Notices

Funny Noob Comment at an AX

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Funny Noob Comment at an AX

I was attending a UFO AX event in Marina Airfield, Ca this past weekend to test out some suspension changes.

I heard an off the wall comment as a EVO was bouncing off its rev limter around a turn. VrgVrgVrgVrgVrgVrgVrgVrg The female next to me stated "OMG. I love that sound, I don't know what it is..."

Huh???, that's the dumb driver trying to kill his car in 1st gear and going slower by not shifting to 2nd. All I can think about was valve float valve float.

I did okay, the changes netted a understeering 996 with a rear end that did not rotate like it did previously. I wasn't aggressive on the throttle in some areas.
UFO Video of a 53.5xx Run
Old 04-10-2008, 02:18 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not be so quick to say he should have shifted. I hit my limter on a regular basis. I think the time lost from hitting my rev limiter is less than the time I lose making two shifts.

One of our really fast guys used to run his boxster in first and hit the rev limiter regularly. Typically he was TTOD or close to it. It all depends on the course and your gearing.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:11 AM
springgeyser
Racer

If one was driving on a real tight course I can understand staying in first, the course layout was really open if you looked at my video. He was bouncing off the rev limter (:46 mark on my video) on the straight from one end to the other then overshot the double apex leading to the chincane. If the person modulated the throttle in first that would be faster than bouncing off of it, IMO.

The same attendees also thought understeering cars severely plowing through the turns was exciting. It reminded me to "slow in, fast out."
Old 04-11-2008, 02:18 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since Mitsubishi is known for having employees troll autox forums for names/cars that are used in events, I'd bet this guy is pretty screwed!

Bouncing off the limiter may save some tenths in ome circumstances, though only the owner can decide if those tenths are worth the thousandths it will cost for a new powertrain!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:59 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of provocative phrases like "kill his car" and "thousands it will cost for a new powertrain" flying around, but while riding rev limiter is a fairly common practice, I've never seen a stock motor let go at an autocross. It may not have been the case in this instance, but sometimes riding the limiter just makes sense if you don't have time to execute an upshift, get on the power, then downshift again before the next corner.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:04 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't actually call that an autocross (still looked quite fun). I'm with PedalFaster, however I do see there appeared to plenty of time for someone to make the up-shift on that course.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:44 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Riding a rev limiter common is something I have not ever seen in PCA GGR AX. There is a difference if you don't upshift and keep in a higher rev range. Maybe it is fairly common for people that don't now how to shift or a Boxster thing.

The one time I hit the rev limiter at a DE my 996 (was trying to pass another car), the fuel cutoff was severe and it took a second to recover. If it was a AX, I can't see how 'riding rev limiter' can help.

Anyways you guys took the initial posting out of context and made it serious. Lighten up. If I had a video of the comments, you all would understand...
Old 04-19-2008, 02:24 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Originally Posted by springgeyser
If it was a AX, I can't see how 'riding rev limiter' can help.
In a Boxster, you hit rev limiter in second at around 70 mph. That means in sections where there isn't enough room for an upshift, I can drive on limiter at 70 mph, or I can drive below the limiter at a speed below 70 mph. 70 mph is faster than less than 70 mph -- pretty straightforward.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:19 AM
springgeyser
Racer

Pedalfaster- we are talking about the same thing. Driving at the 'redline' rpm before the limiter kicks in versus bouncing off the rev limiter.

The people on Rennlist are too serious. Ever here the adage RPM= Ruin People's Motor.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:07 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Riding a rev limiter common is something I have not ever seen in PCA GGR AX. There is a difference if you don't upshift and keep in a higher rev range. Maybe it is fairly common for people that don't now how to shift or a Boxster thing.

The one time I hit the rev limiter at a DE my 996 (was trying to pass another car), the fuel cutoff was severe and it took a second to recover. If it was a AX, I can't see how 'riding rev limiter' can help.

Anyways you guys took the initial posting out of context and made it serious. Lighten up. If I had a video of the comments, you all would understand...
I think using your rev limter is based on the courses design. For us in Portland, our courses have very few long straights and fairly tight turns (we are limited by the space we can use to layout the course).

When I hit my limiter, it is typically a very short section before the next turn. I have maybe 2-3 seconds. From what I have esperienced, the time I send upshifting and then a few seconds later downshifting causes me to lose more time then just letting the engine intermittently cut out in the lower gear.

I wish we had enough room for a couse that would allow us to get into third gear and stay there.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:49 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Pedalfaster- we are talking about the same thing. Driving at the 'redline' rpm before the limiter kicks in versus bouncing off the rev limiter.
Actually, no, I'm talking about bouncing off of the rev limiter. An example is around the 57 second mark in this video. I hit the rev limiter and don't have enough time to upshift and downshift instead, so I just ride the limiter for fifteen yards or so. If I'd let off of the gas for that period of time, I would have slowed down and upset the car, neither of which is a good thing.

I agree that riding the limiter down an entire straight is a bad idea -- if you have enough time to shift up, get some meaningful acceleration done, then heel-toe your way back down again, you should. But there are instances where this isn't feasible, and in those instances, riding the limiter is the fastest way to go.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:13 AM
J P Stein
Instructor

Stephen:
After several years reading about GGR being the center of the AX world, come August I'm towing down there for the 914 Shootout at Marina. I'll give you a report
when I see you at the Packwood NT 2 weeks later.

Limiters are made to be ridden......ya'll can quote me.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:37 AM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

a Boxster thing.
Could be LOL!

I got your original context. I think hitting the limiter is ok, in moderation. Obviously the instance you describe would not be considered moderate and It is pretty funny that girl liked the sound. Scared the begezzez out of me the first time I ever hit a rev limiter Bap-Bap-Bap-Bap-Bap-Bap-Bap-Bap!

But as strongly as you believe you should avoid hitting the rev limiter I strongly dislike perpetuating the idea that hitting the rev limiter is a disastrous thing. We can agree to disagree on that.

Perhaps I would be a bit more cautious if any of my vehicles were still under warranty.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:31 AM
springgeyser
Racer

For the AX events I attended there was not really a need for 3rd gear (just modulated the thrrottle if I was topping out in 2nd ocaasionally). Once it was in 2nd, I stayed there and drove accordingly. Each person treats their cars differently, I don't drop the clutch or hit the rev limiter if I can help it. I've seen what valve float can do to a (nonPorsche) engine and the tenth I lose from not launching quicker is not big deal. I have to drive home in the same car so...

The UFO organizers are fun to run with except in the afternoon when the drifters...YES drifters come on the course. Explains the wide open course layouts. So that brings out a different crowd of enthusiast. All the 'high school' comments were funny and entertaining.

Apology for the Boxster comment (that was a joke), the veteran drivers with a Boxster would probably be a bit faster than me in my own car.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:10 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Apology for the Boxster comment (that was a joke)
I got it It's all good. Were not that serious.

Drifters eh? Yeah, I bet that is entertaining!

Quick Reply: Funny Noob Comment at an AX