Notices

Should I autocross? Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:21 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Should I autocross? Yes or No

I’ve been considering autocrossing my 996 C2 at an upcoming PCA autocross in Hershey, PA. I have never autocrossed before and I am undecided about whether or not to enter the event for the following reasons:

1.) The event is about an hour drive from my house and I am not too keen on the idea of driving for almost two hours(round trip) to run for approx. 5-6 minutes on the course.
2.) I have limited track time, although none in my 996, but I just cannot see how driving around cones in a parking lot can quench my need for speed.
3.) I feel that the course may be too obscure for me to follow as the whole course is not lined with cones. On a dedicated racetrack, obviously it is easy to see the course layout but an autocross course seems too imaginary to really follow or get excited about given that there is no clear boundary markers in many places.

Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated. TIA for any responses.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:41 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AX will teach you a lot about the car. The MPH might be "slow" but there is a lot of action. You will also find many people that will be happy to help you out. Try it, you do not have to go back. There are many people that do both.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
I’ve been considering autocrossing my 996 C2 at an upcoming PCA autocross in Hershey, PA. I have never autocrossed before and I am undecided about whether or not to enter the event for the following reasons:

1.) The event is about an hour drive from my house and I am not too keen on the idea of driving for almost two hours(round trip) to run for approx. 5-6 minutes on the course.
2.) I have limited track time, although none in my 996, but I just cannot see how driving around cones in a parking lot can quench my need for speed.
3.) I feel that the course may be too obscure for me to follow as the whole course is not lined with cones. On a dedicated racetrack, obviously it is easy to see the course layout but an autocross course seems too imaginary to really follow or get excited about given that there is no clear boundary markers in many places.

I don't have a tremendous amount of track or autocross experience, just PDE and a season of autocross with my local PCA club, but let me encourage you to go!

Speed is relative and even though you may not be going 100mph you will be driving fast. You will have to make split second decisions on line, turns, braking, acceleration, etc. and you will think you are driving very fast. Your adrenalin level will spike dramatically and you will be breathing heavy!

You will probably also begin to appreciate your car a lot more and learn a great deal about how it handles. You may get to see dramatic loss of control at speeds you wouldn't want to see on the street or the track. The drivers and their cars will probably be unhurt (unlike the track or road) but it will be pretty interesting to watch.

If you subsequently decide to do DE's or track days any of the time you spent autocrossing will be a big help to you also.

As far as the course being obscure I understand your concern. But when you get out on the course and walk it, or drive it slowly, which you will be required to do, it will all make sense. Don't let the cones worry you, when you finally get to drive it you'll do fine.

I'd like to have more runs per day for sure but the ones I get in are worth the time. In addition to driving you usually work and there's lots of time for visiting with other drivers and it's just generally a good time. If you find some guys who are close to you in time then the competitive blood starts to come up and it's even more fun (especially if they have faster cars) because now you start to push and see where the edge is.

Finally, I'd tell you that autocrossing DOESN'T give me anywhere near the same level of concern that the track does with respect to: getting hurt (my road car has no special seat, racing harness or HANS device) or having a huge unwanted financial hit (wreck) and it's a lot cheaper on consumables.

Go, have a great time, and give us a report!

Tony
The following users liked this post:
silverlock (12-25-2022)
Old 03-27-2008, 01:30 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WAC
I don't have a tremendous amount of track or autocross experience, just PDE and a season of autocross with my local PCA club, but let me encourage you to go!

Speed is relative and even though you may not be going 100mph you will be driving fast. You will have to make split second decisions on line, turns, braking, acceleration, etc. and you will think you are driving very fast. Your adrenalin level will spike dramatically and you will be breathing heavy!

You will probably also begin to appreciate your car a lot more and learn a great deal about how it handles. You may get to see dramatic loss of control at speeds you wouldn't want to see on the street or the track. The drivers and their cars will probably be unhurt (unlike the track or road) but it will be pretty interesting to watch.

If you subsequently decide to do DE's or track days any of the time you spent autocrossing will be a big help to you also.

As far as the course being obscure I understand your concern. But when you get out on the course and walk it, or drive it slowly, which you will be required to do, it will all make sense. Don't let the cones worry you, when you finally get to drive it you'll do fine.

I'd like to have more runs per day for sure but the ones I get in are worth the time. In addition to driving you usually work and there's lots of time for visiting with other drivers and it's just generally a good time. If you find some guys who are close to you in time then the competitive blood starts to come up and it's even more fun (especially if they have faster cars) because now you start to push and see where the edge is.

Finally, I'd tell you that autocrossing DOESN'T give me anywhere near the same level of concern that the track does with respect to: getting hurt (my road car has no special seat, racing harness or HANS device) or having a huge unwanted financial hit (wreck) and it's a lot cheaper on consumables.

Go, have a great time, and give us a report!

Tony
Tony,

Well said.

I have been Autocrossing for about 5 years now and it satisfies my competetive need without risking me or my car. And you are right, being quick can be more fun than being fast. Oddly, I find DE's very relaxing because I have all kinds of time to plan each turn and they do not change from event to event.

For our undecided friend, I would tell him to "go for it". If he can, attend a few local AX's to get a feel for how they work. I am sure the other fellows there will be thrilled to help get him started. At our events, we offer free instruction to all takers since, if they aren;t having fun, they won't come back.

go out, have fun.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes...!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 AM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on everyone's comments above.

Dream- I said the same thing years ago. Spend an entire day to be on the course 5-8 minutes? It is actually more than that. Just being on the course and seeing how other faster drivers take a better line to shave a few tenth of a sec...sitting in the passenger seat with a faster driver to realize how much finesse is involve between throttle and braking at the right points (I tend to overbrake)...be able to drive 9/10th without worries of going 'offroad'.

Being able to be with a group of enthusiasts is priceless.

HPDE is nonracing fun, but I'll never take the car close to the limit like I can at an AX course.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:10 AM
michel944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may give you the definitive hit...Listen, I have 20+ years in motorsport and I began my career with auto-x and never stopped. Along the way I entered performance rallying, ice racing and I won two Formula Ford championships in my country....and even after all that I always had as much fun autocrossing than doing ANYTHING else !

Why ? Because it's cheap, it's friendly and the amount of physical and mental energy you are giving up during a 1 or 1.5 minute run is not found anywhere else in motorsport ! God I love this...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I encourage you to try it. If you don't think it's worth the time and effort, scratch it off your bucket list. If you get hooked instead, there's always autocrossers anonymous (the other AA).

I've been autoxing and tracking for over 20 years. The 50 or so seconds on the autox course is more intense than a session on track. A one-hour drive for me would be to my "home" course. More frequently I drive for over four hours round trip for four minutes on course. I'm a 20-year veteran of AA.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 PM
racer
Drifting

Go for it. Heck, if nothing else, you will enjoy your Porsche for 2 hours of drive time (to and from the event), meet some people who also have Porsches and have some fun. Downside? you become addicted and spend countless hours and dollars improving you and your car
Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Getting lost on the course in a "sea of cones" should not happen. We mark the lines with flour to help everyone stay on course.

Walking the course, looking at each turn will be a big help. Try to identify cones where you should turn in and the apex cones.

If there is a drive thru prior to the first run, hang back from the car in front of you. I remember my first AX doing the drive. I followed the car in front of me and then when it came time to drive it solo, I did get a DNF first run. On the drive thru I followed the car in front of me and did not follow the course. This was before we started marking the course with flour.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

hey, I'm driving an hour each way from my house on Saturday just to instruct at a PCA Autocross School. Having done over 80 PCA Club races and countless DE's, I still get a mega thrill when I autocross.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you like to have fun, yes you should.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

truthfully, until you learn to drive ax really well, you don't know how to drive. I think we increase our skill set for the street and track hugely by auto-x-ing.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:30 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera

No, you should not autocross.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it is very much appreciated.

Everyone’s enthusiasm is contagious and I am certainly leaning more towards giving autocross a try than before starting this thread.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Should I autocross? Yes or No