Notices

skid pad setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
nosubt2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default skid pad setup?

Am entering the One lap of America again this year and we have had a wet and dry skid pad in the events each year.
I have not found any discussion on the best setup for a skid pad.
sway bars settings?
tire presures?
Anyone know of the best setup to max the G's??
Mark
Old 03-04-2009, 02:54 PM
lolayay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have lots of tire rolling. So pump up your tire pressure +5 of your original setting, or the rolling will eat into the tire wall. Bring the shoe polish to measure if the pressure is too low/high on the day.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd guess you'd want a combination of an autocross setup and a circle track setup....
Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ideally, you would use a skidpad to get the baseline suspension settings and tire pressures sorted out. So, if you are investing the $$$$ to do 1 Lap, you need to find a place to set up a skidpad and do some car set-up. The skidpad should be large enough to allow you to circle at mid-rpm in 2nd gear at least.

You will want to be able to adjust swaybars and possibly spring rates, camber/caster/rear toe, tire pressures. You will need a stop watch or other timing mechanism and a tire pyrometer. If you spend time getting the car to circle the skidpad in the least time possible with fairly neutral balance (understeer vs. oversteer) and tire temps even across the tread, you will end up with a really solid baseline setting.

Then you need to take the car to the track and see how it works through high speed and low speed corners. This will allow you to fine tune the suspension to make it more consistent and driveable on the track. I think the track setup is more important than the skidpad setup for the purpose of 1 Lap scoring, is it not?

My guess is that your ideal track set-up will now yield slight understeer around the skidpad. At that event, softening the front swaybar, or stiffening the rear, or significantly increasing rear tire pressure (or some combination thereof) may help the car rotate better. Also, remember that the fastest way around a skidpad is to take the tightest line possible around the cones and avoid pushing wide or sliding the car excessively.

Sounds like fun. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

You'd have to find the tire pressures and all FROM the skid pad. Set one up, run, adjust, run again, repeat. I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time tuning my car on the skid pad next month when my autocross club sets it up for the cone clinic.

Quick Reply: skid pad setup?