Notices

996 SCCA - Stock AutoX Prep

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 SCCA - Stock AutoX Prep

OK... I've gotten a pretty good handle on tire pressures for the car in Canadian AutoX Stock class.

Now my club is moving to SCCA rules next year and I'm starting to plan mods to max performance while staying in Stock. I'd appreciate feedback on my plans, or any new suggestions. I have a 2002 996 C2 on 18" Carrera 2 rims.

Suspension:
Currently running stock suspension. I was hoping to get ROW M030 suspension, but am thinking it will bump me out of Stock. Is this true? Would US M030 be ok, or am I limited to swapping shocks and installing a front sway? If that's the case, any recommendations?

Tires:
Currently running Continentals. I have no plans to go to R-compound. Had very good success in a 350Z on Azenis RT-615s and was thinking of going that way. 245/40/18 & 275/35/18. This will raise the back end by 0.5" from the increase in diameter but they are sticky, wider, and cheap. My other thought is 295 PS2s, but they aren't as sticky and pretty pricey IMHO. Maybe there'll by more competition & sizes next spring too... How wide in the back can I go on a 10" rim?

Alignment:
No idea - I need to search the forum, unless somebody has some good numbers to use.

Engine:
Intake - stock, staying away from K&N drop-in
Exhaust - stock PSE, am not convinced aftermarket will give me appreciable gains.

Anything else?

Thanks again,

Joe
Old 08-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Suspension: Yes, going to RoW M030 would put you into ASP. I called SCCA on that one. You can have any Porsche OEM suspension (M030, X74) that you could have ordered the car with from a US dealer when the car was first purchased. So M030, but the US version. Having used the RoW M030 on my C4 and only having read about the X74, I'd go with the X74.
Tires: Best street tires for auto-x right now are the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07. I'd say second best was the Michelin Pilot Sport Rib but it suffers when you don't have more than -2deg camber on the rear. Stay with the stock tire widths for that rim; wider isn't going to make you any faster, it'll just get sloppy.
Alignment: You put the max negative camber on the front that you can get. That varies from car to car and with how low your suspension is. With RoW M030 I got -0.5; some get -1. It's another reason to go with the X74 as that is the lowest stock suspension. On the rear I went with -1 more than the front, so -1.5 for me. Guys who can get -2 to -2.5 on the front keep -2.5 on the rear.
Engine: Really can't make it any faster. I suppose you could have the power kit installed but that's a lot of money for very little power increase.
Have fun! I had a blast with mine running street tires for 5 years. You won't be competitive; you're running against the Z06 and Elise in SS, after all, but who cares?
Old 08-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Kerry got all of that.

In the Northern California region (the biggest SCCA region) we have two local classes that
have become the most popular: Stock street tire and SP/SM street tire. The rules for the cars
are exactly as stock, SP or SM rules, except the car must run street legal tires with a wear
rating of 140 or higher (Advan Neovas are very good). All stock cars with such tires can compete
in the stock street tire class, and their times are adjusted according to the relative times of the
national stock car classes, so SS cars and HS cars can compete, and SS cars have to beat HS
cars by the expected significant amount to be competitive after the adjustment. The analogous
adjustment is done for all the SP and SM cars.
This sounds like an idea whose time has come, because the single most advantageous,
expensive and un-normal-life change you must make to be competitive in the 'stock' class
is to buy and run not-really-for-street R-compound tires. The real ability to run and compete
with your real street car is a boon. The SF events average 225 entrants, and this year, and
we average 40 cars in the national 'ST' classes, and a further 23 in these two local indexed
street tire classes.

Joe Weinstein
http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results...onship/t2.html
http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results...nship/asp.html
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=112495
Old 08-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Thanks Joe/Kerry...

Guess I'll save my pennies for X74 suspension then. I'm just worried about the car still being comfortable for my daily driving though. The roads up here are a bit "lumpy". Back to the 996 area for more reading...

Tires... I'll take your suggestions under advisement. I don't do a lot of research, but my buddies who do, swear by the Azenis and I thought they were fantastic (compared to Bridgestone 040s and Continental Contact 2s at least). There was another tire this year that was faster than the Azenis when you shaved it, but that's a little extreme for me. Guess I'll have a look at the big events and see what fastest ST guys are running... then make a final decision over winter.

Alignment... gotcha... max camber I can get in the front, and add 1.0 for the rear. Any thoughts on caster (is this possible) and toe?

For the longest time, we've had Stock R & Stock Street, like you described Joe, but with the Canadian rules. We've got a group of about 65 guys that are highly competitive, but it's tough prepping our cars for two different rule sets. My buddy Noel went down to Topeka last year and picked up 2nd in F-Stock, and my buddy JT picked up 2nd (maybe 3rd) at Milwakee this year. We've got four guys going down to Topeka again this year. But next year with the same rules, we plan on having about 10 people head down to represent and bring back the hardware!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:21 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did canadian cars come with the "row" or "us" suspensions (part of me figures any car coming to North America was configured the same, but.. maybe not?)

If the 996 is like the boxster, I would stuff the largest legal size I could up front to help reduce understeer.

As mentioned, get as much negative as you can up front. With "stock" components, it could be between -.08 and -1.5 degrees. You won't get any more without changing things like control arms, shocks/springs, camber plates - some or all of which will bump you a class up.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:01 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Depending upon how much you want to win versus having fun, I would give serious thought to R compound tires for Super Stock. You are looking at 2 seconds advantage for R compound. You won't get that from the suspension upgrade.
The local SCCA groups, WNY SCCA, CNY SCCA (have belonged to SCCA for 30 years as well as PCA) do NOT run or allow Super Stock cars to compete in the STS class. I would clarify with the local SCCA group what their intent is before making a major investment in tires or suspension.
Wayne
Old 09-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Lerxst
Racer

CDN & US cars are virtually the same. I actually bought a US car and brought it up to Canada since our dollar's so strong and Canadian dealers are HUGELY overcharging for their cars. The only suspension the dealer could get me is US M030... for $1700CDN ~$1550USD, plus installation.

Our groups are seperated into R & Street (e.g. Stock R & Stock Street) so you can come have fun, and be competitive in your own class. However, the really good drivers are mostly on Rs (mostly 710s or A6s, and a couple Victoracers). I like to get there, check my pressures, and drive... I'm not big on swapping tires. Plus, I'd be worried about the extra stress on the suspension components.

Quick Reply: 996 SCCA - Stock AutoX Prep