) 2. automatic upshifting 3. lag
4. AWD searching for grip Do you agree?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Hi, I don't have a picture, but I'll post one if I can get one. Yes there are several 996tts
and 997tts autocrossing up here in PCA (only one gutted GT2 in SCCA though). The car
is complicated to get it perfect in autocross. The initial big problem is understeer. You
fix that by wider wheels and tires in front and an autocross alignment. I don't have any
experience with the TIP, but I imagine I'd want to get it to stay in second gear.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:37 AM
twinsnail
Rennlist Member

yep, car had major, emabarrasing oversteer;fixed that with corner balancing, OEM 996tt european springs and heavy duty Bilsteins (all of that just shifted some weight forward) with 8.5's and 5mm spacers up front. The car will rotate now, even on a dry track. I agree that 2nd gear would do for most of what I want. I am the only guy driving this particular car so I have to figure all of this out independently Turbos are not real popular in our group for AX, DE or TT's
Old 05-15-2009, 01:58 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd like to add one more bit of experience with the PSM on/off ordeal...

At an "autocross" (it was really a very small track event) at the BMW plant in Spartanburg, SC test track, it began to rain at the end of the day. So I turned on my traction control for the first time all day and drove extra-carefully because BMW traction control comes on very, very early. I got my fastest time driving in the rain with the control on, driving the least hard....

...so just remember that driving carefully and smoothly (as you would to avoid the PSM from kicking on) is often faster than driving too aggressively.

Quick Reply: 996 turbo autocrossing